Started on: 03-15-2020 06:52 PM
Replies: 7 (384 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 03-19-2020 05:39 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I almost let it slip by

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I almost let it slip by

et tu?
Plumb forgot about it...

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Recordings of a live performance often sound like crap. This sounded excellent! Great brass section.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Recordings of a live performance often sound like crap. This sounded excellent! Great brass section.

I only clicked play because you said that, and holy **** ... you are so right. That's amazing!!! It's recording-studio quality!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick has a good ear.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing. Jim Peterik. As soon as the very first notes from the brass section, I knew what was coming. That it was music I'd heard many times before. Not any time recently, but it seemed like it was music so familiar to me that I could have encountered it in some casual way just the "other day." Like driving somewhere with the radio on, not paying any particular attention to the radio, and then that was what the DJ decided to "spin."

And you know this is coming (especially if you're "williegoat") but I wouldn't have known the names "Jim Peterik" or "Ides of March" from the man in the moon. An audio memory that I had, and not so much as one "bit" more of information to associate with it. A perfectly ahistoric (or ahistorical) kind of memory.

So, a hit recording from 1970, and it sounded like it could have been that same original recording of it in this 2014 reprisal of it. A "time machine" of a performance.

The only parallel I can think of would be Amos Rusie (or Nick Maddox, depending on whether there's a demarcation of before or after the year 1900) coming back at the age of 70 to pitch another Major League game, and hurling a no-hitter, reprising their record setting performance as the youngest player (age 20) in Major League history to be credited with pitching a no hit game. (Amos Rusie; 1891. Nick Maddox, 1907.)

As I was saying the other day (or maybe yesterday), I'm not unlike a newly arrived visitor from another planet. It seems like I could have been 50 light years distant, just yesterday, when the radio signals from Earth that were one of the broadcasts of the original 1970 recording were picked up by my receiver. Well, not yesterday. Say, a week ago. Then I made my way to Earth in superluminal fashion, using a wormhole or some variant of the Alcubierre mechanism.

Just one of my word "salads", but what if it were true? I think I'm only speculating about it here in a fictional way, but the purely terrestrial or Earth-bound life that I think of as my total memory and consciousness... just an implant? Absence of evidence...

Or how about Donald Rumsfeld becoming the youngest-ever U.S. Secretary of Defense in 1975, at age 43, and coming back, under a different President, as the second oldest, at age 69..? Are those Jim Peterik-like numbers? Quasi Jim Peterik? Jim Peterik-esque?

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-19-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

So, a hit recording from 1970, and it sounded like it could have been that same original recording of it in this 2014 reprisal of it. A "time machine" of a performance.

Actually, that arrangement deviates somewhat from the original recording. However, just as with social media during the 2016 election cycle, the Ruskies are quite adept at precisely emulating a bunch of good ol' boys:

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-19-2020).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't that used to be Harvey Weinstein's theme song?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock