Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Previously unknown side effect of Trump-touted Covid-19 drug: Expert gets 'downsized' (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Previously unknown side effect of Trump-touted Covid-19 drug: Expert gets 'downsized' by rinselberg
Started on: 04-22-2020 06:20 PM
Replies: 258 (4218 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 09-18-2020 09:20 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:
Too bad you are incapable of EVALUATING data. Where there is an increase in testing for a disease there will be an increase in identified cases. The same as an increase in IQ testing will show an increase in identified MORONS like you. Your raging mental illness isn't helping either.

For his service to the nation, I salute him. For the betterment of this forum--and himself--I urge him to share his rinselberg-related messages with someone who has his best interests at heart (not the online cronies who likely are egging on him) and start a conversation that would lead to him finding a better way for him to participate online.

That's unofficial.

This is OFFICIAL:

It's a shame that the co-habitants of forum member randye's little insane asylum have not been moved to intervene and keep him from going online every day to embarrass himself like this.

Obviously, it's a tradeoff. More convenient to allow their wheelchair-sized sack of emotional (or neurological) brain damage to remain stationary in his Internet spot and spew his verbal sewer waste online, than to have him rolling himself around other areas of the house and spreading a smelly, sticky, unsanitary trail of drool from his constantly spasming "gob" that someone has to clean up.

Better to have more of that all in one spot. His Internet spot. The carpet or flooring there must be well beyond the point of rescue, even by the experts from SERVPRO.

Covid-related counting and statistics--it's an important subtext of this thread.

This looks to me like a good report about it--and it has just been published.

It can be read without trying to compare the United States to the European Union or any of the European nations, or any other nation. It can be read as a straightforward investigative and analytical-style report, without framing it as an "indictment" of President Trump or any particular aspects or elements of the Trump administration. And it can be read attentively, from end to end in under 15 minutes, if you're a fast reader, or about 20 minutes, if you're more like me in that regard. (According to Read-O-Meter.)

So, if you are thinking about returning to this thread to add to your previous bloviations, or if you are a newcomer to this thread, you would be doing yourself a favor to look at this report and at the very least, scroll through it and get a "feel" for it.

That suggestion is for myself, as much as for anyone else. At this point, I have only scrolled through this report, browsing it, as a way to appraise its value in the Free Market of Ideas--a value which I am describing as "Considerable."

MEDIA REPORT CITATION
“It’s like we’re flying blind”: The US has a Covid-19 data problem
Brian Resnick for Vox; August 5, 2020.
https://www.vox.com/science...ns-schools-reopening

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 08-06-2020).]

IP: Logged
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Houston Methodist reports rapid recovery of critically ill COVID-19 patients with new drug

Methodist was the first to report the rapid recovery of patients on ventilators and those with severe medical conditions after three days of treatment. The drug is called RLF-100 and is also known as aviptadil. It has been approved by the FDA for emergency use at multiple clinical sites in patients who are too ill to enter the FDA’s Phase 2/3 trials.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35848 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Patrick:
Sorry, it's rather difficult to take much of this seriously.

Answer a question rinselberg would not.

You fell face down in a covid 19 pit, your life is in peril, would you take the Hydroxichlorine treatment ?

Do you even know what the current treatment for Covid is ?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Well, apparently, it's either "Don't worry about it, you'll be fine" or "Go home and die". It just depends on which box you checked when you registered to vote.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

It can be read without ... It can be read as ... And it can be read attentively, from end to end in under 15 minutes, if you're a fast reader, or about 20 minutes, if you're more like me in that regard.

Yet you read it completely different. Go figure, .

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 08-06-2020).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You fell face down in a covid 19 pit, your life is in peril, would you take the Hydroxichlorine treatment ?

Our doctors in BC are full-time physicians (as opposed to "Dr" Stella Immanuel). Whatever treatment* they're currently using on COVID-19 here, it appears to be highly effective.

*And I doubt it's hydroxychloroquine... Health Canada issues warning against use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-06-2020).]

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For his service to the nation, I salute him.

If only you had some service to the nation, or anywhere for that matter, that you could be saluted for.

You have arrived at this late point in your life unaccomplished and completely dependent on others Ronald.

Your mental condition makes you incapable of living independently.

You will leave no positive mark on the world of your having ever existed.

The only thing that will outlast you will be a long string of mentally deranged, psychotic, internet posts that will gradually be cached into oblivion.

There is still some time for you to avoid that if you will GET HELP RONALD

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Our doctors in BC are full-time physicians (as opposed to "Dr" Stella Immanuel). Whatever treatment* they're currently using on COVID-19 here, it appears to be highly effective.

Ok. Canadian doctors can not chew gum and walk at the same time, got it.

What ever treatment they are using is highly effective. That is bull **** . What is the recovery rate ? You are not sharing with the rest of the world ?

*And I doubt it's hydroxychloroquine... Health Canada issues warning against use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19

Again, bull **** . You are smarter than that. They didn't warn against it. Read your own damn link. They listed side effects (as has been done for decades) and said it wasn't approved by a socialized medical care system that is lacking, a lot.

You did not answer the question. Your life is in peril.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your life is in peril.

Your logic is in question.

Canada is doing a whole lot better than the States in regards to COVID-19, especially here in BC.

If you like, I'll let you know when PUSSY puts out... puts out a video in response to America's Frontline Doctors.

In the meantime, listen to some facts...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-07-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36348 posts
Member since Apr 99

...a socialized medical care system that is lacking, a lot.

For a medical care system that's "lacking, a lot", it's sure kicking the ass of whatever the hell "system" you've got going down there. You should be freakin' embarrassed.

COVID-19 in the U.S.: How do Canada's provinces rank against American states?

TORONTO -- How do Canadian provinces compare to American states in terms of COVID-19 cases? We’ve calculated reported cases per million people each day of the pandemic to get an idea of how the two countries stack up. Overall, even Canada’s highest-reporting regions are low compared to places south of the border.

When you create a sorted list of the provinces and states (including Washington, D.C.), Canada's first province, Alberta, ranks 50th when it comes to recent cases per capita. Only 2 states currently have fewer average daily cases per million (Maine, Vermont).

Even at their peaks, Canada’s provinces are still relatively low – Quebec tops the list for Canada at 38th overall in terms of highest all-time average daily cases per million people.

Below is an updated list of the states and provinces sorted by the current number of cases being reported. We’re showing the average number of daily cases over a seven day period by default.

Click the headline link above to see all the graphs, and in more detail. They're current, as of August 5th. The following is a couple of screen-grabs of these graphs.

Cliff, British Columbia looks rather safe to me... but thanks for your concern.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-06-2020).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Click the headline link above to see all the graphs, and in more detail. They're current, as of August 5th. The following is a couple of screen-grabs of these graphs.

Cliff, British Columbia looks rather safe to me... but thanks for your concern.

Patrick... literally, the state of NY by itself makes up more than half the population of your entire country. Your OWN charts should show you everything you need to know.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I probably would not, unless it was cleared and highly recommended by all of my attending physicians, and even then, it is highly unlikely I would agree to such treatment.
I refuse to be a part of pushing a false narrative just because a sitting president fell for some bogus French "study" by a physician that almost all his peers discounted.

I do have a great cardiologist in MetroHouston, but fortunately, she isn't some weirdo in a Northwest Houston strip mall that believes the world is run by off world lizard people.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-07-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Patrick... literally, the state of NY by itself makes up more than half the population of your entire country. Your OWN charts should show you everything you need to know.

Todd... your post shows me everything I need to know.

The charts show cases per million.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I do have a great cardiologist in MetroHouston, but fortunately, she isn't some weirdo in a Northwest Houston strip mall that believes the world is run by off world lizard people.

And yet that "weirdo in a Northwest Houston strip mall that believes the world is run by off world lizard people" is a Board Certified, Licensed, medical doctor in the state of Texas with zero medical malpractice complaints.

We used to have an Orthodontist that had his practice in a strip mall. He was an excellent Orthodontist and did great work for my wife and my 2 kids.

We found out later that he is a Scientologist.

Scientologists believe that an evil galactic overlord named Xenu dropped billions of his people into volcanos here on planet earth and then blew them up with hydrogen bombs.
Their angry souls, (Scientologists call them "body thetans" / "BTs"), were released and Scientologists believe that those spirits of dead space aliens now infest the bodies of humans on earth today like invisible bed bugs or lice and must be removed by "auditing", a process using a crude lie detector that they call an "E-Meter".

I don't like the $cientology cult one bit and I have helped a lot of people escape from it, but I also know how to separate someone's "religious beliefs" from their professional work and their character.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 08-07-2020).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your logic is in question.

As is your intelligence. You still did not answer the question.

Canada is doing a whole lot better than the States in regards to COVID-19, especially here in BC.

If you like, I'll let you know when PUSSY puts out a video in response to America's Frontline Doctors.

They won't. Trust me, they won't, because they can't.

In the meantime, listen to some facts...

Medical Tourism to the USA

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 08-08-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They won't. Trust me, they won't, because they can't.

Who's "they"?

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you saying that she is lying about her results?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I went to the store yesterday. When I got back a few hours later, I noticed all my electronic stuff had their clocks flashing which told me the power had gone off while I was gone, but was now restored. (it happens here..frequently..never knew why)
Looking at my watch, and seeing what time the clocks were showing, I realized the power went off just as I left and came back on just as I was pulling in the driveway.
I caused the power outage by leaving and restored it just by returning.

Am I lying..or just made an unjustified assumption about cause and effect? Correlation vs causation?

Next time you get a common cold, try swinging a dead cat around your head a few times at midnight. In about 3-7 days, your cold will be gone. That dead cat thing works every time and it gets rid of warts on cattle too, but takes a couple weeks longer to work on them...I probably should use a couple of cats instead of just one for them.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-08-2020).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Who's "they"?

PUSSY

Try to keep up.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again, the US is dramatically over-counting the death numbers, while other countries are under-counting.

Define "dramatically' in relation to 5,111,473 total US cases.
Not some vague reference like 'hundreds' or 'thousands' please.
A finite number.

You allege it, so I assume you know exactly (or close to it) the number of cases that were 'over counted'.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

What I say on this matter is inconsequential. Listen to a real doctor in the video I already posted.

PUSSY

Try to keep up.

When Physicians Utilizing Super Secret Yin-Yang present their findings demonstrating how impotent America's Frontline Doctors are... you'll no doubt hear about it.

In the meantime... maybe some light reading?
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Define "dramatically' in relation to 5,111,473 total US cases.
Not some vague reference like 'hundreds' or 'thousands' please.
A finite number.

You allege it, so I assume you know exactly (or close to it) the number of cases that were 'over counted'.

No one knows, but I think the math stands on its own.

There are 149,000 deaths in Texas every single year due to everything from car crashes to choking on hot dogs.

There have been 7,300 deaths on COVID (last I checked a couple of days ago) in Texas.

We DO know that ALL deaths where the body/corpse tested for COVID is being listed as a COVID death. EVEN when COVID had absolutely nothing to do with the death. We know this as ABSOLUTE FACT for the ENTIRE state of Illinois, because very literally, the director of health for the state said that is exactly what they're doing. It's been also proven this is happening in other states as well, and it is one of the primary reasons why Trump eliminated reporting per CDC, and why guidance has since been issued that numbers only be counted as per the death certificate.

Based on sheer numbers alone, it can easily be concluded through basic statistics alone that the numbers are significant. I wouldn't hesitate to guess for a minute that a good 1,000 of the numbers in Texas are probably misrepresented. But, I cannot give you an exact number... nor can anyone at this point, and quite frankly... who cares? There is nothing the United States is doing that is any bit deficient than the other countries. We have the best healthcare system in the world with the most advanced equipment. Even in our poorer areas, we are better capable of dealing with this.

It's not just about my love of country and me being purposefully obnoxious about our ability to handle things, but in this case, it just is. There have been numerous articles of countries (in Western Europe) who have failed to properly report the death numbers properly... and of course, Iran, Russia, China, we know those numbers are just nonsense.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In other words, the claim is just unproven, un-substantiated and un-quantified rhetoric...or as some might call it.....theatrics.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-08-2020).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2020 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In other words, the claim is just unproven, un-substantiated and un-quantified rhetoric...or as some might call it.....theatrics.

Listen, this is no time for think'n!
What we need now is feelings*!

F.U.B.A.R. is not just a state-o-mind...

*Post Script; Subject: Human...Everything is feelings.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-09-2020).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2020 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MJ... listen, I respect you, I mean that. But even in the most conservative approach, the FACTS we do know point unequivocally to the FACT that the numbers do not properly represent the actual statistics. This is fact, and substantiated. That said, the current numbers we have are un-quantified, but no one has yet quantified what the correct numbers would be. I don't think anyone really cares... it's been politicized. The virus is bad, but it's also been used by political opponents to instill sheer terror into the populate for the benefit of political gain or political loss.

Here are some rough percentages we know. In the state of Minnesota, a formal review of the death certificates in the state determined that FEWER than 41% of the actual COVID deaths were *actually* as a result of COVID: https://www.conservativerev...primary-cause-death/

In some cases, the states are literally adding people to the death tolls that died from something else and were never actually tested for COVID:
https://www.nytimes.com/202...onavirus-deaths.html

"N.Y.C. Death Toll Soars Past 10,000 in Revised Virus Count. The city has added more than 3,700 additional people who were presumed to have died of the coronavirus but had never tested positive. . . ." ... simply because they may have died from high fever, pneumonia, and other influenza viruses.

So... as you've discussed before, there is a substantial increase in funding that goes with attributing deaths to COVID, which has resulted in a dramatic misrepresentation of the number of deaths.

Most experts have concluded that the error is in the neighborhood of 25% LESS than what is actually being reported. So if you're asking me for an answer, I'd say the numbers are off by about 25%.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 08-09-2020).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2020 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I probably would not, unless it was cleared and highly recommended by all of my attending physicians, and even then, it is highly unlikely I would agree to such treatment.
I refuse to be a part of pushing a false narrative just because a sitting president fell for some bogus French "study" by a physician that almost all his peers discounted.

Would you change your attending physicians ?

My primary care provider is a nurse practitioner, in a strip mall. The entity is Peterson Community Health Care, overseen by our main hospital Peterson Hospital. Unlike most nurses, she has the authorization to prescribe many medications, and refers her charge to needed licensed professionals.

I do not get the sense that she believes the world is run by off world lizard people. I do get the sense she votes Republican, .

Which claim ? Your numbers or Todd's thoughts ?

Todd, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics numbers. The numbers do not tell a story. Maybe they do.

Covid has claimed 3.34% deaths per infection. .047 percent of the entire US population. Yet 8.57% of Americans do not have jobs as a result of the shut down. Businesses are disappearing. Landlords can not evict or collect rent but still have to pay back loans. What has the government spent to mitigate the economic damage ? At least three trillion. Borrowed money.

The story not being told by the numbers are how many deaths are due to anti maskers, elderly, other complicating medical conditions.

Also not mentioned the overall COVID-19 recovery rate is between 97% and 99.75%.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... you fell into the Covid 19 chasm face first. Your life is in peril. Would you take hydroxychloroquine ?

rinselberg would not answer the question, neither would Patrick. maryjane did.

Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine Cut Death Rate Significantly in COVID-19 Patients, Henry Ford Health System Study Shows

In a large-scale retrospective analysis of 2,541 patients hospitalized between March 10 and May 2, 2020 across the system’s six hospitals, the study found 13% of those treated with hydroxychloroquine alone died compared to 26.4% not treated with hydroxychloroquine.

“The findings have been highly analyzed and peer-reviewed,” said Dr. Marcus Zervos, division head of Infectious Disease for Henry Ford Health System, who co-authored the study with Henry Ford epidemiologist Samia Arshad. “We attribute our findings that differ from other studies to early treatment, and part of a combination of interventions that were done in supportive care of patients, including careful cardiac monitoring. Our dosing also differed from other studies not showing a benefit of the drug. And other studies are either not peer reviewed, have limited numbers of patients, different patient populations or other differences from our patients.”

For those that missed it ...

Houston Methodist reports rapid recovery of critically ill COVID-19 patients with new drug

Methodist was the first to report the rapid recovery of patients on ventilators and those with severe medical conditions after three days of treatment. The drug is called RLF-100 and is also known as aviptadil. It has been approved by the FDA for emergency use at multiple clinical sites in patients who are too ill to enter the FDA’s Phase 2/3 trials.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which claim ? Your numbers or Todd's thoughts ?

The latter.

Todd, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics numbers. The numbers do not tell a story. Maybe they do.

Which is it..that the numbers do NOT tell a story..or maybe they do?

Covid has claimed 3.34% deaths per infection. .047 percent of the entire US population. Yet 8.57% of Americans do not have jobs as a result of the shut down. Businesses are disappearing. Landlords can not evict or collect rent but still have to pay back loans. What has the government spent to mitigate the economic damage ? At least three trillion. Borrowed money.

The story not being told by the numbers are how many deaths are due to anti maskers, elderly, other complicating medical conditions.

Also not mentioned the overall COVID-19 recovery rate is between 97% and 99.75%.

It sounds just SO trivial doesn't it, when put in that '.047/less than 1%' perspective doesn't it?
People's grandparents, uncles, brothers, sister, wives, husbands, fellow employees, friends and neighbors..dead.

If this was a military war, that would be the equivalent of 11 reinforced infantry divisions lost in 8 months. 3x the number of soldiers,sailors, Marines, Airmen we lost in Vietnam and it took 10 years for that.
Congrats America..we managed to kill off 167,050 of our fellow citizens in far far less time than it took the NVA to kill 58,220 of us.

But as long as we can keep it in nameless, faceless dead people perspective, and put a price tag...a monetary value on OTHER PEOPLE's LIVES I suppose it's easier for some to digest and live with.
But then, it's always been that way for some..hasn't it?

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2020 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It sounds just SO trivial doesn't it, when put in that '.047/less than 1%' perspective doesn't it?
People's grandparents, uncles, brothers, sister, wives, husbands, fellow employees, friends and neighbors..dead.

If this was a military war, that would be the equivalent of 11 reinforced infantry divisions lost in 8 months. 3x the number of soldiers,sailors, Marines, Airmen we lost in Vietnam and it took 10 years for that.
Congrats America..we managed to kill off 167,050 of our fellow citizens in far far less time than it took the NVA to kill 58,220 of us.

But as long as we can keep it in nameless, faceless dead people perspective, and put a price tag...a monetary value on OTHER PEOPLE's LIVES I suppose it's easier for some to digest and live with.

MJ, come on. You know this is what is referred to as a "Straw Man" argument... that we keep it nameless so we don't have to care. No one is suggesting this.

I think a lot of people agree that all of this could have been handled much better... EVERYONE could have handled it much better. The emphasis should have been on the weak and elderly. Special precautions at hospitals, nursing homes, and people who are at risk should stay home. Instead, we shut everything down, and it didn't really do anything.

You look at... what was it, Sweden? No masks except in stores, no lock downs... lowest percentage of death rate.

In many segments of society... there have been more suicides and drug overdoses than there have been deaths from COVID. I do not know ANYONE personally that has died from COVID, but I know 2 people personally who died from suicide because of COVID and everything going on during the lockdown. It is completely disingenuous of you to suggest all of us don't care.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2020 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In many segments of society... there have been more suicides and drug overdoses than there have been deaths from COVID. I do not know ANYONE personally that has died from COVID, but I know 2 people personally who died from suicide because of COVID and everything going on during the lockdown. It is completely disingenuous of you to suggest all of us don't care.

Oddly enough no one here was demanding that we "care" or "not care" when the equivalent of 40 "reinforced infantry divisions" died of cancer in the U.S. in 2019

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 08-13-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2020 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never said or implied that "all of us" didn't care.
Sweden cannot be compared to the US. It has only one city with a population over 1,000,000 and only 9 with populations of 100,000 or more.

US has 10 cities of over 1,000,000 population and 317 cities that have a population of 100,000 or more.
Sweden's overal population density is 65 inhabitants/sq mile while the US has an overall population density of 3,238 inhabitants/sq mile.
And considering the comparative size of the 2 nations, Sweden didn't really do all that great anyway.

Emphasis on the elderly? No. Emphasis on everyone. Children currently are reported to be the #1 transmitter or spreader of Covid19 and the # of cases in people 17 years and under are increasing.

There has been a dramatic increase in coronavirus cases among children in the United States, according to a report from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). The association noted a 90% increase in pediatric cases over four weeks.

From July 9 to August 6, confirmed cases of COVID-19 in children across the country went from 200,184 to 380,174 – an increase of 179,990 new cases, according to the pediatrics group.

During the last two weeks of July alone, more than 97,000 children tested positive for the coronavirus, according to the AAP.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, nearly 400,000 children have come down with it.

Cancer? More apples to oranges. There is no known cancer than can be spread from one human to another thru breathing, kissing, close contact, aerosols, sex, or even blood transfusion. It's not infectious.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-13-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2020 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I never said or implied that "all of us" didn't care.
Sweden cannot be compared to the US. It has only one city with a population over 1,000,000 and only 9 with populations of 100,000 or more.

US has 10 cities of over 1,000,000 population and 317 cities that have a population of 100,000 or more.
Sweden's overal population density is 65 inhabitants/sq mile while the US has an overall population density of 3,238 inhabitants/sq mile.

Excuses.

Again, in MANY (potentially most), there has been far more deaths by suicide and drug overdoses as a result of COVID lockdowns and isolation. I know no one personally who has died from COVID, but I know 2 people who have died from suicide. And, if I'm being completely honest... one of those two took out his entire family (wife plus 4 kids). So... make that 7 people dead.

Unless you have some personal tragedy tied to COVID, then perhaps you can understand my frustrations with your harping on masks and lockdowns and all that other bull **** . Not trying to be disrespectful... but **** this whole thing. Sweden did it the right way, and the rest of us should have done it too.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would like to know how to bring up that kind of data. Is that from the CDC..? I mean, is there a way to bring up a tabulation of data from here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronav...s-updates/index.html

Muchas gracias. (I hope.)
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would like to know how to bring up that kind of data. Is that from the CDC..? I mean, is there a way to bring up a tabulation of data from here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronav...s-updates/index.html

Muchas gracias. (I hope.)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Scroll down for various charts and graphs. Click on USA for a state by state chart. Click on each column header to sort by that value.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 08-14-2020).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Muchas gracias.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweden..
https://elemental.medium.co...ght-now-624e7fe0a1ed
https://news.virginia.edu/c...n-analysis-concludes

https://www.statista.com/st...en-number-of-deaths/
Number of deaths in Sweden 2010-2020
Published by Agnete Lundetræ Jürgensen, Aug 4, 2020
The number of deaths in Sweden in 2020 amounted to about 59 thousand as of July 29. A share of the deaths in 2020 were related to the coronavirus epidemic. The highest number of coronavirus deaths were among individuals age 70 and older. Sweden was the Nordic country that reported the highest number of COVID-19 deaths in 2020 so far.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/heal...rus-better-1.4967014

As early as April 15, (maybe earlier) it was believed by Sweden that they would be able to reach herd immunity within weeks of late April. We now know that was a falseassumption and currently, Sweden's own research shows that only about 7%-15% of the large cities' population has any immunity markers at all here in mid August.

The much touted (but obviously flawed) 'herd immunity' was a failure in Sweden, and had the rest of Europe and the US and S. American nations done the same as Sweden, almost every epidemiologist in the world will tell you it would have been disastrous in terms of increased cases and increased death rates.
https://www.webmd.com/lung/...chieve-herd-immunity
https://www.sciencemediacen...-immunity-in-sweden/
https://medicalxpress.com/n...den-materialize.html
https://www.newsweek.com/sw...-coronavirus-1524847

All of that of course, only reflects infections and dead people. If one is focused more on economic issues and can easily compartmentalize deaths apart from $$$$ then I suppose there's little reason to discuss things much, and going another few meters down that despicable rabbit hole, if the true issue is politically related (insuring or increasing the chances of who one wants to get elected or re-elected) then those people will never care who or how many die anyway.

In regards to suicides....
I've only personally known one person that committed suicide and most of us (it was a cousin) will always believe it was spousal murder. But your statement does home in on a point I've made from the beginning of Covid. Suicide is always a tragic choice to make, albeit a very personal one. But it is a choice. Getting infected with an illness from someone else has far less choice involved and in the case of covid (like all infectious diseases) , the choice falls mainly with the person that is already infected. All deaths, illnesses and other medical concerns always affect most people the more when they happen to someone that is personally known, but the reality is that we should all be equally concerned about deaths of those we don't know as well.
'Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness'.... If we believe it individually for ourselves, then we must believe it holds true for all others as well.
Dead folks have none of those options/rights available.

The mask narrative has all but (and rather suddenly) died down significantly. I see people with mask everywhere now, and seeing someone without one is now the exception. Masked people is the most obvious and most visible sign of the pandemic, reminding us all that covid is still a significant problem, and that's the biggest reason so conservatives many were against it (Senator McConnell being an early exception) .......but many on the right steadfastly objected to masks...right up until this point:

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-14-2020).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which is it..that the numbers do NOT tell a story..or maybe they do?

The number of deaths do not, all the numbers might.

Yeah, it does. But it is not. This is where I insert "one death is too many".

People's grandparents, uncles, brothers, sister, wives, husbands, fellow employees, friends and neighbors ... unemployed. Children not going to school, business shut down, many not to reopen. Life savings, lost. Commercial real estate, plumeting. Violations of Constitutional rights. Borrowing massive amounts of money from our children and grandchildren, born or not.

People's grandparents, uncles, brothers, sister, wives, husbands, fellow employees, friends and neighbors are dying alone, loved ones facing a loss.These grandparents, uncles, brothers, sister, wives, husbands, fellow employees, friends and neighbors wanting to be there to give and receive comfort, can not be there to comfort them, or themselves.

I am a grandparent, uncle, brother, husband, fellow employee, friend, and neighbor. I have parents, uncles, cousins. If I die ? Meh. My family and friends know that death is the result of life. You have heard it said that "he died doing what he loved".

You are not surprised, nor am I your huckleberry. I have infected no one. I have been very diligent in wearing a mask, self isolation, social distancing when needed. My wife was devout. My greatest fear was that I would infect my wife. As you know she tested positive, I did not. I can not infect someone if I don't have it. Now I may have it and my mask wearing is of more urgency, to protect whomever. I reported Cindi's positive test to our apartment manager, my closest neighbors, and to others. Was that in CDC guidelines ? No, no it wasn't.

I know my wife has it. Am I wearing a mask in the house ? No ! I ain't skered. You remember I was recently hospitalized with severe respiratory issues.

The deaths are sad, very much so. To be expected in my view. Government(s) and citizens have been on a learning curve. Sure, nameless deaths are easier for some to digest and live with. The numbers do not tell if the 160,000 were antimaskers, illegal aliens who came across for covid treatment, or even people who had major health complications already. Yes, there is an unusual spike at the Texas borders.

Sure, 167,050 of our fellow citizens died in far far less time than it took the NVA to kill 58,220 of us. In the same far less time, 1,341,360 American deaths have been reported. How many did "WE" kill ?

The Spanish flu ? My readings suggest it died out because the weak died and herd immunity helped curb it.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Covid-19 is more than just deaths.

It's young and middle-aged people with symptoms that in many cases are still affecting them, many weeks or even months after recovering enough to be discharged from a hospital--or even if they were symptomatic but were not hospitalized.

The patients that have to go on ventilators to survive--they are still "messed up" in many cases, even after they are discharged and return to their homes. Diminished lung capacity. Neurological impacts.

The long term effects of a Covid-19 infection... not well known yet, but there's a lot to look at and it can't all be good.

I don't think they can assure even the people that are being described as "asymptomatic" that they are not suffering some damage that will stay with them or not become evident until more time has passed.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 08-14-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Putting a price tag or monetary value on lives lost again (still) I see. Dead people aren't losing anything on their investments, aren't carried on unemployment rolls, they have no need for 'life savings'. Jobs will return...the dead will not walk again on this planet.

I've been wearing a mask since early March, as unlike many, I understood very early on that the primary function of a mask was/is to prevent ME from infecting someone else. The failure of this nation to have a national mask requirement has caused the deaths of thousands, and Texas didn't have a statewide policy on it until July 2, four months after the US declared a pandemic.

I can not infect someone if I don't have it

A 100% completely false assumption. Many people have the virus on or in their bodies but are not infected themselves. No one is infected until or unless the virus actually hijacks cells to replicate more virus and no infection shows up in a diagnostic test until antibodies begin to start acting. In that case, a different (molecular) test would be done, to look for the actual virus or protein from the virus.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69622 posts
Member since Apr 2001

The Spanish flu ? My readings suggest it died out because the weak died and herd immunity helped curb it.

I don't know where all these myths and mis-information comes from or why anyone with an IQ over 20 would fall for it once they read it. You really really really REALLY need to do some more reading. The Spanish flu killed more healthy young people than old weak people.
[quote]

The 1918 pandemic is also unique among influenza pandemics in that absolute risk of influenza death was higher in those <65 years of age than in those >65; persons <65 years of age accounted for >99% of all excess influenza-related deaths in 1918–1919...........................

The Spanish Influenza affected particularly the 25- to 34-year-old and 15- to 24-year-old age groups..........

In this paper, we built from a forthcoming study [3] by analysing yearly ages at death during the fall wave of the 1918 pandemic in various locations in Canada and the USA and report a peak at the exact age of 28. Exploring the shape of the distribution of deaths leads us to propose immunological mechanisms that may help explain the atypically high young adult mortality in 1918, and relate that unusual pattern to prior exposure to the Russian influenza pandemic in 1889–90.............

Patterns of fatality

The pandemic mostly killed young adults. In 1918–1919, 99% of pandemic influenza deaths in the U.S. occurred in people under 65, and nearly half of deaths were in young adults 20 to 40 years old. In 1920, the mortality rate among people under 65 had decreased sixfold to half the mortality rate of people over 65, but 92% of deaths still occurred in people under 65.[154] This is unusual, since influenza is typically most deadly to weak individuals, such as infants under age two, adults over age 70, and the immunocompromised. .....

Abstract
A well-known feature of the great H1N1 influenza pandemic of a century ago is that the highest mortality rate was amongst young adults. ......

In contrast, A(H1N1) 1918–20 pandemic mortality was W-shaped. When adjusting for the seasonal baseline, young adults had higher but the elderly lower than expected mortality.....

https://www.cambridge.org/c...4DF42209/core-reader

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
https://academic.oup.com/aj.../187/12/2511/5074393
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.go...articles/PMC3734171/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.go...articles/PMC1088249/
https://www.sciencedirect.c...ii/S1755436511000053

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-14-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)