Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Gunna ask a dumb question about garden tools...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Gunna ask a dumb question about garden tools... by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 03-22-2020 04:59 PM
Replies: 21 (358 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 04-02-2020 09:37 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm re-landscaping my front yard, and I'm looking to install low voltage lighting in front of my house. I'm trying to figure out the name of an electric or gas powered tool that allows you to cut channels into the ground, but I cannot remember what it's called. It's similar to a chain-saw of sorts, but you use it in the ground, and it operates at a slower speed. The telecommunications and power companies use them to dig trenches to lay their cabling.

Is there anything like this that they sell for the consumer that's hand-held? I don't want anything huge, and I'm probably not going to go very deep anyway, but I want to make it as straight as possible because I intend to put all the cabling in conduit as well.

(P.S. I will call the local utilities to flag it out for me before I start digging).

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditch Witch.
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're thinking of a ditch witch. Can usually rent them from rental equipment places.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Ditch Witch.

Thanks Fats!!! That's what I was talking about. Do you know if they sell something like a hand-held version? Maybe I just need to not be lazy... but after three days of tearing out everything, and moving several tons of stone, I'm just being a lazy SOB... I didn't see anything at Home Depot, and with the Social Distancing crap... there was no one around to ask. But maybe I just need to dig that **** by hand...
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trace out your path with earthworms and let Bob do the digging.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh **** ! It's called a trencher... and they have hand-held ones! Awesome! I found it when looking at pictures of Ditch Witches... thanks!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22526 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by williegoat:

So true!!!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I see Bob more as an artist than as a manual laborer.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-22-2020).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good luck with getting any of them to do ditch work or paint...they're notorious drunks.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-22-2020).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont strike water We dont turn them on but all of the yards in our block have irrigation installed in the front yards.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on how deep you want to run the wires, you might try a grass edger.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have 2 you can have and I never ever want to see them again........
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Oh **** ! It's called a trencher... and they have hand-held ones! Awesome! I found it when looking at pictures of Ditch Witches... thanks!

They have hand held ones ? I have never seen one. Link ?

I was going to say look at how a ditch witch works. Looks like a giant chain saw to me. I have not done 12V lighting but the wires/conduit can not be so big that I would rule out using my chain saw with a crap cutting chain.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

They have hand held ones ? I have never seen one. Link ?

I was going to say look at how a ditch witch works. Looks like a giant chain saw to me. I have not done 12V lighting but the wires/conduit can not be so big that I would rule out using my chain saw with a crap cutting chain.

You'd get about 4' before the dirt and sand caused so much wear and stretch in the chain that it just comes off the bar, not to mention ruining the bar and it's end roller sprocket.

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you just looking to cover the low voltage line for the lights? Since they are low voltage the lines don't need to be burred. If you want ot bury them for cosmetic reasons just use lawn edger and tuck the line in by hand after. Or if you want it deeper rent a bed sharper and then tuck the lines in. Trenching for low voltage just seems overkill, unless you are just a glutton for punishment.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys! Yes... it is low-voltage wiring. I'm trying to do it right, I suppose I could just cover it... but I hate to do things half-assed. If I absolutely don't need to bury it, then I suppose I wont. I'm just looking for the right way to do it.

I do have an axe pick too, thanks MJ... the house came with one in the shed behind the house when I bought it! haha...
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A slit trench with a flat blade shovel is all you need to hide it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LV wiring doesn't need to bury deep and most LV light systems don't want that.

Like olejoedad a flat blade shovel and wait until you have rain to soften the ground.

push in fairly straight.
Wiggle handle to open a slit.
move to next spot and repeat.

If ground has a lot of rocks or roots might not work well but many trenchers for this job will have problems too...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/kNqOXul-GOQ

I made one like these to bury 12/2 UF to my flagpole.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy a pushplow, with a little plowpoint.
Or build one.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I have 2 you can have and I never ever want to see them again........

Lived without one when I needed one, now I have a pick and a mattock and will never choose not to have one. The land I am on now, I transplanted 11 smaller trees in a day with a shovel and pruners. Love this place.
Depending on the dirt, a skinny shovel may be perfect. I only like long handle shovels, the others will have you bending over too much too often.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.... I've installed the wiring and lights, looks decent. Still have a lot more work to do in the front, but this is good for now. Pea-gravel gets delivered today, and I have to buy some more plants. The plants will have to fill in some more as well, and I need to trim the trees... but it's looking better. I'll take a picture from the street when I'm done.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock