First AR Pistol Build by rbell2915
Started on: 09-21-2020 07:07 PM
Replies: 63 (958 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 11-11-2020 07:27 PM
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Radian AX556 lower I picked up off Armslist for $400. Seller threw in a windowed Gen 3 Pmag and a stock as well, it's pretty ugly so I'm probably going to sell it. The safety isn't installed.

Going to be a slow build while I piece it together. I'm going to be building a pistol with an 11.5in barrel. I would like to pick up a LAW folder as well but that's going to be a luxury. Might do it in the future.

------------------
USMC V13 2015-2019
USMCR 2019-Present
North Carolina REALTOR®

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks pretty fancy. I'm guessing it's billet?
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

That looks pretty fancy. I'm guessing it's billet?

Yes it is! It's also completely ambidextrous as well which is nice since I'm left handed.
Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see what it's like when its finished. I bet that will be fun too shoot.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

Can't wait to see what it's like when its finished. I bet that will be fun too shoot.

Thanks a lot. I'm planning on putting an 11.5in BCM upper on it and an SBA3 brace with a splitflix. I'm hopefully trading 1000 rounds of 7.62 for an EoTech 518 this weekend so that will go on my Stribog A3 and my EXPS3-0 will go on this build. Hopefully it'll be done by Christmas since everything is out of stock right now. And I don't feel like spending a ton of money all at once so my build is going to be at a leisurely pace.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEET!
Yeah ka-ching. You got some high end parts.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

SWEET!
Yeah ka-ching. You got some high end parts.

Buy once, cry one. I'd rather have one nice AR than five that aren't so nice and sit in the safe all their lives. I think after this build I'll be good for a long time.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915: I think after this build I'll be good for a long time.

That's what they all say.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

That's what they all say.

Oh I know that's what they all say but I'm trying to save for a house and I think my wife will kill me if I build another haha
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2020 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel ya on this being your "last build". I've Frankensteined a few SIG pistols and I think I'm done. I have bills to pay and can't justify another $800 in a pistol build.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2020 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I feel ya on this being your "last build". I've Frankensteined a few SIG pistols and I think I'm done. I have bills to pay and can't justify another $800 in a pistol build.

Haha I agree, it's best to have a few quality weapons over an armory you never use.

I just ordered a LaRue 2Stage Trigger and a black SBA3 brace. I also have a black multicam splitfix coming in for the brace.
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2020 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bought two LAW Tactical Folders, each one was $270. I'll be flipping one on GunBroker to recoup my costs.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2020 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My SBA3 showed up yesterday and my trigger came today so I got that installed. I also ordered a Magpul MIAD type 1 grip from Bass Pro. Getting it sent to my local Cabela's to save on shipping. I also bought a DD MK18 upper off AR15.com that should be arriving this week. Here are pics.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2020 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you like quad rails? I always found them too fat.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2020 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you like quad rails? I always found them too fat.

I love quad rails, they look so bad***. My Ruger AR556 has an MLOK rail and it's very heavy for some reason.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2020 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

I love quad rails, they look so bad***. My Ruger AR556 has an MLOK rail and it's very heavy for some reason.

Same barrel profile?
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2020 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Same barrel profile?

Not sure what you mean by profile. My Ruger has a 16" barrel and my friends Colt (16" as well but with a quad rail) was much much lighter.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2020 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The barrel profile is the general shape of the barrel. See link below.

https://www.classicfirearms...-profiles-explained/
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my upper in. Colt upper receiver, DD barrel and rail, surefire 4 prong flash hider, and KAC flip up sights. I should be getting my grip in tomorrow.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure what you mean by profile. My Ruger has a 16" barrel and my friends Colt (16" as well but with a quad rail) was much much lighter.

(THanks Blacktree) Yep.
Referring to the shape which correlates to its thickness and weight. Barrel being the biggest factor in upper weight. Which matters as thinner ones heat up faster, among other things.

More on barrels https://www.wingtactical.co...rel-for-your-needs-/

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-30-2020).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Got my upper in. Colt upper receiver, DD barrel and rail, surefire 4 prong flash hider, and KAC flip up sights. I should be getting my grip in tomorrow.

Havent seen KAC sights before what do they look like up? Are they Aluminum? Which grip are you getting?
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Havent seen KAC sights before what do they look like up? Are they Aluminum? Which grip are you getting?

They are made from steel. And I'm pretty sure the barrels are government profile. I'm too lazy to take it apart and confirm. Here's a link for the rear sight.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They are made from steel. And I'm pretty sure the barrels are government profile. I'm too lazy to take it apart and confirm. Here's a link for the rear sight.

Steel, even better! Nice pics.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bought a Toolcraft Nickel Boron BCG from PSA. Someone from the NC Gun Owners forum was kind enough to gift me an endplate I needed. Should have everything I need for my build to be complete next week. I'll buy an optic and light at another time down the road.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-30-2020 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Luck bastages !!!

Hell, I live in a country where Black Rifle Coffee Company is on a prohibited weapons list !!!!!!

Controlled substance, I can see but the stuff isnt nearly strong enough to be considered a weapon....well...not a prohibited one, maybe restricted...well, oh, nevermind, where is my illegal black brew ?? !!!!!!!
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Luck bastages !!!

Hell, I live in a country where Black Rifle Coffee Company is on a prohibited weapons list !!!!!!

Controlled substance, I can see but the stuff isnt nearly strong enough to be considered a weapon....well...not a prohibited one, maybe restricted...well, oh, nevermind, where is my illegal black brew ?? !!!!!!!

Quite sad, really.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LAW Tactical Folder came in today and I installed the MIAD grip. I am waiting on the buffer retaining pin and spring to come in in order for the buffer tube to be installed.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2020 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unbelievably someone bought the LAW folder for $510. I decided I'm going with a Modlite PLHv2 18350 with a Modbutton for my light. Apparently they're coming out with a new product soon so I'm going to wait until it comes out before I proceed.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2020 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A slow build by buying bargain priced quality parts as they become available is a smart move. Another approach is to buy multiples at a bargain price and resell until you break even and keep the free part. Most people think like consumers and buy at retail. Some people think as wholesale buyers.

Haha I agree, it's best to have a few quality weapons over an armory you never use.

Gotta disagree with that one. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2020 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

A slow build by buying bargain priced quality parts as they become available is a smart move. Another approach is to buy multiples at a bargain price and resell until you break even and keep the free part. Most people think like consumers and buy at retail. Some people think as wholesale buyers.

That's exactly why I bought two LAW folders so I could resell one and help recoup the costs. Worked out extremely well. Going to do it again.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2020 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing wrong with a one or two deal like that. Parts are what I'm going to do it with for something I want to keep. Car parts, cars, shoes, gun parts, PA stuff, etc..Paid high retail for a lots and lots and lots of things that ended up being worth quite a bit more than purchase price too. So, my conscience is clear.

I go to a lot of shows and there's those pin-hookers out front scarfing up the stuff they know how to make a buck on. They'd always take it to the truck (not for sale) somewhere. Wondered why and was told they can't resell it within 24 hours or they're in peril of the agency saying they're operating as an FFL without a license. So they sell it at the next show or later. For the trouble why not just get a license and buy like crazy for profit?

Pretty sure agents tried to entice me into selling one I'd just bought. I took one to sell at a show and a guy I don't like nor trust (and who I ignored the entire show) carried one of my favorites all around the show with no buyers. Hours later as he left he approached and offered it to me. The price was good and I bought it. Slung it around my shoulder while talking to an acquaintance. Two guys were watching the whole time and one walked over in a minute and asked about my price. He said no, the one you have on your shoulder is the one I'm interested in. He wanted the one I just bought, not the nearly identical one in my hand for sale. Yeah, he didn't want it for the several hours it was carried around, but now he did? The guy I bought it from that I didn't like nor trust had once told me he had an unregistered machinegun for cheap when I bought a semi-auto from him. Decided that day I didn't trust him anymore. Not the last really weird occurrence at shows witnessed.
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2020 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed a BCM QD sling mount. Also ordered a Modlite PLHv2 18350 weapon light and a Surefire UE tailcap. Definitively the best light on the market right now. Just waiting for the Modlite Modbutton to come in stock and hopefully I can snag one of those.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would this affect your build? Or anyone else beside owners of that particular pistol?

https://www.guns.com/news/2...er-on-q-honey-badger

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Would this affect your build? Or anyone else beside owners of that particular pistol?

I think this will have a far reaching fall out and not just that brand.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Not sure exactly. But f**k the ATF is all I'm going to say.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ATF is finally getting some push-back for these shenanigans. Even members of Congress are getting involved. This could get interesting.

Personally, I won't live in fear of the ATF's next flip-flop. But that's me.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard the term, "AR pistol" before but never really looked into it. Looking into this thread does not put an accurate picture to what I had in mind for a "pistol". It appears to be, just a short rifle?
Am I wrong?
Even a sawed off shot gun, no matter how shot is still a shotgun.
What is the difference between the AR pistol and a rifle?
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I have heard the term, "AR pistol" before but never really looked into it. Looking into this thread does not put an accurate picture to what I had in mind for a "pistol". It appears to be, just a short rifle?
Am I wrong?
Even a sawed off shot gun, no matter how shot is still a shotgun.
What is the difference between the AR pistol and a rifle?

Must have a pistol brace and OAL of <26" and no vertical grip and I believe the length of pull must be <13.5". It's still a pistol but if I put a stock on it would be an unregistered SBR.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The whole arm brace thing is a crock. Every youtuber puts it up to there shoulder to shoot it.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

The whole arm brace thing is a crock. Every youtuber puts it up to there shoulder to shoot it.

I would argue that the whole SBR concept is a crock. It’s a gun. Now go away ATF with your stupid NFA.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock