Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  NFL Football : The Washington Red Faced Is The Redskins New Name. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NFL Football : The Washington Red Faced Is The Redskins New Name. by cliffw
Started on: 07-04-2020 09:18 AM
Replies: 56 (1111 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 12-25-2020 02:25 AM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daniel Snyder years ago tweeted the Redskins will never change their name. He tweeted "it will NEVER CHANGE. All caps ! "

Now Fed Ex who bought the rights to the stadium, 250 million I think, is threatening to pull the money. Nike also has dropped gear with the name. Now, Snyder is bowing to the almighty dollar. As it seems FED EX and Nike are. Under threat of boycott from the "woke" crowd.

Geeze Daniel, you are a pussy ! If FED EX paid 250 million, someone will pay 240 million to have their name on your stadium. You do whoever a favor and they pay you for it, .

Nike made big bucks from your team name. Let them sell eggs. I won't use FED EX cause they have their name on your stadium, nor because they can field a winning NFL team. They can't.

Geeze Daniel, . How did you become rich, ? Cut out the middle man. Your fans buy your zhit. Take the profit and run.

If the PFF gallery ain't pissed off yet ...

NFL Plans To Have “Black National Anthem” Performed Before ‘Star-Spangled Banner’ At Week 1 Games

'We are ONE America': Ted Cruz blasts NFL's reported plans to play 'Black national anthem'

[Ted Cruz]
“How many national anthems do we have??” Mr. Cruz asked on Twitter. “Is there [a] Hispanic national anthem? An Asian-American national anthem? This is asinine. We are ONE America. E Pluribus Unum.”

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That will be a start. Chiefs and Indians are next.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I grew up in the Md - DC area. Have been a long term Redskins fan. I hope they do not change the name.

Over the years there have been efforts to change the name . Being from that area, we never considered the name to be racist.

http://haruth.com/HAILSKINS.wav

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!
Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

https://www.cbssports.com/n...s-controversies-and/
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2020 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I agree.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2020 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by cliffw:

If the PFF gallery ain't pissed off yet ...

They would first have to believe you're not as dumb as a box of rocks.
They don't.

A tip: You would be heard better if you'd remove your head from your azz...
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.foxnews.com/spo...possible-name-change
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

I grew up in the Md - DC area. Have been a long term Redskins fan. I hope they do not change the name.

Over the years there have been efforts to change the name . Being from that area, we never considered the name to be racist.

http://haruth.com/HAILSKINS.wav

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!
Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

https://www.cbssports.com/n...s-controversies-and/

I think this an important point because it demonstrates the disconnect in communication between both sides of the issue.

It is not that native american groups never considered it to be racist, it is that if they spoke out about in the past they were shot down so it was pointless. It is not that "all of a sudden" they are racist/offensive to groups of people, it is that they have always been offensive but now large sections of the majority (white) are sympathetic to them so they can actually do something about it.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2020 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

It is not that "all of a sudden" they are racist/offensive to groups of people, it is that they have always been offensive but now large sections of the majority (white) are sympathetic to them so they can actually do something about it.

Yup.

It's beyond me just how much some people can't see progress.
It's not like it's something new.
Our Wives & kids used to be property.

They no longer are.
Time did that, not some evil plot.

All men are created equal...what's so hard to understand?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-04-2020).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is not that native american groups never considered it to be racist, it is that if they spoke out about in the past they were shot down so it was pointless. It is not that "all of a sudden" they are racist/offensive to groups of people, it is that they have always been offensive but now large sections of the majority (white) are sympathetic to them so they can actually do something about it.

I am not sure who is smarter ? You or Boondawg.

Poll of Native Americans’ view of Redskins name finds “proud” most common answer

A new survey has found that Native Americans are more likely to be proud than offended by the name of the Washington Redskins.

These results echo those of a 2016 poll that found that only 9 percent of Native Americans described themselves as offended by the Redskins name, while 90 percent said it did not bother them.

Of course y'all will believe what you think, even though NBC says otherwise.

What should I do when they play the Black National Anthem ? Put my hand over my heart ? "Black fist" my hand and hold it over my head ? Maybe I should kneel.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35920 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Chiefs and Indians are next.

Yeah, . Soon they will be extinct.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think this an important point because it demonstrates the disconnect in communication between both sides of the issue.

Personally, I think it's obvious the name "Redskins" is not the best connotation of a nod of the hat to Native Americans. But teams like the Chiefs, Indians, etc... and even the Washington Redskins, have majority support (and in some cases overwhelming support) of Native American tribes.

Where I have a problem with it is with progressive liberals with white guilt telling the rest of the world how things should be. They act without thought and base entirely every decision on their emotions. If Native American tribes like the homage that Florida State University / Seminoles, Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, and Kansas City Chiefs give, then who are these white liberals to tell everyone we need to change it?

"A new survey has found that Native Americans are more likely to be proud than offended by the name of the Washington Redskins."
https://profootballtalk.nbc...-most-common-answer/

-

In taking the action, the NCAA deemed FSU's use of the Seminole name and symbols as "hostile or abusive."
https://www.fsu.edu/news/2005/08/05/tk.response/

"On June 17, the Tribal Council of the Seminole Tribe of Florida spoke unequivocally of its support for Florida State University in its use of the Seminole name and related symbols. Accordingly, I intend to pursue all legal avenues to ensure that this unacceptable decision is overturned, and that this university will forever be associated with the "unconquered" spirit of the Seminole Tribe of Florida. "

-

"New poll finds 9 in 10 Native Americans aren’t offended by Redskins name"
https://www.washingtonpost....753295f9a_story.html
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What should I do when they play the Black National Anthem ? Put my hand over my heart ? "Black fist" my hand and hold it over my head ? Maybe I should kneel.

I would guess that the nfl would have some type of policy to protect the anthem from unprofessionalism or disrespect. So those that do not support it would stay in the locker room till it is done and then the real National Anthem will play as the players exchange positions in the locker room. Segregation starting all over again.
Imagine the disrespect the public will give a segregation anthem.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Statues, team names, flags, the issues are debatable. They might have merit. However, now is not the time to make these changes.
What we have done is shown that if a pack of spoiled brats throw a temper tantrum, we will give them anything they want, just to get them to shut up.

"If I give you a few blocks of downtown, will you please stop whining?"

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19455 posts
Member since Mar 2009
The Black National Anthem?

When I was young, that was called segregation. People who wanted such things were called bigots.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

My daughter did that when she was really little... and then got pissed and blamed "the stupid builder."

Hahah...
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2020 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The progression of racism works kinda like this.
"We want to be treated as equal"
"We want more representation of our color"
"We want advertisers to represent us"
"We want more of our color owning teams"
"We want more of our color is administrative positions"
"We want more of our color as coaches"
"We want more of our color in staffing positions"
"We want more of our color as team members"
"We DEMAND less of (insert race of your choice) in the sport"
Racism is racism regardless of the racists color or the victims race.
We ABSOLUTELY are equal and to be a racist is despicable, we should be treated as equals and to discriminate based on color is neanderthal.
Emotional expressions and outbursts of hate and rage should not be accepted as normal because one day that acceptable and normal expression will target YOU, then what?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You all are still watching sports? I stopped watching sports 30 years ago, don't miss it.
(beach volley ball doesn't count)
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flashback to June 2014, when two associate professors of marketing at the Goizueta Business School at Emory University opined in the New York Times that the "Redskins" name was detrimental to what they described as the "brand equity" of the Washington DC National Football League franchise:

<SNIIP>

Unlike college athletics, professional sports don’t have a recent tradition of dropping Indian team names. But the effect of maintaining such a name can still be measured. We created a statistical model of team brand equity (roughly, the economic value of a brand) in the National Football League. The idea was to determine whether revenues exceeded or lagged behind what would otherwise be expected based on team performance and market factors like the size and median income of the local fan base.

We found that the Redskins have indeed experienced decreasing brand equity over the past decade. Interestingly, the two N.F.L. teams with the most negative brand equity trends from 2002 to 2012 were the Redskins and the Kansas City Chiefs (another American Indian team name).

The other teams with the most negative trends were the Oakland Raiders, St. Louis Rams and Cleveland Browns, all of which had average winning percentages over this period that were well below 40 percent. Though the Redskins and Chiefs also had below-average winning percentages, they lost even more brand equity than did those teams that experienced such pronounced on-field failure over the past decade.

We acknowledge that there could be other factors that explain the Redskins’ decreasing brand equity. But elementary principles of brand management suggest dropping the team name, regardless. While it’s true that recent survey data suggest that more than 70 percent of Washingtonians think the team should not change its name, consider the inverse of that statistic: A remarkable 30 percent of the local populace finds the team name offensive. Even among the faction of Washingtonians that favors retention of the team name, more than half report that they find the term inappropriate.

<SNIP>

Our research, the marketing logic and the survey data all point to the same conclusion: Retaining the Redskins name borders on managerial malpractice. We suggest that Mr. Snyder reach out to American Indian community leaders to propose a new team name and set of symbols that honor Indians. This would provide a continuity that would enable the team to retain much of its former brand equity while creating a new name capable of attracting previously offended consumers.

That's about half of the entire text.

"'Redskins' Is Bad Business"
Michael Lewis and Manish Tripathi; Opinion section of the New York Times; June 24, 2014.
https://www.nytimes.com/201...is-bad-business.html

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 07-04-2020).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

You all are still watching sports? I stopped watching sports 30 years ago, don't miss it.

Or any female sport with the name "nude" before it.
Except for Sumo...

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I literally have an NFL pension... so yes, I still watched sports. Definitely not watching NFL anymore, but I told my former and current colleagues with the NFL that I'm just not sure how the NFL bounces back from this. Ratings have never really recovered since the whole Kaepernick nonsense. The left has been aggressively trying to take down the NFL for a long time... CTE, Toxic Masculinity, claims of racism, and now anti-American... the progressive left has unfortunately won. They've destroyed the NFL.

The biggest problem for the NFL is that they are bending head-over-heels for Progressive Millennials. I know a lot of people have opinions on this, and that's fine... but here are the facts. Progressive Millennials are not the NFL's fan base. They could not possible be further from it. Progressive Millennials really don't watch football, or most sports for that matter. So from the standpoint of marketing and dollars and cents... they're appeasing one group that they will likely never gain, and literally destroying the very base that does actually support them.

We must understand that by and large... Hispanics in America don't particularly care for American football. No matter how many generations they've been here. Black Americans are very into American football, but they only make up 12-13% of the US population. Lower and middle-class white (non-Hispanic) Americans make up the vast majority of their viewership... and well... they're losing this group pretty fast.

During the whole kneeling for the National Anthem thing... ratings tanked. Roger Goodell has been the worst commissioner for the NFL in football history. He has bungled nearly every controversy and every political situation. He refuses to take a stand on anything, then makes decisions late, says wrong things, and then when he does make a decision, he screws it up. In this case, the decision to play the Black National Anthem is crazy... I don't even know what that is, but I know it's not the American national anthem. It's going to be extremely insulting, and I certainly have no plan to watch NFL anymore. If I could cash out my pension today, I would do so immediately and move it into something. I may even see if I can do that so I can get it out before the NFL collapses before I retire.

I'm just not seeing a positive end to this.

Nike has seen a 790 million dollar loss which they blame entirely on COVID-19, but it's a decline that's been occurring every since they signed Kaepernic and said, "Old white men are not our target demographic." Apparently it was...
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Washington Karens. LOL!

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 07-04-2020).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Oh man, those little red-skinned potatoes are the best. A little bit of butter, a dab of sour cream... damn.

We had a restaurant in South Florida called "Potatotopia." It was a chain restaurant that originated in New Jersey. They have two in Jersey, one in New York, and one right across the border into Toronto. But for whatever reason, it just didn't make it in South Florida. I'd take the family there every couple of weeks on a Friday... it was fairly inexpensive, and sooo good. We went back to visit (since I don't live in Florida anymore) and the place was gone.

http://potatopia.com/
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Inuit (Eskimo) in Labrador are mostly Blackhawks fans because they can relate to another Native American tribe. So Blackhawks stuff is all over Nain, Labrador.
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Indianapolis, Indiana is holding it's breath and trying to not get noticed.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "re-name game" sounds fun, so who gets to decide the "new names". I always liked the name "Sprockets". But differential and crankshaft are cool too.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 07-06-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All the Atlanta locals are waiting for the "Braves" to be in the gunsights.

The popular opinion around here is for it to revert back to the old Atlanta minor league name. "Crackers".
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

A tip of the hat to you sir !

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35920 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
The "re-name game" sounds fun, so who gets to decide the "new names". I always liked the name "Sprockets". But differential and crankshaft are cool too.

The "Sprockets" never stood a chance against the "Cogs", .

From a Jetson's episode - - - Spacely Space Sprockets / Cogswell's Cogs

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Florida, Cracker means something completely different...to my demographic anyway.
(I sometimes think I live on a completely different planet than most of you here at PFF)

https://www.fdacs.gov/Agric...racker-Horse-Program
https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...orida_Cracker_cattle

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/cracker-cowboys/

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Or any female sport with the name "nude" before it.
Except for Sumo...

Nude sports, who would expect such a thing

Click to show

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 07-08-2020).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

In Florida, Cracker means something completely different...to my demographic anyway.
(I sometimes think I live on a completely different planet than most of you here at PFF)

You're not alone.

One of our favorite places close to home: https://www.floridacrackerkitchen.com/

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 07-08-2020).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Who's going to tell him about the Minnesota Vikings?
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wonderful response to Chicago Tribune recommendation to change Washington Redskins name.

Sports fans and most everybody else will get a kick out of this letter written to the Chicago Tribune. No matter which side you are on in the matter of renaming the Washington Redskins, this is funny.

This is an email supposedly sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins
~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "The Beavers" (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers?)

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC.
Forgot the Chicago Blackhawks !
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Wonderful response to Chicago Tribune recommendation to change Washington Redskins name.

Sports fans and most everybody else will get a kick out of this letter written to the Chicago Tribune. No matter which side you are on in the matter of renaming the Washington Redskins, this is funny.

This is an email supposedly sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins
~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "The Beavers" (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers?)

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC.
Forgot the Chicago Blackhawks !

Bravo Sir !

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's official. The NFL's Washington Redskins are retiring the Redskins name. Not changing it. Not discarding it. RETIRING it. (Very nuanced.)

I don't know what they are going to be named, going forward. It's not supposed to be revealed yet, as some trademark issues are still being worked. Although it could certainly be "leaked" or ferreted out by the media before the official announcement.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 07-13-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock