Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Swarming locusts reach Congo from other East African countries and boy are they BIG.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Swarming locusts reach Congo from other East African countries and boy are they BIG. by rinselberg
Started on: 02-25-2020 10:50 PM
Replies: 12 (340 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 02-28-2020 01:03 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2020 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

"East Africa's huge locust outbreak spreads to Congo"
NBC News (Associated Press); February 25, 2020.
https://www.nbcnews.com/sci...reads-congo-n1142826
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2020 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-26-2020).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2020 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I CAUGHT him!!!

(you'll have to look in my new thread to find out tho...)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2020 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You caught the Locust King ???
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-26-2020 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tie a string to it's leg and go kite flying.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2020 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm totally ignorant of entomology, so I freely admit I don't know the difference between a huge grasshopper, and a locust. But when I was out in the middle of the jungle of Honduras a few years ago, there was a gigantic grasshopper / locust that was easily the size of a softball... really, bigger... probably like one of those small basketballs that kids play with. It had this gigantic spikes running all up and down it's huge hind legs. I used an out house by an old dirt road (I basically was pissing in a ditch) and this grasshopper thing was hanging out on one of the urinal trough, and I had to piss while it sat there and looked at me. I had to pass in front of it in order to get to the rest of the troughs, and it just started at me intently... waiting to attack as I was relieving myself. The thing was f**king huge... I mean, gigantic.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2020 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

...this grasshopper thing was hanging out on one of the urinal trough, and I had to piss while it sat there and looked at me.

Good opportunity for target practice.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-26-2020 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

For which one?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hell no... I was far more scared of it than it was of me.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I'm totally ignorant of entomology, so I freely admit I don't know the difference between a huge grasshopper, and a locust. .

The 'difference' is not in appearance or biological manifestations.

There is no specific locust species but there are grasshopper species.
The only difference between a grasshopper and a locust is behavior. Grasshoppers are generally independent while locust are gregarious.
It is accurate to state "All locusts are grasshoppers but not all grasshoppers are locust.".

What Are Grasshoppers?
Grasshoppers are ground-dwelling insects which go through a phase of incomplete metamorphosis before developing into the adult stage. As grasshoppers mostly live on the ground, they have very powerful hind legs which are adapted for escape in case they are threatened. Grasshoppers are closely similar to locusts though grasshoppers can only fly for shorter distances. Grasshoppers mostly exist within a solitary phase with little to no threat to crops. Within the solitary phase, grasshoppers are disorganized, each leading its way of life. However, some grasshopper species develop gregarious behavior under suitable conditions becoming locusts.

What Are Locusts?
Locusts are grasshoppers which develop gregarious characteristics in suitable environmental conditions forming an organized group. Such conditions are particularly driven by a period of dense vegetative growth after a dry spell. Drought drives locusts to crowd in small areas where there is vegetation. Locusts then abandon their solitary phase as grasshoppers and reproduce at dramatically high rates forming bands of nymphs and swarms as adults. The transition from the solitary phase is triggered by the secretion of the hormone serotonin which has been linked to boosting moods in humans. In their swarms, locusts move in a single direction making stopovers on any green area they notice. This movement causes extensive damage to crops. Locusts are known to cover long distances in short periods leaving behind a trail of damage.

"If we cannot control the inheritance within us, this will be their second dead planet."

Quatermass
5,000,000 years to....

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-27-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, a swarm of grasshoppers are called locusts?

I have been confused about that since I was a small child in Sunday school.

When bugs go bad.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-27-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Last August, the secretive agency [DARPA] posted a request for information on Twitter that included an ask for an underground lair. In January, a post to the Federal Business Opportunities website sought concepts that could utilize insect brains to control robots.

just a "snippet"

"DARPA to develop hypersonic 'Glide Breaker' that would knock missile threats out of the sky"
Christopher Carbone for Fox News; February 26, 2020.
https://www.foxnews.com/tec...e-threats-out-of-sky
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2020 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock