Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Fourteen Years After Official Go-Ahead, Scientists Began To Assemble "The Machine"...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fourteen Years After Official Go-Ahead, Scientists Began To Assemble "The Machine"... by Boondawg
Started on: 07-28-2020 09:34 PM
Replies: 5 (168 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 07-30-2020 08:52 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2020 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fourteen years after receiving the official go-ahead, scientists began to assemble a machine in southern France on Tuesday that will seek to prove whether nuclear fusion, the process which powers the Sun, can be a safe and viable energy source for Earth.

The groundbreaking multinational experiment, ITER, has seen components arrive in the tiny commune of Saint-Paul-les-Durance from all corners of the world in recent months.

The components must now be painstakingly put together to finish what is dubbed by ITER in promotional material as the "world's largest puzzle".

The experimental plant's goal is to demonstrate that fusion power can be generated sustainably, and safely, on a commercial scale.

"Fusion provides clean, reliable energy without carbon emissions," said a statement from the 35 ITER partners: China, the 27 members of the European Union, Britain, Switzerland, India, Japan, South Korea, Russia and the United States.

"Fusion is safe, with minute amounts of fuel and no physical possibility of a run-away accident with meltdown," it added.

Furthermore, the fuel for fusion is found in seawater and lithium, abundant enough to supply humanity for millions of years.

"A pineapple-sized amount of this fuel is the equivalent of 10,000 tonnes of coal," the statement said.

The ITER machine will be constructed from about a million components, and initial experiments are set to begin in December 2025.

The facility is meant to produce about 500 megawatts of thermal power, translating into about 200 megawatts of electric energy if operated continuously, or enough to power some 200,000 homes.

https://www.france24.com/en...-that-powers-the-sun

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-28-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
News break..Oct 14, 2027.

The world was shocked when all of France suddenly went supernova yesterday morning...

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 07-28-2020).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question? –
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2020 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

From all i've seen, and all i've done, I have to admit I am the biggest mystery I have ever encountered on my 60-year journey through this "time" on planet Earth.
And believe me, I'm not impressed.

I believe we bags-of-mostly-water can do better.
Listen, i'm a HUGE fan of evolution...just not the amount of time it takes!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-28-2020).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only as yet to be determined question is how many euros per kilowatt-hour they are going to pay each government, business and residential customer to use the inconveniently overabundant electricity.

It's going to be called "negative energy price subsidies."
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-30-2020 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

6x7

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock