Started on: 09-09-2020 03:00 PM
Replies: 25 (391 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 10-06-2020 08:26 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2020 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2020 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the creative minds in Hollywood ever have an original idea for a movie again?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2020 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are creative minds in Hollywood?

Who knew - I thought they had all died or retired....
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2020 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Who knew - I thought they had all died or retired....

They were cultured canceled.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2020 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Yes, they create paranoia, hate and discontent; all at the bidding of their plutocratic overlords.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2020 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you hear about the new BatMan movie?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2020 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First , about the new “Dune”.
It’s as big a sanitized realization of Herbert’s dream as David Lynch’s version was.

If you want to see what Herbert intended, I think the documentary of Jordensky(sic) is as close as we never got.

And now a word about “Hollywood” when it comes to new ideas.

One:
It’s really all about the studios, and profit.
They push what sells.
Kids want superheroes.

New ideas are risky to the bottom line.

Two:
Writers write books.
If they sell well, they become movies.
Even if they don’t, they’re optioned for a possible later date.

In every studio there are shelves of optioned (bought the movie rights) stories/books/screenplays waiting for the go ahead from the studio, and the right directors vision to tell the story. And the right “climate”, socially.

It’s not “Hollywood” that doesn’t have “new ideas”.
Or the writers.
Or the directors.
It’s the financial backers unwilling to take a risk with the returns on their investment on an “unproven” chance.

They make (remake) known money-makers.
They offer-up what has the greatest chance of making the most money.

Just like every other product that is for sale.
The market decides what it wants.

Me?
I think we need more studios and directors willing to take chances with the new stories they already got on the shelf.

Every once in a while something great comes along like “Edge Of Tomorrow”...

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

It’s as big a sanitized realization of Herbert’s dream as David Lynch’s version was.

If you want to see what Herbert intended, I think the documentary of Jordensky(sic) is as close as we never got.

Damn, get the man's name right. It's Jodorowsky !

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Damn, get the man's name right. It's [b][/b] !

I know.
I always mess it up.
Alejandro Jodorowsky.
I just can't get it.

My brain see's it as a dyslexia simulator...and runs!
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And now a word about “Hollywood” when it comes to new ideas.

One:
It’s really all about the studios, and profit.
They push what sells.
Kids want superheroes.

New ideas are risky to the bottom line.

Two:
Writers write books.
If they sell well, they become movies.
Even if they don’t, they’re optioned for a possible later date.

In every studio there are shelves of optioned (bought the movie rights) stories/books/screenplays waiting for the go ahead from the studio, and the right directors vision to tell the story. And the right “climate”, socially.

It’s not “Hollywood” that doesn’t have “new ideas”.
Or the writers.
Or the directors.
It’s the financial backers unwilling to take a risk with the returns on their investment on an “unproven” chance.

They make (remake) known money-makers.
They offer-up what has the greatest chance of making the most money.

Just like every other product that is for sale.
The market decides what it wants.

Me?
I think we need more studios and directors willing to take chances with the new stories they already got on the shelf.

Every once in a while something great comes along like “Edge Of Tomorrow”...

This is a studio taking a massive chance.

This isn’t the full first book, and the second movie to finish it isn’t green lit yet. It’s by a director, Dennis Villeneuve, who has thrown out consistently stellar material, but whose recent Blade Runner 2048 flopped financially.

The live adaptations of Dune has failed, every one. And they still threw hundreds of millions at this. This book certainly has its following, but casual fans might think this copies Star Wars, not the other way around.

Dennis has said this book is what sparked his creativity and got him into filmmaking. He’s been wanting to make this since he was a child.

Nothing we’ve seen gives any indication that it’s dialed down, besides the stillsuits not completely covering their faces. I’m a massive fan of the source material, and I’m completely stoked for this. I don’t think we have any reason to think this is going to be some sanitized version.

Edit: I’m going to add: Jodorowsky’s adaptation may have been a good movie, but it would have not been remotely what Herbert intended. By his own admission, he wanted to “rape” Herbert and the book. It would’ve been a visual spectacle.

[This message has been edited by theBDub (edited 09-18-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The BDub has returned!!!

(The 3rd 'old member' I've noticied to suddenly make a rare appearance at PFF this month)
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

The BDub has returned!!!

(The 3rd 'old member' I've noticied to suddenly make a rare appearance at PFF this month)

Was curious about PFF’s take on some recent politics. Wasn’t surprised by what I found, but couldn’t help taking a gander

Don, I hope you and your wife are doing well!

[This message has been edited by theBDub (edited 09-18-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are doing well, considering what we are doing...
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll give it a shot. The original movie is a classic (to me) .. It's a movie me and my dad have always liked watching together..

Then i liked the little mini series they did years ago that was a sequel of sorts about Paul's children. "Children of Dune" i think it was called. That was pretty cool.

So I'll give the new one a go. See how it is.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2020 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please don’t get me wrong.
I will watch this with great relish.

I just get the same sinking feeling in my gut that feels a lot like “John Carter” all over again.

What they did to Edgar Rice Burroughs vision is a shame.

Directors need to realize they are not writers.
They should leave that to the guy that actually wrote the source-material that director now wants to second-guess. The writer obviously knew what he was doing.

I mean, his vision made it to the shelves...

The directors job should be to turn words into pictures.
Nothing more.

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Please don’t get me wrong.
I will watch this with great relish.

I just get the same sinking feeling in my gut that feels a lot like “John Carter” all over again.

What they did to Edgar Rice Burroughs vision is a shame.

Directors need to realize they are not writers.
They should leave that to the guy that actually wrote the source-material that director now wants to second-guess. The writer obviously knew what he was doing.

I mean, his vision made it to the shelves...

The directors job should be to turn words into pictures.
Nothing more.

You didn't like John Carter? I thought it was pretty well done. I didn't read the book though, so i can't compare, but its one of my dad's favorite books, and also one of his favorite movies, so i figured it must have been a decent adaptation.

Plus i mean, cmon.. Dejah Thoris was soooooo yummy in that movie lol.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

You didn't like John Carter? I thought it was pretty well done. I didn't read the book though, so i can't compare, but its one of my dad's favorite books, and also one of his favorite movies, so i figured it must have been a decent adaptation.

Agreed. I enjoyed John Carter and watch it if I can find it. Admittedly, that doesn't happen often. I also agree that Lynn Collins was Hot in that movie. Haven't seen her in anything else that I can recall though. All I can say to the naysayers is, to each their own.

Edited: After looking at her Wiki Profile, I see she has been in several other movies and TV shows, (that I don't watch). I guess an actor must seek work where they can find it, not much different that the rest of us.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 09-22-2020).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Agreed. I enjoyed John Carter and watch it if I can find it. Admittedly, that doesn't happen often. I also agree that Lynn Collins was Hot in that movie. Haven't seen her in anything else that I can recall though. All I can say to the naysayers is, to each their own.

Edited: After looking at her Wiki Profile, I see she has been in several other movies and TV shows, (that I don't watch). I guess an actor must seek work where they can find it, not much different that the rest of us.

Rams

Yeah the only other movie i can think of that i saw her in was that Wolverine Origins movie.. She played Silver Fox, a Hydra Agent posing as Wolverines girlfriend. But they changed the Silver Fox character a bit for the movie. Combining her with another character from Wolverine comics called Karma. In the comics Silver Fox was a mutant like wolverine, as she could heal very quickly like him, and also aged very very slow. But in the movie, she didnt seem to have her healing powers (since she died from a stab wound from Deadpool) But she had the power of suggestion, were she could touch someone, and basically make them do anything she wanted just by suggesting it to them. Which was Karma's power in the comics.

That movie could have been much better though, it wasn't terrible by any means, but they really ruined the Deadpool character in that movie. But Ryan Reynolds later redeemed himself with the two Deadpool movies which were great. Loved that scene during the ending credits of Deadpool, where Deadpool goes back in time and murders the other movies version of himself, lmao.. That was funny.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 09-22-2020).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2020 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frank Herbert's Dune books, were a revolution in Sci-Fi story telling. They were one of the first "Epic" stories, and Herbert created a whole Ecoshpere within the Dune franchise.

I read the first novel in 1974, and it was the first novel I ever read, that had an encyclopedia-glossary in the back, that explained all of the characters and technology of the storyline.

The 1984 David Lynch film version, is often criticised for being too vague in its storyline. It isn't easy to adapt a novel as large as Dune was, into a two hour movie, and get all of the encompassing story and innuendo subtext included. People who had read the novels, recognised all of the intricate subplots, and first time viewers were left a little confused.

I for one, am looking forward to seeing this version when it comes out.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

No, I did like it.
There are very few movies I don't like, INCLUDING "Ishtar"!

My point in this thread is the "watered-down" aspect of all these newer movies.
Shortening the story while over-extending the exploration of inter-personal relationships.
If the constraints of a 2-hour window is limiting the way a Director tells a story, i hardly think using such a large chunk of that time exploring feelings is a good use of that limited time.

Remember everything we didn't know about Hans Solo?
Or John McClain in Die Hard?
We didn't know how they felt, and we didn't need to know.
Those kind of barely "roughed-out" characters are more interesting to me.

Continually conflicted characters eat-up way to much film-time resolving those personal conflicts.
Intermixed with talking about it endlessly.

I don't care how they feel about how someone else is feeling about them having feelings about something.
Of course i'm over-exaggerating the point, but the Star Wars variants really pissed me off.

It all feels like a little-to-much like "Twilight" & "Harry Potter"...

Movie Dejah Thoris - Pretty-good casting.
But they over-built her with intelligence.
Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote her unimaginably beautiful, stubborn, and strong.
But not equal to a man when it comes to thinking.
That was the times he was living in, and how women were expected to act.*

But that don't fly with today's tender sensibilities.
So it kills the whole "hero saves damsel-in-distress" feel of the story.
And THAT kills what Edgar wrote.

All because women can no longer be "saved" by a man...

* Actually, the Dejah Thoris he wrote (strength, bravery, etc.) was pretty shocking for his time!
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Damn, get the man's name right. It's Jodorowsky !

What was this that I just watched? Was he looking to potentially be the one who directed DUNE? ... but ended up not doing it?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
What was this that I just watched? Was he looking to potentially be the one who directed DUNE? ... but ended up not doing it?

Yup.
Awesome documentary!
It's my dream to get my hands on one of those art books he sent to all the major studios...

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup.
Awesome documentary!
It's my dream to get my hands on one of those art books he sent to all the major studios...

I like the DeLaurentis version... but why did they decide not to go with this guy?

For the record... I don't know if I could have handled a McJagger actor... it would have been too much. Sting was weird, but I think it worked. McJagger... no no no no no...

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the DeLaurentis version... but why did they decide not to go with this guy?

It was an incredibly hard sell at the time.

For the record... I don't know if I could have handled a McJagger actor... it would have been too much. Sting was weird, but I think it worked. McJagger... no no no no no...

Here's your taste-test!:

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's your taste-test!:

Holy **** ... I missed that movie... seriously. I've heard a lot about it back in the day, but never actually saw it. McJagger actually didn't seem too lame in that movie... maybe he could have been pretty decent. It's just hard... you like that which you know. I prefer the Guns n Roses versions of the ripped songs because I knew them first... so McJagger would be weird in place of Sting... but probably wouldn't have been as bad as I thought.

Lol.. 2009... I'm going to have to watch FREEJACK.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock