Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Nathaniel Victor

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
Nathaniel Victor by Boondawg
Started on: 07-27-2020 09:53 PM
Replies: 5 (136 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 07-31-2020 04:28 AM
Boondawg
Member
Posts: 37801
From: Displaced Alaskan
Registered: Jun 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 336
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WARNING!: Adult Language!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane
Member
Posts: 65724
From: Cleveland Texas
Registered: Apr 2001


Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fun and games in the A Shau valley..Razor, Vandegrift, Currahee, Pike, Spear, Rakkasan, Cunningham, Dallas, Tun Tavern, Hatchet, Ax, Blaze.
The word 'hill' is a misnomer when it comes to RVN. We in the US, generally think of a hill as a slight to moderate rise culminating in a single rounded top.
Rarely the case over there. A series of 'mini hills and valleys' that made up the main hill.

IP: Logged
Boondawg
Member
Posts: 37801
From: Displaced Alaskan
Registered: Jun 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 336
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by maryjane:

Fun and games in the A Shau valley..Razor, Vandegrift, Currahee, Pike, Spear, Rakkasan, Cunningham, Dallas, Tun Tavern, Hatchet, Ax, Blaze.
The word 'hill' is a misnomer when it comes to RVN. We in the US, generally think of a hill as a slight to moderate rise culminating in a single rounded top.
Rarely the case over there. A series of 'mini hills and valleys' that made up the main hill.


I was reminded of this when I thought about trying to figure-out where the toughest battlefield terrain was.

Was it the trenches of WWI?
The Chosin winter in Korea?
The beaches of Normandy?
The jungles of Vietnam?
The deserts of Iraq?

That vague rabbit hole got way-deep way-quick...

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-30-2020).]

IP: Logged
maryjane
Member
Posts: 65724
From: Cleveland Texas
Registered: Apr 2001


Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without doubt, imo, it would be ww1.
The trenches of WW1 were considered relative safe havens. It was the No Man's land they had to cross that were the real killing fields.
Thousands would die in a matter of just a few hours facing horrendous artillery and machine gun fire.
Then, they were also fighting cholera and influenza.

https://www.historyhit.com/...ttles-world-war-one/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach...es%20of%20territory.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 07-31-2020).]

IP: Logged
Patrick
Member
Posts: 30150
From: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Registered: Apr 99


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by maryjane:

Without doubt, imo, it would be ww1.
The trenches of WW1 were considered relative safe havens. It was the No Man's land they had to cross that were the real killing fields.
Thousands would die in a matter of just a few hours facing horrendous artillery and machine gun fire.
Then, they were also fighting cholera and influenza.


Lest we forget... the chlorine, phosgene and mustard gas used on the troops.
IP: Logged
maryjane
Member
Posts: 65724
From: Cleveland Texas
Registered: Apr 2001


Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Patrick:

Lest we forget... the chlorine, phosgene and mustard gas used on the troops.

I believe the % of military deaths in WW1 from gas was 1/1000 of the total deaths.
Of course, the total military death figure in that war was so high, that the gas deaths alone= about 90,000.

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock