Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  SpaceX to launch 1st astronaut mission for NASA (Wednesday 27 Oct)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
SpaceX to launch 1st astronaut mission for NASA (Wednesday 27 Oct) by Notorio
Started on: 05-26-2020 04:48 PM
Replies: 16 (295 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 05-30-2020 05:54 PM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is one of the Live Streams for the launch tomorrow. Good old Pad 39A will host the first Astronaut launch on a US-based platform in 10 years, and first ever via Public/Private Partnership. It is scheduled for 4:33PM Eastern Daylight Time: Link

Can't wait to see this ...

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 05-26-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes! I'm very excited!!!

You guys all know I'm a huge fan-boy of Elon Musks... he is a true example of the American dream (practicing it... I mean, not that he's dreamy, haha).

He was an immigrant from South Africa, came to the US, and created PayPal with his buddies. He became a billionaire... and then invested 100+ million in his own money in Space-X, and now look at where we are (plus Tesla).

Anyway, if anyone is interested, Discovery Channel also has a whole documentary on leading up to this point, the history of Space-X, their failures, their successes, etc. It's a 2 hour show... definitely, definitely worth watching. I think they're playing it again just before the launch.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

You guys all know I'm a huge fan-boy of Elon Musk

If you have the chance, watch both Joe Rogan interviews with Elon on Youtube. They are very long but worth the time.
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes! I'm very excited!!!

Did 'ya ever wonder why astronauts are launched in the sitting down position, on their backs ?

Prayers for safety and success.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Did 'ya ever wonder why astronauts are launched in the sitting down position, on their backs ?

no
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

If you have the chance, watch both Joe Rogan interviews with Elon on Youtube. They are very long but worth the time.

This one is pretty good. He talks about it being an attack vector, but I liked his other explanation. Possessions "own you."

Prayers for safety and success.

Haha... it's because the human body is designed to more appropriately handle G-forces facing directly forward... directly into the chest, so to speak. And agree... really hoping things are successful today.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haha... it's because the human body is designed to more appropriately handle G-forces facing directly forward... directly into the chest, so to speak.

My first thought was about G forces. Which made me wonder why they are not in the standing position. Your in zero gravity in what ? Two minutes ? If I fell from a ladder, I would want to land on my feet, not my chest.

Is not gravity in and of itself a G force ? We stand, walk, run, and jump.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My first thought was about G forces. Which made me wonder why they are not in the standing position. Your in zero gravity in what ? Two minutes ? If I fell from a ladder, I would want to land on my feet, not my chest.

Is not gravity in and of itself a G force ? We stand, walk, run, and jump.

Yes, it is a constant of course. But all of this was determined (first) by using cadavers and seeing the type of damage that would occur to certain G-forces, in any number of different positions. They determined very quickly that the torso handles G-forces directly head-on.

This guy (John Stapp) took it to the extreme:

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
T minus 39 min
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Launch scrubbed. Rescheduled to Saturday at 3:22PM EDT. Bummer.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

As a time filler and opportunity for reflection on the risks of space travel, here is an interesting discussion of the Apollo 1, Challenger, and Columbia disasters:

Death on Orbit: Extreme Environmental Conditions and the Deaths of American Astronauts

and another article on just the two shuttles:

Challenger, Columbia, and the lies we tell ourselves
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
T -20 minutes
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19460 posts
Member since Mar 2009
First stage has landed, second stage is separated and they are on their way.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unrelated. Space Force is a pretty effing funny show. Silly. Lots of jobs at our president, but they aren't done out of tactless taste.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impressive

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock