Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  E=mc² ~ Large Hadron Collider Creates Matter From Light! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
E=mc² ~ Large Hadron Collider Creates Matter From Light! by Boondawg
Started on: 09-07-2020 11:11 PM
Replies: 70 (906 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-11-2020 12:55 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I was rude to no one and did not insult anyone. I did not "fire a volley".

We can agree to disagree. You got the reaction you were after. This thread can now degenerate into the usual O/T nonsensical "discussion".
IP: Logged
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

We can agree to disagree. You got the reaction you were after. This thread can now degenerate into the usual O/T nonsensical "discussion".

Would you please point out my rude or insulting text? I have asked for someone to do this numerous times and have yet to receive a response.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

It's incredibly simple.

Wow Dude...
Don't hold back or nuthin'.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My words are always my own.

Yes. I was only joking. 100 percent joking. "Phasebook." The largest online media platform for Phase Transitions. I'm inordinately pleased with myself for having thought of that. Covid restrictions, partly to blame.

There's been a lot of discussion since the last time that I looked in here, and I have not absorbed any of it yet.

I want to go back to that earlier remark from "cliffw" where he said that there was "no evidence" for the Big Bang theory or hypothesis.

I don't want to create a research project for myself of trying to summarize the evidence in the way that it's been described in countless news reports and video documentaries for general readers and viewers.

As I said before, it''s a Catholic priest that figures prominently in the origination of the Big Bang hypothesis.

Georges Lemaître [1894-1966], RAS [Royal Astronomical Society) Associate was a Belgian [and a] Catholic priest, mathematician, astronomer, and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Louvain.
~ Google.

Cosmic Microwave Background. Red-shifted spectral absorption lines in the telescopic observations of distant galaxies. The Doppler effect. Evidence for a universe that is expanding in every observable direction.

There are now many variations of the Big Bang hypothesis, but the original hypothesis is not something that is all that recent.

To say that there is "no evidence" for the original Big Bang hypothesis (and its more recent variations or derivatives) would be to say that the preceding 100 years of research and peer-reviewed publications from thousands of physicists and astronomers (including the Vatican Observatory) amount to nothing more than the discarded foil wrapper from a stick of Wrigley's chewing gum.

Science and Reason cry out "These are the peer-reviewed fruits of our observations and research. They must be respected."

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-10-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Yes. I was only joking. 100 percent joking.

I thought so, but I wanted to dispel any misconception by others that I might plagiarize or quote without attribution.

I kid around a lot, but when I am serious, my posts are carefully considered.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-10-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would you please point out my rude or insulting text? I have asked for someone to do this numerous times and have yet to receive a response.

I've already bolded it for you Here, but you refuse to see it.

Many on the left have faith that there is no god. They believe that they know enough about science to explain everything that happens around them, precluding the necessity of a higher power, even though what they know changes with every new theory. They call themselves agnostic, proclaiming that what they do not know cannot be known (yet).

This belief is akin to the Dunning-Kruger effect. It allows them to imagine that they are the center of the universe. This is their faith and their belief, and those who do not ascribe to their religion of science are to be scorned, ridiculed as unenlightened.

If you wish to be critical of non-believers, fine, but cut the "many on the left" crap. Why are you sparing right wing agnostics? Makes no sense. So what if there might (or might not) be fewer of them, they still exist! And you don't think it's insulting to state that agnostics "imagine that they are the center of the universe"? Some might believe that, but why tar everyone (clarification - leftists) with the same brush? Oh I already know the answer... to make it sound like all leftist agnostics are totally self-centered. It's so obvious what you're implying. Please quit pretending that nothing negative was meant by what you posted.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An agnostic does not believe in any power higher than himself, therefore he sees himself as the pinnacle of creation, at the apex of the universe. That is the nature of an agnostic. If an agnostic is insulted by that fact, then he must believe that there is a higher power and is therefore not an agnostic, but has accepted the existence of God.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Georges Lemaître (1894-1966.) Judging by the expression on his face, this could be the moment after he famously stared down another astronomer during a "Big Bang vs Steady State" discussion and said "Science and Reason cry out 'These are the peer-reviewed fruits of our observations and research. They must be respected.'"

OK, I just made that up. What I said he said.

He's waiting for "cliffw" to show here again.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-10-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...he sees himself as the pinnacle of creation, at the apex of the universe. That is the nature of an agnostic.

Nonsense. A living creature (namely us in this case) can be a infinitely small part of the universe without being "the pinnacle of creation, at the apex". I'm sorry, but your comment is completely bogus.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-10-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nonsense. A living creature (namely us in this case) can be a infinitely small part of the universe without being "the pinnacle of creation, at the apex". I'm sorry, but your comment is completely bogus.

So, to an agnostic or atheist, what power is higher than man?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, to an agnostic or atheist, what power is higher than man?

This is the problem with some people, they're totally absorbed by this notion of "power". .. either by trying to comprehend it, and/or by trying to acquire it. In many cases, their motives can be questioned.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the problem with some people, they're totally absorbed by this notion of "power". .. either by trying to comprehend it, and/or by trying to acquire it. In many cases, their motives can be questioned.

So, are you saying that a non-believer acknowledges no power higher than himself?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like kids in a sandbox, so are the days of our lives...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, are you saying that a non-believer acknowledges no power higher than himself?

Maybe you feel you speak for believers, but I don't speak for non-believers.

This is fun and all, and I'm sure this could continue until the next coming of Christ, but I've got stuff to do. I'm in the middle of swapping a windshield and sunroof from one Fiero to another, and no higher power is going to do it for me.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My point was that if an agnostic does not believe in a higher power, then my observation that an agnostic acknowledges no power higher than himself is not an insult.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not talking about Potatos a la Maitre D`. I'm talking about Astronomy. Astronomy a la (Georges) Lemaître D`.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My point was that if an agnostic does not believe in a higher power, then my observation that an agnostic acknowledges no power higher than himself is not an insult.

If you can't acknowledge the huge difference between that and what you stated earlier, then you are purposely being obtuse.

Many on the left have faith that there is no god.

It allows them to imagine that they are the center of the universe.

...he sees himself as the pinnacle of creation, at the apex of the universe. That is the nature of an agnostic.

Now that I've re-read these last two comments of yours several times, it reminds me of how much the last guy to get permanently banned from the forum felt like that about himself. Seriously. Yet, he got a free pass from many here for a long time no matter how much of an ass he was... simply because he wasn't a "leftist". Funny how that works.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you can't acknowledge the huge difference between that and what you stated earlier, then you are purposely being obtuse.

I see no difference in believing that there is no power higher than one's self and seeing one's self as the highest power. To suggest that I am "purposely being obtuse" is rude.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To suggest that I am "purposely being obtuse" is rude.

Well, it's obvious you have some sort of blind spot regarding this matter. Sorry, but further discussion on this topic is pointless.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, it's obvious you have some sort of blind spot regarding this matter. Sorry, but further discussion on this topic is pointless.

Thank you.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now that I've re-read these last two comments of yours several times, it reminds me of how much the last guy to get permanently banned from the forum felt like that about himself. Seriously. Yet, he got a free pass from many here for a long time no matter how much of an ass he was... simply because he wasn't a "leftist". Funny how that works.

Willie is NOTHING like Tony and you know it. YOU patrick are VERY much like Tony. You love to argue and absolutely have to have the last word without contributing to the thread topic. You aren't as intelligent as you think, with a mad desire to inflict some type of revenge for Boons double probation you drive people into arguments. You are just an "arshole" who consistently trashes threads and insult people. Williegoat has said absolutely nothing insulting and you, but YOU in a vain attempt to get somebody on probation; are doing nothing but degrading OT. THANKS Patrick for driving PFF OT deeper into the ground you say you want to preserve.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 09-10-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Willie is NOTHING like Tony and you know it.

Are you really that dense, or are you purposely making up sh!t to cause trouble?

I never at any time compared Willie to Kania. Not even close. I've actually enjoyed discussing music in other threads with Willie. Kania was a useless prick and nothing but a detriment to the forum. But he got away with it for years, simply because he had this thing for "leftists".
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you really that dense, or are you purposely making up sh!t to cause trouble?

I never at any time compared Willie to Kania. Not even close. I've actually enjoyed discussing music in other threads with Willie. Kania was a useless prick and nothing but a detriment to the forum. But he got away with it for years, simply because he had this thing for "leftists".

I expect nothing less of you than to act like Tony, and argue and insult.
Your own words said you are reminded of Tony by reviewing Williegoat's replies.
But hey, it ain't your fault. Just keep arguing the last words.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your own words said you are reminded of Tony by reviewing Williegoat's replies.

You're just acting this stupid, right? It's certainly convincing.

Quit having a hissy-fit and re-read This post. Willie was describing his view of agnostics. I stated that it reminded me of how Kania perceived himself. It had NOTHING to do with how I feel about Willie.

You need a different hobby, as obviously you can't read.

Many on the left have faith that there is no god.

It allows them to imagine that they are the center of the universe.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-10-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2020 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By editing out so many of my words, those quotes can be misconstrued.

In the interest of clarity and accuracy, here are the links to what I really said:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/125464.html#p17
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/125464-2.html#p46
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get , it's all about you and it never was your fault. You posted the lions share of replies in this thread and contributed nothing but arguments and insults. Good job,
And yes you did say Willie reminds you of Tony, and I still disagree.
Patrick, you complained that the thread turned political, but you have no problem keeping it political and off topic. It was a simple explanation on page one and could easily have been left alone after an exchange or two
Why are you so abrasive?
Why do you feel such a strong need to argue?
Why can't you just get along and live, and let live?
For somebody who celebrates the separation of Tony from the forum, you sure did not hesitate to pick up his torch and run with it.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 09-11-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And yes you did say Willie reminds you of Tony...

Willie's description of agnostics reminded me of how Kania perceived himself. This really isn't all that complicated... for most people.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Willie's description of agnostics reminded me of how Kania perceived himself. This really isn't all that complicated... for most people.

I made an Edit to my post. Feel free to "comment" argue some more.

I get your point, it isn't that complicated. It took Willie to summoned the ghost of Tony. Got it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't need me for this. Carry on...

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave