Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Food shortages, Pandemic, jobless and a Depression in the works...............

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Food shortages, Pandemic, jobless and a Depression in the works............... by blackrams
Started on: 05-10-2020 11:55 PM
Replies: 22 (482 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 05-19-2020 01:59 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not suggesting this is all in our future but, what if it was...

Can you survive? How? Can you provide for your family? Or, others? Can you protect what's yours? Could you help your neighbors?

What's your limit? Just questions that have passed through my mind. I like to be prepared... 30, 60. 90 days? A year?

------------------
Rams

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....
Open your frigg'n minds, think about all the other tools that can be made into WMDs.

My wife told me to grow up. I told her to get out of my fort!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Can you survive? How? Can you provide for your family? Or, others? Can you protect what's yours? Could you help your neighbors?

What's your limit? Just questions that have passed through my mind. I like to be prepared... 30, 60. 90 days? A year?

I thought of this many years before the 2020 PANICdemic.

Property and shelter within 100 yards of a lake, check. Fishing gear, check. Small oar style boat, check. Plenty of deer and other game, check. Hunting / self defense guns and ammo, check. Beer ...............................

Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am mildly prepared.

We have a all electric house, well, spetic, etc. Generator filled, and ~10 gallons of backup fuel in cans. ~50 gallons in cars if needed. If power goes out we can be self sufficent since we are on well and have a generator. ~100 lbs of meat in the freezer. Garden just tilled getting ready to plant the starts for the season.

I am in surbubia so I'm not going pepper crazy. I'd guess we can go 30-45 days totally self sufficient if we didn't need to take a step off our property.

Otherwise from a job front I am still working so is the wife. My company seems to be insulated so far from most of the pandemic; specifically my job is project based looking 5 to 7 years out with large expenditures soon ( 100+ million) to support future business. My wife works for the local medical center. For weeks the medical center essentally shut down except for tele-medicine and COVID patients. From a covit standpoint I think the max they center ever saw was ~30 inpatients on any day, not they are hovering at upper teens to low twenty patient count. They just started doing elective, non emergency surgeries again last week so hopefully that will help stabilize the finantial stabiltiy of the medical center.

And for depression....none of that here. Honestly with work and all ( even working from home) I seem to have less time now that before, so I don't have time to be depresses.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gloom, despair, and agony on me, deep dark depression, excessive misery...

“It’s not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what’s required.”

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Precisely.

Rams
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm good, thanks!

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Gloom, despair, and agony on me, deep dark depression, excessive misery...

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2020 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeffrey Dahmer wrote a survival cookbook, didn't he?

Bwahahahaha
p-car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for p-carSend a Private Message to p-carEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Would like to think, That, Those around us would pull together as a "village" and work together to do things using the skills we all have, A barter and trade Type thing. Some are good at gardening, Some are good at hunting/fishing, Some are good at being the night watchman, to protect the villages supplies.
I would guess this will depend on what type area you live in, if you are the only one around for miles, it will be different than someone in a city center, And those outside city limits but not out in the boonies.
No one man can stand alone, you will fall. You might think you can do it all, but you can not watch over your goods 24/7 , you have to sleep.
Sad to say this, but I think a major depression would bring back the people on your street , in your neighborhood talking to each other and working together, helping each other, Something that has been lost over the last 50 years.
Out of the ashes comes a beautiful flower.
The "global economy" experiment has now shown just how bad an idea it was. And it needs to end ASAP..

Food, isn't a problem so far, sure somethings are hard to get but you can live without processed meats.
Come winter when what would normally be frozen or canned from over production and then avail. when fresh is limited because of the season, is when the crap will hit the fan.
Time to get back to local farms and move away from the corporate farming. Time to move away from the bigger is better ideals, and back to smaller local food production.
Be it livestock, fowl, fish, fruits and veg's. Us moving to huge corporate type food companies have shown how fast that can go sideways.
Time to go back to the old ways of doing it. Even if it cost more because smaller farms/producers don't have the volume of scale. Us being cheap #$%^^ shot us in the foot, and this should be a wake up call. To fix it before we can't.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by p-car:

I Would like to think, That, Those around us would pull together as a "village" and work together to do things using the skills we all have, A barter and trade Type thing. Some are good at gardening, Some are good at hunting/fishing, Some are good at being the night watchman, to protect the villages supplies.
I would guess this will depend on what type area you live in, if you are the only one around for miles, it will be different than someone in a city center, And those outside city limits but not out in the boonies.
No one man can stand alone, you will fall. You might think you can do it all, but you can not watch over your goods 24/7 , you have to sleep.
Sad to say this, but I think a major depression would bring back the people on your street , in your neighborhood talking to each other and working together, helping each other, Something that has been lost over the last 50 years.
Out of the ashes comes a beautiful flower.
The "global economy" experiment has now shown just how bad an idea it was. And it needs to end ASAP..

Food, isn't a problem so far, sure somethings are hard to get but you can live without processed meats.
Come winter when what would normally be frozen or canned from over production and then avail. when fresh is limited because of the season, is when the crap will hit the fan.
Time to get back to local farms and move away from the corporate farming. Time to move away from the bigger is better ideals, and back to smaller local food production.
Be it livestock, fowl, fish, fruits and veg's. Us moving to huge corporate type food companies have shown how fast that can go sideways.
Time to go back to the old ways of doing it. Even if it cost more because smaller farms/producers don't have the volume of scale. Us being cheap #$%^^ shot us in the foot, and this should be a wake up call. To fix it before we can't.

To a certain extent, I agree with you. Outsourcing everything currently being produced in China, India, South America and other places has turned this country in to mostly a Service Industry Economy. Very few folks that I know actually have gardens or have hunting skills and even fewer can butcher what they might kill. Self-sufficiency is severely lacking in the vast majority of Americans.

I am not about to suggest that all the issues mentioned in the thread title are going to happen but, the point is, they could and if they do, are you or I prepared...…
People freely discuss what they have in the freezer for meat but, what will they do when that runs or the electricity is cut and that meat thaws and rots? Just things to think about.
Not everyone has a pasture with cattle in it or a garden already planted and growing. Most folks don't even know how to can. We have a lot to re-learn.

Rams
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sad to say this, but I think a major depression would bring back the people on your street , in your neighborhood talking to each other and working together, helping each other,

Sad to say ? That would be a good thing.

Sad to say evil works the same way.
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recall we had a similar conversation back when John Stricker was still here. The conclusion, given the population density of New Jersey?

I'm a dead man. Just a question of how long.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh!!! I saw this movie!!!

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:
The conclusion, given the population density of New Jersey?

I'm a dead man. Just a question of how long.

I do miss J Stricker.

I do wonder how long the deer population here would last. With no power, freezers would not work. It makes sense to share deer meat. Also to not deplete the deer gene pool.

Damn. Now we need government, .
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2020 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How long?

Apparently for laid-off factory workers it's less than 60 days. My neighbour had his truck towed Monday, and just texted looking for old newspaper to wrap dishes. They are moving to her moms until this is over and they can find work again.
p-car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p-carSend a Private Message to p-carEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I do miss J Stricker.

I do wonder how long the deer population here would last. With no power, freezers would not work. It makes sense to share deer meat. Also to not deplete the deer gene pool.

Damn. Now we need government, .

Freezers, not needed, At one time ,it wasn't an option.

p-car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p-carSend a Private Message to p-carEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

p-car

36 posts
Member since Apr 2020

Originally posted by cliffw:

Sad to say ? That would be a good thing.

Sad to say evil works the same way.

Yes, sad to say it will take a major depression to get folks to change and talk to those living around them.
Many don't talk with anyone living near them other than a passing hello.
At one time it wasn't this way, and everyone knew everybody and talked, Today they get up, go to work , come home and hide in the house/apartment. Many stopped even trying as people get offended over the tiniest things.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2020 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, sad to say it will take a major depression to get folks to change and talk to those living around them.
Many don't talk with anyone living near them other than a passing hello.
At one time it wasn't this way, and everyone knew everybody and talked, Today they get up, go to work , come home and hide in the house/apartment. Many stopped even trying as people get offended over the tiniest things.

Honestly, people did that to themselves with their demands and attitudes. If you have neighbors or "friends" in close proximity, you get NO peace-and-quiet or "me" time without having to fight and argue about it. You end up last in line in your own life, and somehow when you really put your foot down over it, you are the bad guy.

Not that hard to understand why people don't want to deal with it.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a job working at the unemployment office. You'll never be out of work.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Honestly, people did that to themselves with their demands and attitudes. If you have neighbors or "friends" in close proximity, you get NO peace-and-quiet or "me" time without having to fight and argue about it. You end up last in line in your own life, and somehow when you really put your foot down over it, you are the bad guy.

Not that hard to understand why people don't want to deal with it.

I've never found that to be the case and have lived in over a dozen different states.
But, I've been told I have a rather sunny disposition too.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder when, how much, taxes will rise, value of the dollar, etc.
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As of yet I have had no issues buying what we need. It may take a little more work but most of the time I can get what we need delivered to my door.

I know that its about perspective. You can not fit Ohio into a plan made for California, hell even northern and southern California don't fit in the same plan.
Was talking yesterday about if we were in Ohio or even Florida I would find a farm and buy a cow and have it butchered and split the meat between a couple of houses.
Here in CA it would be more difficult for me to pull that off.

If **** starts to really hit the fan I am going to hit the road and work my way back to Ohio. (if there is another Democrat voted into office)
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's going to be a struggle. Been dealing with one thing or another the past 5 years, still about 30k in the hole from that whole NICU adventure.

Been working and clicking through ebay and craigslist for Fieros all morning, because its either that or I'll start drinking. I just hope we don't lose power or die or something.

Wish I could turn the clock back 20 years or so. (Who doesn't want that, heh...)

This is going to be a difficult Fall, and Winter is coming...

*scans the sky for dragons*

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock