Started on: 09-27-2020 01:43 AM
Replies: 19 (459 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 04-11-2022 07:42 AM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2020 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is Closed.
https://www.pennlive.com/bu...ted-400-jobless.html
https://www.hbsdealer.com/s...abruptly-closes-shop
or inet search for more.

While S-V blame CCPvirus and related economy and fail to sell itself... is likely also part of getting sued for false HP etc in S-V ads. Inet search shop vac lawsuit
(Others like SB&D have been or will be soon sued for same.)
Why did they claim False HP? US Electric "law" on 120v 15a plug only allows a single device pulling ~ 12a max = ~ 1.5hp and that w/ about best Efficiency and Power Factor.
Anything w/ these plugs is under "15a rules..."
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

img source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

Also shopvac.com etc was put down by the "management" not problems w/ servers/services.

Note: While some parts has equivalent parts in other brands but not all filters like many reusable types will not interchange.
So If you use reusables or bags find parts now or very soon.
Example: Some Rigid bags fit S-V and other not.

Bags?
Many use bags even tho not required because easier and cleaner to empty the units. Plus the bags keep more of fine crap in them when they are on.
Normal paper/foam often leak crap often because of user install them wrong etc. Even if you use reusable filter, these can leak at top bottom or both.
I use reusable filter and bags in one unit, while not = to High $ HEPA filter but helps more when using inside of a small space or in home.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2020 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, that sucks.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2020 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow talk about the end of an era. I've been real impressed with my Ridgid vac if anyone's looking for an alternative.

More than likely a competitor will pick up the pieces for pennies on the dollar when they start selling off assets, probably moving the equipment and tooling to Mexico or China and re-starting production eventually. In the meantime good luck getting bags and filters.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2020 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This will definitely leave a big vacuum in the shop tool sector, but I'm sure someone else will suck up the now available market share pretty quick.

I have 2 of them. One is pretty big and at least 30 years old. The other is small, only a few years old that doubles as a leaf blower which I have no use for except to clean the dead bugs off the bug zapper...Sometimes also use it to get the dried cow poop out of my truck floor board..
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2020 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

This will definitely leave a big vacuum in the shop tool sector, but I'm sure someone else will suck up the now available market share pretty quick.

A Chinese manufacturer...
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2020 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently got a ridged vac for the first time. Good bye shop vac. They suck in comparison to Ridgid.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2020 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have 4 Shop-Vac's... all bought used cheap or given and different sizes. (Also given was sears clone but trashed that except motor.)
Most parts like hoses tubes and heads got same way.

About only new part was very long hose kit to clean inside of cars so don't have to drag unit around.

Free and cheap shop-vac's (real and other brands) are easy to find because of many reasons but some main ones seem to be:
Many don't need them when whatever job is done.
Most units are too big and storage is a problem.
No-one want to clean them, not even small ones, often enough to prevent crap rotting in them.
Many "die" because people never bothered to use the OE Paper over Foam filter set right. Worse, Paper layer only for dry crap but no-one take that out before sucking "water." Some have reusables bad for same reasons. Even Wet reusables can "rot" or plug hard if let wet and stored. Is why Nearly all I've seen have just the foam or no filter because of this.

3 of mine needed some cleaning etc which also needed to take apart motor head because the last problem.

Few day ago, I bought 2 extra reusable, 1 extra foam, plenty of the basic paper filters and some small bags. I figured should last decades for my use of them.
Note: The basic paper is reusable too but doesn't last as the "engine air cleaner" types.

Install Note: Forget about using OE band to keep paper over foam in place. Use big hose clamp instead. If possible get one w/ "wing nut" screw or solder/weld a washer on the screw. Much easier to install w/o ripping paper or foam. Some "zip ties" have a release tab might work too. All you need is tighten just enough so won't move when motor is off.

Before you say other brands beat Shop-Vac...
Other brands/models has reusable "engine type" filter as OE. Some of these are Dry Only and need to remove before wet use. Even if Filters are Wet rated... If you suck "water" then Do Not store them until the filter is Clean and Dry. Part of Why I trash the sears clone was the plugged canister filter. Likely was dirty to start then got wet and dirt became "concrete" and wreck the high $ filter. This unit didn't give a cheap filter option like Shop-Vac units does.

Shop-Vac w/ low suck problem likely has plug basic paper. Clean or replace it.
S-V w/ reusable filters often out performs same unit w/ OE paper over foam filter set. More so if you suck up drywall dust and related.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2020 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked one up at a yard sale without a filter for 5 bucks last spring. Just used electrical tape and a shop rag to make a temporary filter which I've never gotten around to replacing. Its been working just fine rigged up like that for months.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2020 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shop-Vac’s Facebook page, whose last post was in March, states it also has manufacturing facilities in Binghamton, N.Y., and Shenzhen, China, and distributes products from Williamsport Burlington; Ontario, Canada, Guadalajara; Mexico; Melbourne, Australia; and Shenzhen.

They already have a factory in China, and one in New York. Those were not mentioned as being affected. Was thinking I should get a Shop-Vac. Maybe I'll shop elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by Zeb (edited 09-28-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2020 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updates
Shop-Vac is closing worldwide... Oct 08, 2020
https://www.prnewswire.com/...tions-301148989.html

Hilco Global will be assisting the company with selling all assets, including intellectual property, real estate, inventory, and machinery & equipment. In addition, Hilco Global will be consulting the company on winding down its manufacturing production and collecting outstanding accounts receivable.

Nov 9, 2020
https://www.inquirer.com/bu...miller-20201109.html

But not all was well at Shop Vac. Last year the company hastily shut down a warehouse in New York state, leading to lost orders, Fisher said. Its manufacturer in China went on strike. Bills went unpaid. Promised pay increases were delayed. There were layoffs before Christmas, and more this year after the coronavirus hit.
Shop Vac’s chief executive, Jonathan Miller, 72, whose father had founded the company in 1953, had already left Williamsport without a word and moved to California, employees said. His daughter, Felice Miller, 41, who was named president and chief operating officer a year ago, also left town. She maintained a residence in California’s Bay Area.

Even the China factory had trouble...

He said Shop Vac ran into cash-flow problems with big-box retailers, which account for most sales of the smaller Shop Vac model, many of which are manufactured in China. Its Chinese supplier went on strike after learning that Shop Vac was planning to shift manufacturing to a Vietnamese site, Fink said.
IOW China Labor cost more money then new Sweatshops in another Communist county many are moving to. CCP likely have problems w/ Vietnam too because of same.

You like other "Shop Vac" Brands? Shop-vac made/makes many of others...

The Williamsport plant also manufactured wet-dry vacuums for other companies, including Craftsman.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-18-2020).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2020 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sux (no pun intended). Shop-Vac is has been such a household name for so long, they've gotten genericafied (I'm sure that's a word). Like Xerox and Kleenex. People refer to any heavy duty vacuum as a Shop Vac just like any facial tissue is a Kleenex or any copier is a Xerox, no matter what brand someones actually talking about. Sad but it is what it is.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or Bic(US) and Biro(UK) for cheap pens.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

That sux (no pun intended). Shop-Vac is has been such a household name for so long, they've gotten genericafied (I'm sure that's a word). Like Xerox and Kleenex. People refer to any heavy duty vacuum as a Shop Vac just like any facial tissue is a Kleenex or any copier is a Xerox, no matter what brand someones actually talking about. Sad but it is what it is.

Thirsty...
Want a coke?
Sure.
What kind?

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Thirsty...
Want a coke?
Sure.
What kind?

Yes except that's a bit regional. Down here in the south, everything is a Coke. When I was in Indiana, everything was a "pop". Farther north and on the east coast, it's a 'soda". Confused me when I moved down here a few years ago. Someone asked if I wanted a "Coke". I didn't so I declined then I asked for a pop. They looked at me a bit funny.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Someone asked if I wanted a "Coke". I didn't so I declined then I asked for a pop. They looked at me a bit funny.

As a southerner by birth, I got a chuckle out of that.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-19-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2022 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has Reopen but now Chinese Owns them.
"Shop-Vac rebounds in Pa. under Chinese ownership after near-death experience"
https://www.inquirer.com/bu...-china-20210919.html

Search the web in news for more.

My guess is, besides shipping cost, Only real reason still have a US factory is China is still locking down for Failed Zero Covid and killing their own economy on top of sanctions etc...

Now you can get most Filters etc again at https://www.shopvacstore.com
Most other stores have not gotten shopvac units or parts and many won't any time soon because already filled old shelf space w/ other product. Like Walmart w/ Hart Brand.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-07-2022).]

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2022 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not going to pass judgement....yet. As the article outlines they bought shop vac from the dead and have the factory running again and the brand not extinct. As the article also states the recently bought SK tools and moved the operations from Chicago to Williamsport; however that move has not gone well. It is still be be seen if they will manufacture in Williamsport or if they will just distribute foreign made tools from there. Either way the SK brand will still be alive for it's 101st year.

On the flip side the old owners of SK was Ideal industries which owned other tool manufacturers ( not marketers) such as Wester Forge and Pratt Reed. Unlike SK which was sold to GreatStar, WK and PR were simply closed and had their facilities auctioned off.

Having new foreign ownership may be good as their could provide an influx of cash to upgrade manufacturing processes and equipment which stagnated and wore out equipment on thin margins where the old owners could not afford to invest.

This is all on the flip side to Aerican owned businesses such as Bain Capital management who but a brand/company pillage it to assets, close it and then off shore manufacturing.

I am just withholding judgement yet to see how this unfolds.

I foresee global companies, due to COVID/global conflicts or events, regionalizing manufacturing footprints into three regions....N/S America, Europe/Arfrica, and Asis/Pacific rim. This will shorten supply chains, and build in redundancy for if there is a disruption in another region.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2022 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If companies were intelligent, the past 2 years would have taught them they need to ON-shore manufacturing. But there will always be a bean counter telling his bosses "We can save $0.02/unit moving manufacturing to China" and all the brain-dead executives see is that bottom line.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2022 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
If companies were intelligent, the past 2 years would have taught them they need to ON-shore manufacturing. But there will always be a bean counter telling his bosses "We can save $0.02/unit moving manufacturing to China" and all the brain-dead executives see is that bottom line.
Oh They learn to move out of China and some Many Years ago... They Move to other "3rd World" places including Vietnam.
Even Foxconn the real makers of Apple Dell and others look(ed) at them and more robots before the virus panic.
Some Other Chinese companies looked at same before CCP and Xi started to arrest owners for "corruption" etc.

Go and look at labels on clothes and shoes in last 10+ years and see many are make anywhere else that's cheaper then China and allows sweatshops.

And isn't just CEO and Boards... When public companies don't use cheapest labor and worse expect a Shareholder Lawsuit costing Many Millions of $.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2022 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They're called eponyms. To be honest with you, I was today years old when I found out that wasn't actually what the machines are called. I didn't know this was a commercial name. What is their technical name then?

I liked my blue one. I want to think it was Kobqlt (Lowe's brand). I bought the largest they had and while whoever mentioned it about storage and being a hassle, you're never going to convince me overkill isn't still a kill. I tend to do this with all my purchases. Either bottom of the barrel one and done or I invest in the good stuff.

Got lucky i didn't "invest in the good stuff" with the Bosch 36v cordless line. What happened with that anyway? I didn't buy them because the radio didn't charge the batteries (turns out no brand did at the time, no idea about now) and my buddy pointed out to me if it binds a good chance that much power will snap my wrist or injur am arm if I didn't bother to set the clutch. I ended up going Rigid to replace all my old NiCad stuff. I went with it because I had just outfitted my work with them and I knew all the accessories would swap out even though a different generation. That 1/2" impact is probably the most awesome tool I rarely get to use.

This thread OLD.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock