Started on: 03-14-2020 06:48 PM
Replies: 43 (991 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 05-07-2020 08:45 AM
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This will pass.

What then?

One man's opinion.

https://www.breitbart.com/e...-economic-emergency/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

This will pass.

What then?

One man's opinion.

https://www.breitbart.com/e...-economic-emergency/

It might be good if the author could make up his mind.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-14-2020).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured that this thread would take off. Guess I was wrong, so I'll bump this and see where it goes.
I am more interested in what comes after than the panic and the immediate response.

So, looking down the road, a few weeks or months...

One interest is in how the average American citizen is going to feel about our dependency on offshore based supply chains.......
Will we notice?
Will we change our buying decisions?
Will we boycott Chinese made products?
Will this piss of the American consumer?

I would think others here may also have some post-apocolyptic questions or theories to share.
Jump right in.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I figured that this thread would take off. Guess I was wrong, so I'll bump this and see where it goes.
I am more interested in what comes after than the panic and the immediate response.

I think it's too soon for much of a discussion about "after". We've barely seen the start. We have no real idea yet how bad this is going to get.

williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I think it's too soon for much of a discussion about "after". We've barely seen the start. We have no real idea yet how bad this is going to get.

I agree. So much will depend on how quickly society and the economy recover. The outcome of the US election will hinge on our resilience. If we don't bounce back quickly enough, and high enough; the left will seize power, then all bets are off. We will be in for a long downward spiral. Government will take control of all aspects of our lives because they will have shown that we are not capable of taking care of ourselves.

This is the ultimate "crisis" as defined by Rahm Emanuel. Government will ration everything from health care to toilet paper because they will argue that the free market has failed.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-17-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19450 posts
Member since Mar 2009
There will be no Kentucky Derby this spring, no Isle of Man TT. Will we be able to see how the new Corvette stacks up against Europe's best at Le Mans in June? Will Americans gather together on July 4th to watch fireworks?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-17-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This will knock us back a bit, maybe stagger us some. But we will recover as we always have.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see this as a big experiment in where things may be heading. People actively telecommuting, working from home, school children taking classes via the internet, even more ordering online, restaurants only able to do take out and delivery, basements dwellers uniting under the flag of normalcy knowing that they never have to leave their parents basement. An example 388 thousand people watched a "simulation" race of the canceled Australian Grand Prix, we are moving towards a complete "social isolation" where no one ever needs to leave their domicile.

I hope I am wrong with this and things will return to normal.

dan
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2020 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sheet, Dan. That's exactly what I've been trying to do for 15 years ! You call it social isolation, I call it peace-and-quiet.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2020 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It dawned on me reading a few articles this morning that all of these new restrictions being put in place are likely to become the "new normal"

Governments have a very nasty habit of imposing emergency measures, dragging them out for a while once a crisis is over then leaving them in place permanently. We are still dealing with the restrictions from 9-11 in many ways. It's become just the way things are.

This crisis will be no different.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this portends a major shift. Already with the election of Donald Trump, America was moving away from globalization and trying to bring manufacturing back to American shores. I think this virus and its economic devastation will make that more prevalent. Many of the needs, both medical and manufacturing are now supplied by China and others across the globe. It is reasonable to decide to bring that back home to US shores.

Another thing that might change is the "Just in Time" inventory system. It worked fine as long as there were no glitches in the supply chain. But, this is/was a major glitch and it is having a huge impact. So the reasonable companies might think to change this to maybe a hybrid of the old ideas of keeping inventory in stock and the Just In Time ideology.

Energy prices are taking a huge hit right now. I just saw gas in my little area of Michigan for as cheap as $1.64/gallon. This is almost 1/2 price from where it was a month ago. The initial drop was due to China's drop in use, which dropped global use by as much as 20%. This foreshadowed a bigger drop in energy use across the globe as countries across the globe start to impose quarantines and self isolation. Many of the new sources of energy in the US are higher cost to get out of the ground. So I think many of these will shut down to try to match demand. Hopefully, these more expensive sources will be able to come back on line when needed. In the mean time congress and the President are trying to find a way to keep everyone solvent. Maybe that will work and maybe it won't.

There may be some political upheavals too. Maybe Iran, North Korea, China and a few others will end up going the way of the dodo bird.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with everything except this:

Originally posted by MadMark:

Energy prices are taking a huge hit right now. I just saw gas in my little area of Michigan for as cheap as $1.64/gallon. This is almost 1/2 price from where it was a month ago. The initial drop was due to China's drop in use, which dropped global use by as much as 20%. This foreshadowed a bigger drop in energy use across the globe as countries across the globe start to impose quarantines and self isolation. Many of the new sources of energy in the US are higher cost to get out of the ground. So I think many of these will shut down to try to match demand. Hopefully, these more expensive sources will be able to come back on line when needed.

The energy cost drop happened when Saudi and Russia got into a disagreement about how much to "pump". Russia wanted to increase production while Saudi wanted to cut production, as they have been doing in the past to keep a floor under global crude prices. Russia, upset that they had lost ground (market share) to US shale oil is focused on flooding the global market, thus driving up supply and price/bbl down, which of course also drives down gasoline prices at the pump. Russia is determined to drive shale oil producers out of business, or to make shale oil so expensive in comparison to OPEC oil that it isn't marketable.

https://oilprice.com/Energy...-Oil-Production.html

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I agree with everything except this:

The energy cost drop happened when Saudi and Russia got into a disagreement about how much to "pump". Russia wanted to increase production while Saudi wanted to cut production, as they have been doing in the past to keep a floor under global crude prices. Russia, upset that they had lost ground (market share) to US shale oil is focused on flooding the global market, thus driving up supply and price/bbl down, which of course also drives down gasoline prices at the pump. Russia is determined to drive shale oil producers out of business, or to make shale oil so expensive in comparison to OPEC oil that it isn't marketable.

https://oilprice.com/Energy...-Oil-Production.html

That is a part of it. But, the drop in use of energy by China preceded Russia & Saudi's little war. They would not have even started that except for China's decrease in use. It gave both of them the opportunity to try this little game.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Energy prices are taking a huge hit right now. I just saw gas in my little area of Michigan for as cheap as $1.64/gallon. This is almost 1/2 price from where it was a month ago.

Keeping in mind that Vancouver BC usually has the most expensive gasoline prices in all of North America, this little tiff between Russia and Saudi Arabia has resulted in huge (temporary) savings. Great time to go on a driving trip and see all the sights! Oh wait... ...on second thought, that's probably not such a great idea. Damn.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keeping in mind that Vancouver BC usually has the most expensive gasoline prices in all of North America, this little tiff between Russia and Saudi Arabia has resulted in huge (temporary) savings. Great time to go on a driving trip and see all the sights! Oh wait... ...on second thought, that's probably not such a great idea. Damn.

Dammed if you do. And dammed if you don't. No winners here.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No winners here.

Yep... gas is now cheap, but there's no place to go.

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is an article on the price of oil both here in the US and the world markets.

https://www.newsmax.com/fin...020/03/18/id/958821/
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Yep... gas is now cheap, but there's no place to go.

There is always places to go here in Michigan. As long as they don't put us under Martial Law we can still move around. Here we can take day trips to just about anywhere. Probably won't find a motel/hotel or a restaurant. But, we could just go for a drive. Just don't stop and gather. Might have to do that within a week. I am getting a bit antsy already and it has only been a week or so of restrictions.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

Possible cure go read https://threadreaderapp.com...314674358505473.html

What he described is not a "cure".

It's a course of treatment.

Unless the patients have developed the specific antibodies in the bloodstream to fend off this virus, either by surviving the infection or by vaccination, they can be re-infected.

Additionally, azithromycin is an antibiotic that it used for bacterial infections. It has never been demonstrated to be useful for VIRAL infections.

hydroxychloroquine (HCL) or hydroxychloroquine sulfate is marketed under the trade names Plaquenil, and Quineprox.

It is principally prescribed for Malaria.

Malaria is microbial parasitic infection, not a virus.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-18-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guesstimation is that the unemployment and poverty caused by the various closures and distancing measures is going to be way worse than direct deaths from the virus.

Poverty causes deaths too... no money -> eat junk -> get diabetes -> die an untimely death.

I'm thinking it may be less harmful to humanity to allow uncontrolled spread of SARS-CoV-2 and continue business as usual.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 03-18-2020).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes it is a treatment but it looks like it works so i hope more try it to confirm its effectiveness in fighting it
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18039 posts
Member since May 2004
It will be really interesting to see China's reaction if Trump backcharges China for our economic costs due to this flu.
"Sorry Xi, we just erased our debt to you. Whatcha gonna do about it?"
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-19-2020 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It will be really interesting to see China's reaction if Trump backcharges China for our economic costs due to this flu.
"Sorry Xi, we just erased our debt to you. Whatcha gonna do about it?"

Launch the nukes and start WW3.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

hydroxychloroquine (HCL) or hydroxychloroquine sulfate is marketed under the trade names Plaquenil, and Quineprox.

It is principally prescribed for Malaria.

Originally being an anti-malaria drug, it's now mostly prescribed for treatment of auto-immune diseases. I take this drug too (due to my SLE). Or actually I stopped taking this drug a few months ago since long-term use (longer than a year) can cause eye damage. And I had been taking it for almost 10 years (and am indeed experiencing eyesight problems). But perhaps this would be a good time to start taking it again (since I still have a few months worth of pills left).
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Originally being an anti-malaria drug, it's now mostly prescribed for treatment of auto-immune diseases. I take this drug too (due to my SLE). Or actually I stopped taking this drug a few months ago since long-term use (longer than a year) can cause eye damage. And I had been taking it for almost 10 years (and am indeed experiencing eyesight problems). But perhaps this would be a good time to start taking it again (since I still have a few months worth of pills left).

Be careful Cliff. I would imagine you immune system is compromised if you have SLE.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010
This is the last thing I expected to see. What will be the aftermath of this?

Ilhan Omer praises President Trump's Response to Covid-19

https://www.foxnews.com/pol...coronavirus-pandemic
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

It stands to reason that you are particularly at risk so you should take serious precautions.

Resuming taking that medication might not be in your best interests but you should CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.

(Here in the U.S. corticosteroids are generally more prescribed for Lupus symptoms)

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-19-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are also testing Losartan to see if it has an effect on the virus.

Researchers believe losartan, which is used to treat hypertension and protect kidneys from damage due to diabetes, may be able to block an enzyme used by COVID-19 to bind to cells.

https://www.foxnews.com/hea...generic-drugs-tested

There were a lot of recalls for Losartan last year due to contamination.
I was on Losartan for a few months after my heart implant till the cardio girls put me on something else...still got some in my desk.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been trying not to think bleakly. But hey.

Hopefully,
The virus does pass, doesn't come back.
You can't recatch it very soon...
There is enough older voter base remaining to keep conservatism competitive.

What will Forced quarantine look like?

As I mentioned in another thread, how will we even vote if this is still in full swing in nov?

Food chain supply and distribution
Supply chains for everything else.

Utilities

Employment

Socialism, Communism

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2020 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time to bump this back from the obscurity of the third page....
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2020 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There is always places to go here in Michigan. As long as they don't put us under Martial Law we can still move around. Here we can take day trips to just about anywhere. Probably won't find a motel/hotel or a restaurant. But, we could just go for a drive. Just don't stop and gather. Might have to do that within a week. I am getting a bit antsy already and it has only been a week or so of restrictions.

How's this working for you?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2020 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I go anywhere in this state I want to.....not that much is open....
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2020 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I have been trying not to think bleakly. But hey.

Hopefully,
The virus does pass, doesn't come back.
You can't recatch it very soon...
There is enough older voter base remaining to keep conservatism competitive.

What will Forced quarantine look like?

As I mentioned in another thread, how will we even vote if this is still in full swing in nov?

Food chain supply and distribution
Supply chains for everything else.

Utilities

Employment

Socialism, Communism

Farmers and produce processors are having a hard time finding outlets for their produce in and from South Texas, Southern Calif and much of Florida because of the restaurants being shut down. Food banks are full or don't have a way to keep fresh produce for more than a day or 2. Farmers are going to be plowing a lot of their now ready produce under. The piles in the background are other produce that has no market right now. People are buuying LOTS of longshelf life food, but much less perishable food like produce.

The same for milk. Schools are shut down and they were a major 'market' for milk.

https://www.theguardian.com...re-food-supply-waste

this too, will pass.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-16-2020).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2020 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock