Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Chewed, then brewed. A brief but captivating history of coffee and espresso.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Chewed, then brewed. A brief but captivating history of coffee and espresso. by rinselberg
Started on: 03-08-2020 03:59 PM
Replies: 10 (241 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 03-10-2020 08:11 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2020 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The beverage we know as coffee has a somewhat mysterious origin, but historians know that first the leaves and the coffee fruit were consumed in and around the area now known as Ethiopia, possibly for hundreds of years, before anybody thought to clean and roast the seeds, pulverize them, and mix them with hot water. At some point in the 15th century, spice traders from the Arabian Peninsula, including the area now recognized as Yemen, encountered coffee plants while traveling through Ethiopia in search of trade, spices, and slaves.

A brief history of the world's second most traded commodity--second, after petroleum--in just 17 crisply composed paragraphs, from the first known origins in Africa, to Starbucks and Howard Schultz.

You'd probably be crazy not to read it.

Your Espresso Addiction Stems from an Ancient Ceremony
Drink deep from the fascinating history of espresso.

Erin Meister for Chowhound(.com); March 8, 2020.
https://www.chowhound.com/f...history-of-espresso/

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-08-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2020 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Your Espresso Addiction Stems from an Ancient Ceremony

"Who’d have thunk that these little grassy-smelling seeds could transform into something so miraculous with a little heat, elbow grease, and water?"

A lot of people have never even seen a green coffee bean. I was a coffee roasterman in a factory setting for several years, and my appreciation of the changes that occur to coffee beans during the roasting process never diminished. It definitely is "miraculous" how their smell and flavor changes so dramatically upon being roasted.
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2020 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have enough coffee in me for all that reading.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2020 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good article, thanks. I'm surprised that rinselberg didn't point out the malapropism even though it is highlighted in red.

Oh, and you know I had to have a song, and some pretty girls:

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2020 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No pretty girls... but nevertheless, this isn't bad!

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2020 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mostly have traditional brewed coffee, black and unsweetened. Espresso at times. The more contrived permutations, i.e., cappuccinos and lattes, hardly ever. I have always had an aversion to milk. Straight up and unflavored, my reaction to milk was to gag violently and spit it out, and I doubt that's changed since the last time I did that, many years ago. So that is likely part of the reason for my preferences.

I saw where there's been an effort to market a countertop machine, not much larger than a typical home-sized drip brewer with a 10-cup carafe, that starts with green coffee beans, roasts the beans using a microwave process, and then grinds and brews. Called the "Berlin." But I've seen negative reviews. I don't think I would have been ready to part with the $1000 or so to have one, even if the reviews had been more reassuring.

I feel reassured that my eye for a "quality" read among the endless expanse of Internet-delivered miscellany has not failed in this case.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2020 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My albatross is a single-cup drip maker. It takes regular grinds instead of pods, but it's still a fresh cup every time.

I go through 2 1/2-3 big cans of Folgers a month in that thing. Hell, I opened a can on the 29th and it's half done already. I'll probably have a complete breakdown when that machine dies.

And yup, straight up. I've never felt the need to ruin good coffee with cream and sugar.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 03-08-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2020 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I saw where there's been an effort to market a countertop machine, not much larger than a typical home-sized drip brewer with a 10-cup carafe, that starts with green coffee beans, roasts the beans using a microwave process, and then grinds and brews. Called the "Berlin". But I've seen negative reviews. I don't think I would have been ready to part with the $1000 or so to have one, even if the reviews had been more reassuring.

Wow, I wouldn't even know where to begin with all the potential pitfalls and problems with that unit... even disregarding the $1000 price tag!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-08-2020).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2020 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

A lot of people have never even seen a green coffee bean. I was a coffee rastaman in a factory setting for several years, and my appreciation of the changes that occur to coffee beans during the roasting process never diminished. It definitely is "miraculous" how their smell and flavor changes so dramatically upon being roasted.

malapropism

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-09-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2020 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by that sneaky guy, maryjane:

malapropism

lol

A coffee rastaman would be drinking (or maybe smoking) the stuff, but not roasting it.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-09-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2020 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two different songs with the same tittle. Two different styles of Blues. Mississippi John Hurt was so smooth and Lightnin' Hopkins was so gritty.

This is the blues. Neither song is about coffee.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock