Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  'Alligators not good choice for prospective pet owners.' NatGeo. Who'da thunk?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'Alligators not good choice for prospective pet owners.' NatGeo. Who'da thunk? by rinselberg
Started on: 07-31-2020 08:55 PM
Replies: 17 (252 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 08-02-2020 11:33 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I so did not see this one coming. I feel blindsided. Why hasn't the President--or better yet, Dr Facui--been warning us about this?

I think the interesting part here is just how much reading is packed into this one article. I'm not going to put it through Read-o-Meter, but I think I'm looking at several minutes from end to end, for an attentive reading of it.

This is the tagline:

You're basically dealing with a dinosaur.

A rise in the abandoned reptiles [alligators] around the United States—including two recently found in a Kansas creek—has raised concern among experts.

Tina Deines for National Geographic; July 31, 2020.
https://www.nationalgeograp...0/07/pet-alligators/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

You're basically dealing with a dinosaur.

Reptilian brain.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 07-31-2020).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are top of the food chain but tend to self destruct here at my place, tho that wasn't always the case.
(picture to follow later tonight)
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

They are top of the food chain but tend to self destruct here at my place, tho that wasn't always the case.

They are supper cool as hatchlings. As they get about a foot long, the luster is gone.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 08-01-2020).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What makes alligator hatchlings so attractive, from a human perspective?

Do they seem playful? I guess--not having had any experience myself--that hatchling and very young alligators in captivity like to move around and respond positively to the human presence (like being touched or fed by a human hand?) When I think of a fully grown alligator, I think of an animal that is motionless, in a sleep-like state, or lying in ambush.

I just want to make sure that I am not clueless ("out in left field") about this.

Left field at Boston's Fenway Park, where I don't want to be, in terms of my Alligator IQ.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Evidently, I gave the pictures of my father feeding a rather large gator some chicken dangled on the end of a long pole from the pond bank. He had done it for years, almost daily from the time the animal first showed up as a 3-4' long juvenile.The gator finally got too adventuresome, began coming farther up the bank and my father decided enough was enough.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69651 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by rinselberg:

What makes alligator hatchlings so attractive, from a human perspective?

Do they seem playful? I guess--not having had any experience myself--that hatchling and very young alligators in captivity like to move around and respond positively to the human presence (like being touched or fed by a human hand?) When I think of a fully grown alligator, I think of an animal that is motionless, in a sleep-like state, or lying in ambush.

I just want to make sure that I am not clueless ("out in left field") about this.

Left field at Boston's Fenway Park, where I don't want to be, in terms of my Alligator IQ.

They are, from a very young age, incredibly inquisitive and all but fearless. You have to give them a reason not to come right up to you.

From about 6-7 years ago, one I had decide to take over my dock.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2020 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I once knew a guy who collected the ash fall-out of Mt. Readout in 5-gallon buckets as it rained down in Alaska so that he would have enough to snort for years to come.
He believed this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that would make him live forever.

I tried to tell him that it wasn't some volcanic "glass-o-the-Gods".
He said that was only because I believed in Quaaludes.

He died 6 years later of heart failure.
And i'm here to tell you about it.

Suck it, volcano.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-01-2020).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's Mt Redoubt. Although if that "dude" was getting his stash from Mt Readout--well, maybe that was his mistake.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 08-01-2020).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Exploding Gators? Sounds terrifying! :P

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm waiting for the movie...

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a report, back in college, that farming alligators for meat and leather trade was one of the most cost effective animals you can raise. In many terms, such as square feet, energy input, product yield and etc.

The only issue they had was actually demand. If they could market the meat more than just novelty and moved towards mainstream acceptance, you could have a much better sustainable meat/leather source that would be much better than cattle or hogs.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

My wife is a Gator... so by default, she refuses to eat alligator. She also doesn't like Burt Reynolds (as you can figure), and really likes Tom Petty.

Incidentally, she can't stand Miami Vice or Don Johnson (who played a failed UF quarterback).

EDIT: But OMG... gator-bites are amazing... seriously. They're like spicy chicken nuggets.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 08-01-2020).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
EDIT: But OMG... gator-bites are amazing... seriously. They're like spicy chicken nuggets.

Before you leave Texas ... try some rattlesnake, . Meh, just kidding. Too many bones like some fish, and tastes lick chicken.

Gator bites amazing ? Why yes, they are. I have seen nature documentaries. Where a Croc, Alligator would be close to the shore and feed from another animal getting a drink.
Who would guess that they could do this ... :

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2020 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Before you leave Texas ... try some rattlesnake, . Meh, just kidding. Too many bones like some fish, and tastes lick chicken.

Gator bites amazing ? Why yes, they are. I have seen nature documentaries. Where a Croc, Alligator would be close to the shore and feed from another animal getting a drink.
Who would guess that they could do this ... :

Damn, that is a crazy jump.

But seriously... I will totally try rattlesnake. Is there a place that actually serves that? I've been lucky enough to not find one in my yard.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-02-2020 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kicks roadhouse at 53 and 20 in Hamilton. Bit of a drive to get there. If it's even still there.

The snake is kinda bleh. Alligator tastes like swamp water... But I highly recommend the bison steak.

Also a middle of nowhere place just north of Tallahassee. Damned if I remember the name, but it's got like 4 tables, sweet tea to die for and a mixed plate of snake and chicken . Walk out for under 15 bucks.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 08-02-2020).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2020 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Kicks roadhouse at 53 and 20 in Hamilton. Bit of a drive to get there. If it's even still there.

The snake is kinda bleh. Alligator tastes like swamp water... But I highly recommend the bison steak.

Also a middle of nowhere place just north of Tallahassee. Damned if I remember the name, but it's got like 4 tables, sweet tea to die for and a mixed plate of snake and chicken . Walk out for under 15 bucks.

MEM... if you can remember the name of that place in Tallahassee, I will be indebted to you. I always make the pilgrimage back to the great state of Florida (best state in the union) at least once a year, and I always pass through Tallahassee. It would be awesome... thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock