Started on: 05-17-2020 03:21 AM
Replies: 9 (230 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 05-19-2020 12:07 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dr. Zhong Nanshan is becoming known by nickname-crazed Western media (like CNN) as "China's Dr. Fauci."

I don't know if anyone in China has been referring to Dr. Anthony Fauci as "America's Dr. Nanshan."

After a visit to Wuhan in January, Dr. Nanshan was concerned that the local authorities in Wuhan were not communicating a realistic level of concern about the virus to the Chinese nation at large, and to the Chinese national government. Dr. Nanshan reported to the Chinese national government on January 20 with his conclusion that Human-To-Human transmission of the virus was both real and "real serious," and he was given air time on China's CCTV state-owned TV network to warn the entire country. The lockdown of Wuhan began just three days later, on January 23, and was not lifted until 76 days had passed.

Dr. Nanshan was just interviewed by CNN reporters David Culver and Nectar Gan.

Before you, the option of reading about the interview, or having four and a half minutes of CNN video content (at the top of the article) focusing on Dr. Nanshan. Or both. Or neither. (I like to cover all the bases.)

"CNN Exclusive: Lack of immunity means China is vulnerable to another wave of coronavirus, [China's] top adviser warns"

(CNN) China still faces the "big challenge" of a potential second wave of Covid-19 infections, the country's top respiratory authority has warned, with the lack of immunity among the community a serious concern as the race to develop a vaccine continues.

Dr. Zhong Nanshan, the Chinese government's senior medical adviser and the public face of the country's fight against Covid-19, also confirmed in an exclusive interview with CNN on Saturday that local authorities in Wuhan, the city where the novel coronavirus was first reported in December, had suppressed key details about the magnitude of the initial outbreak. . . .

David Culver and Nectar Gan for CNN; May 17, 2020.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05...-intl-hnk/index.html

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-17-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
China I guess is doing something right. Canada has surpassed China in the number of Covid-19 cases and they have less population than California.

Basically China has stopped counting long time ago.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really.

China too, is introducing renewed restrictions after two cities reported new cases of the virus. Shulan, in Jilin province in the country's far northeast, has been put under lockdown, following 11 newly confirmed cases. Jilin borders both Russia and North Korea, and concerns have previously been raised over imported cases from overseas causing a renewed outbreak.

More alarming are the new cluster of infections in Wuhan, the central Chinese city where cases of the novel coronavirus were first detected late last year. Wuhan was the first city in the world to enter into lockdown, only returning to relative normality late last month after 76-days.
On Monday, city officials said five new cases had been confirmed in the city, none of which were imported from overseas. While that is a far cry from the figures at the beginning of the crisis, or those being reported daily across much of western Europe and the United States right now, the apparent ability of the virus to continue spreading undetected -- especially in a city as intensely surveilled and restricted as Wuhan -- will lead to concerns about the viability of reopening.
Mi Feng, spokesman for China's National Health Commission, on Sunday urged people to "stay alert and step up personal protection against the virus." He added that the new clusters were a reminder to avoid social gatherings and seek medical advice or testing should anyone exhibit virus symptoms.

The new infections in China and South Korea also risk prompting a nihilistic response. If countries that appear to be on top of the disease cannot contain it, what can a nation with thousands of daily cases hope to do? But this is arguably the wrong takeaway -- these countries had the worst outbreaks in the world in February, but managed to get them under control. That they are seeing new cases is a lesson about the risks of relaxing too soon, not a reason to give up the fight entirely.
Nor is the message out of Asia all grim. Vietnam and Thailand are discussing the potential creation of a travel corridor, so confident are they that their domestic outbreaks are contained. New Zealand and Australia have already agreed to do the same -- though not for several months.
And Hong Kong, which successfully reined in a second wave of the virus when it seemed like the city might go the way of Singapore, has gone 21 days with no local infections, raising the possibility of being declared virus free later this month.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-17-2020).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Not really.

The New York Times reported differently than your source. They said that China quarantined 8,000 vunerable people in the far NE. Said nothing of cities being locked down.

They probably have the right strategy now. Quarantine the weak, old and immune compromised people. Let the healthy keep the economy going.

Or we can say that news is unreliable from China, much like USA Covid-19 death counts.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:
After a visit to Wuhan in January, Dr. Nanshan was concerned that the local authorities in Wuhan were not communicating a realistic level of concern about the virus to the Chinese nation at large, and to the Chinese national government.

Why wasn't he disasppered like the Doctors who did speak up ?
Which local authorities of Wuhan faced the firing squad ?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

The New York Times reported differently than your source. They said that China quarantined 8,000 vunerable people in the far NE. Said nothing of cities being locked down.

They probably have the right strategy now. Quarantine the weak, old and immune compromised people. Let the healthy keep the economy going.

Or we can say that news is unreliable from China, much like USA Covid-19 death counts.

News is totally unreliable here. Everyone is told exactly what the gov wants you to hear. Good news is shown, bad news is suppressed. It's just how the place operates.

Everyone still gets their body temp checked when entering places of business. When I fly I have my temp checked when I show at work, when I go through security, and when I go to the hotel.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

News is totally unreliable here. Everyone is told exactly what the gov wants you to hear. Good news is shown, bad news is suppressed. It's just how the place operates.

Everyone still gets their body temp checked when entering places of business. When I fly I have my temp checked when I show at work, when I go through security, and when I go to the hotel.

Here in State side, the airport passenger levels have dropped 95%. Daily flights reduced to once a week, many hotels are closed, the ones open are on shoestring crews and barely any occupancy.

We still have many places closed, from restaurants, bars, gyms, salons and etc. Many have closed since March and some states don't plan on opening up till July or later.

Practically every State let kids off for the entire school year since March, and some schools are even not planning to have any students come back till 2021.

When I work, I have temperature checks pretty much everywhere I enter. Places that are open, like hardware stores, grocery stores and etc. are not allowing children under 16 to enter, have to wear masks, have limited occupancy where they make you wait outside in line till you can go in.

Unemployment is extremely high and there are many people now who don't even know they they are unemployed.

You should see how many airports have grounded aircraft on their tarmacs. Must be 80% or more of the airline fleet is parked. There will be a lot of pilots being layed off for a long time. The only reason it hasn't happened yet, because the US government floated the airlines bailout money to keep them afloat.

But since we have many governors that won't lift the stay at home orders, their future is bleak.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Here in State side, the airport passenger levels have dropped 95%. Daily flights reduced to once a week, many hotels are closed, the ones open are on shoestring crews and barely any occupancy.

We still have many places closed, from restaurants, bars, gyms, salons and etc. Many have closed since March and some states don't plan on opening up till July or later.

Practically every State let kids off for the entire school year since March, and some schools are even not planning to have any students come back till 2021.

When I work, I have temperature checks pretty much everywhere I enter. Places that are open, like hardware stores, grocery stores and etc. are not allowing children under 16 to enter, have to wear masks, have limited occupancy where they make you wait outside in line till you can go in.

Unemployment is extremely high and there are many people now who don't even know they they are unemployed.

You should see how many airports have grounded aircraft on their tarmacs. Must be 80% or more of the airline fleet is parked. There will be a lot of pilots being layed off for a long time. The only reason it hasn't happened yet, because the US government floated the airlines bailout money to keep them afloat.

But since we have many governors that won't lift the stay at home orders, their future is bleak.

And just think about this, when the "lock down" started in California, the National death toll was in single or double digits. Now 70k+ people have died during the lockdown.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 05-18-2020).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Transmission electron microscope imagery of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that's become "the talk of the town."
March 3, 2020.

Source: National Institutes of Health online
https://www.nih.gov/news-ev...-vaccines-treatments

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-19-2020).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pulling back from argument or debate.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-19-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock