Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Texas Raiders and Little Raider paid me a visit today...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Texas Raiders and Little Raider paid me a visit today... by maryjane
Started on: 06-29-2020 12:24 AM
Replies: 12 (296 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 06-29-2020 06:12 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, not the football team.
The story.

A few days ago, 2 warbirds flew over my property going East. Not real low, but not at what I would call normal cruising alt either. I could tell one was a B-17, the other was a little farther away but I could tell it had a twin vertical stabilizers and I didn't think much else about it till yesterday morning when a neighbor of mine about 1/2 mile away called and told me a story. Matt's father is living with him, a WW2 Army Air Corps vet and they heard the planes fly over but the father was in a wheelchair and couldn't get out to see them. Their place is covered in trees anyway and they wouldn't have seen much. Anyway, the son got in touch with the (former) Confederate Air Force and found the planes were home based as part of the Gulf Coast Wing at Conroe and Tomball Jet , about 40 miles from here and were going to Opelusas La for their summer fly in and would be returning home today. The smaller aircraft is called little raider and is a Navy Twin Beech C-45. He explained about his father and the guy he talked to told him,that if he could describe the area, they would make a pass over it. Matt knew I had wide open spaces, so he asked me to provide the information so I sent them:

this

and this

Told them to watch for the US and Texas flags.

The guy on the other end said it would be a little after 6pm today, so I told a few of my friends.

Matt evidently told a 'few' of his friends as well and by 5:45, I had to move horses out of one of the pastures so everyone could get off my gravel road and park and sit in the pasture. 19 vehicles when I stopped counting.

The aircraft were a little late, but about 7:05, we heard them coming from the East, beyond the trees. You can't mistake those radial engines.

As soon as i saw them, I thought, oh crap, they're too far North but once they cleared the trees and saw the outline of my property the B17 turned to port and came right over the pasture, passing just North of my house.........then, did something that once again restored my faith in humanity.
Just as they reached the treeline of the national forest, Texas Raider rolled over on the port wing a little and made a tight circle right around the pasture, wagged those big wings and flew off toward Conroe with Little Raider behind.. We were all whooping and hollering too. It was a great day to be here in Texas and to be AMERICAN!

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-29-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh..I forgot. "pics, or it didn't happen"..
Not very good, as it has been hazy lately and getting close to twilight. I did get some video, but not much.
As it approached, it started streaming smoke from the inboard starboard engine, which it does at all the big air shows.

The pictures I got of Little Raider were just too fuzzy to post.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-29-2020).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Magnificent.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oops.
Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-29-2020).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31841 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by blackrams:

That’s special and heart warming! Thanks for sharing that story.
Rams

cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
... it has been hazy lately ...

Our little neck of the woods has been affected by the Sahara Desert, creating a dust cloud migrating with the winds.

Uplifting post maryjane.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks MJ.
I love WWII warbirds!
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

we heard them coming from the East, beyond the trees. You can't mistake those radial engines.

https://b17texasraiders.org/index.php/aircraft
gtjoe

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjoeSend a Private Message to gtjoeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in case you are interested here is a link to the caf page for the planes refered to in the op
https://b17texasraiders.org/index.php/aircraft
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Our little neck of the woods has been affected by the Sahara Desert, creating a dust cloud migrating with the winds.

Same here. Been very hazy and the humidity is just stifling.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69648 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Pics from the air show they were returning from:
https://www.theadvocate.com...-a7f4954f8e2d.html#1

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was cool.
Thank you for sharing.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's awesome!!!

Is that essentially one of the planes that I would have seen in the movie Band of Brothers?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock