A tune you may not have heard by 2.5
Started on: 02-25-2020 05:07 PM
Replies: 273 (4143 views)
Last post by: Valkrie9 on 03-27-2024 09:56 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2020 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whats a tune you like that you think we may not have heard?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-25-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2020 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-15-2020 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(Yeh, its that kind of day)
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Buckethead is outstanding!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is one you probably haven't heard. I like this band.
I have posted some of their stuff before. Mongolian heavy metal throat singers who play traditional Mongolian instruments.

edit: Well, the video I originally posted seems to have disappeared, so here is an all acoustic, studio cut.

The other video was very cool. I will see if I can find it again.

Here it is again, but apparently it keeps being pulled down. There is a brief discussion in the comments.

Here is a screen grab in case it gets pulled again, so you can see what you are missing:

No Hollywood stuff here, these guys are for real.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-16-2020).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 09-16-2020).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

(Yeh, its that kind of day)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by maryjane:

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I'm a lumberjack now baby
But I ain't jacked my lumber baby
Since my chain saw you.

Truly inspired lyrics!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Truly inspired lyrics!

Its really all about the saw sound, ode to MJ and his hate of trees

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-16-2020).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2020 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2021 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kinda turned into a metal guitar thread. I guess alot of mine do. lol
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2021 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.youtube.com/watc...g6W3sM&start_radio=1
It's a style--jazzy pop, I guess--that I suspect is not widely favored by the Pennock's demographic.

Except for williegoat. I'm sure it's familiar to him. Every last Gregorian Chant is probably familiar to him!

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-21-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2021 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

http://www.youtube.com/watc...g6W3sM&start_radio=1
It's a style--jazzy pop, I guess--that I suspect is not widely favored by the Pennock's demographic.

Except for williegoat. I'm sure it's familiar to him. Every last Gregorian Chant is probably familiar to him!

Sergio Mendes was big in the '60s, when the Bossa was still Nova.

One you may have heard, introduced by Cat Woman.

And one you probably haven't, which hints at the roots of what we call the "Latin rhythm".

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2021 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right on both counts. The first one, Yes. The second, No. That one is (was) too authentic for my highly commercialized, U.S. mass music market "ears" to have ever come across before.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2021 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Right on both counts. The first one, Yes. The second, No. That one is (was) too authentic for my highly commercialized, U.S. mass music market "ears" to have ever come across before.

If you follow the breadcrumbs backwards, you end up in a very interesting place.
Music always has a cultural story to tell, if you listen carefully. Music is anthropology.

In this case, the story has some relevance to current events, cultural upheaval in the U.S.A.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-21-2021).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

|
The Skins -- Ocean
|
Surf
Recently heard.
Scotty in Virginia tuned me in.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

|
The Skins -- Ocean
|
Surf
Recently heard.
Scotty in Virginia tuned me in.

Damn, boy! You may have just redeemed yoself.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^ A tune I had not heard before, which is weird, thot I had found them all. Groovin Bass.
Deborah Dyer, wow !
A few minutes later I'm thinking how this tune would rock as a soundtrack for an action flick, the finale is awesome.
THE SKINS - Killer
the hook
!
On another wavelength, strings and voices.

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 12-31-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

^^ A tune I had not heard before, which is weird, thot I had found them all. Groovin Bass.
Deborah Dyer, wow !
A few minutes later I'm thinking how this tune would rock as a soundtrack for an action flick, the finale is awesome.

The Skins has nothing to do with Deborah Dyer. The girl with the pipes is Bayli Mckeithan. The bass and drummer are her sister and brother.

Are you paying attention? Here is a test: can you name all of the instruments in the video you posted above?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My favorite band from my teens on was Queen- mainly their first 5 albums. I was really into the guitarist (Brian May- very under-rated)

Recently, with the BoRhap movie coming out, I wrote a list of songs of theirs that don't sound like Queen....Drowse is one of the best- written and lead sung by the drummer, Roger Taylor;

I don't have a clue how to embed a vid so here's a link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcXxYWEbBEE
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YouTube; 4 minutes 36 seconds.
https://youtu.be/xW_57yE2aac

This checks all the boxes for late 1950s to early 1960s club-style jazz. It's coming up on midnight and the oxygen in the dimly lit room is competing with the smoke from cigarettes and joints, layered on the olfactory excitations from the volatile compounds of gin and other spirits.

"Lotus Blossom", from the Quiet Kenny album from New Jazz Records. Recorded in 1959. The Kenny Dorham Quartet with Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Tommy Flanagan (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), and Art Taylor (drums).

A safe bet for "a tune you may not have heard", judging by most of the other "entries" in this thread.

One that came up on the Comcast jazz channel. I took a particular liking to it. Other than that, I wouldn't know Kenny Dorham from Adam, as the saying goes. Maybe they were the Durhams until someone misspelled their name and the misspelling stuck?

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-26-2021).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Geez.
Must have been slightly buzzed when I c+p'd that ref.
Had to look it up, to sort it for reality.
|

sarajamus
3 years ago
I hear the power of Skin's voice (from Skunk Anansie), in this singer!
Good stuff!
Kathy Sheppard
1 year ago
As the music teacher of three of these kids (including the singer), your comment is extremely meaningful to me.
Skin (Deborah Dyer) is my favorite female vocalist of all time! <<- - - - - -
Marxista Grouchista
10 months ago
I was having Skunk Anansies vibes too , she is soooo good
sarajamus
10 months ago
@Kathy Sheppard
You’ve done a great job.
Keep doing the good work!
😎
Kathy Sheppard
10 months ago
@sarajamus <3
end quote

Yeah,
so, though my ref was mistaken, I believe she can sing awesomely, they should so come to Toronto for a few sets, looking up a venue now.
Runaway ( LightBox Sessions )
Tunage I like, spent hours tonite listenin to The Skins.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

YouTube; 4 minutes 36 seconds.
https://youtu.be/xW_57yE2aac

This checks all the boxes for late 1950s to early 1960s club-style jazz. It's coming up on midnight and the oxygen in the dimly lit room is competing with the smoke from cigarettes and joints, layered on the olfactory excitations from the volatile compounds of gin and other spirits.

"Lotus Blossom", from the Quiet Kenny album from New Jazz Records. Recorded in 1959. The Kenny Dorham Quartet with Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Tommy Flanagan (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), and Art Taylor (drums).

A safe bet for "a tune you may not have heard", judging by most of the other "entries" in this thread.

One that came up on the Comcast jazz channel. I took a particular liking to it. Other than that, I wouldn't know Kenny Dorham from Adam, as the saying goes. Maybe they were the Durhams until someone misspelled their name and the misspelling stuck?

That's real good tunage, thank you.
Some of the very best tune from The Jazz Messengers, and yes, it's been many years, since the '60s.
Pretty sure my neighbor played this in those years, how that opening bar sets it up, unforgettable, distinct virtuosity.

Sets the mood for the day.
This '94 interview may interest you.
Art Taylor Jazz

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 12-27-2021).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Originally posted by cvxjet:
My favorite band from my teens on was Queen- mainly their first 5 albums. I was really into the guitarist (Brian May- very under-rated)
Recently, with the BoRhap movie coming out, I wrote a list of songs of theirs that don't sound like Queen....Drowse is one of the best- written and lead sung by the drummer, Roger Taylor;
I don't have a clue how to embed a vid so here's a link;

Then you may like this art, found it on this old drive, from '18.
I like a lot of her work, here's another two.
Radio City Music Hall -10/7/16

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 12-27-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Morgan James is one of the greatest female voices of all time.

The first time I heard her come in at 1:36 in this PMJ video back in 2015, I was blown away. I was an instant fan.

"Live from Dizzy's" is a great album, start to finish. Rinselberg might even like it.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-27-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19334 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Here is a tune I know you haven't heard. A new video by Otta Orchestra.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks- That was spectacular; Can you imagine her and Mercury getting together to sing a duet?

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
Here is a tune I know you haven't heard. A new video by Otta Orchestra.

Wow !
Have to check out their other works, so different, I like it.

PFF
System Bot
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Somehow, this tune from Haley resonates with me, shows her versatility and range, looks good, sounds good, mmmn good.
First heard this in '18, I've been hooked since, mmmn good.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

There is more Morgan, she sings Queen too !
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Welcome To The Jungle - Daniela Andrade
Don IsMyName
2 months ago
Ok,
one order of screaming and bleeding coming right up…
And to drink with that, may I interest you in a nice tall glass, of icy cold tears and despair ?

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 12-28-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A new song from BGKO:

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dark Horse
'Burn' at The Hamilton, Live, Moving.
Organizing,
Origami,
Organism.
Yeah, Organism !
!
Massimo O'Kissed
4 years ago
Dayum!
Ashley moves like liquid

Jeff A.
4 years ago
doesn't get much better than this
^
7up.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2021 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2021 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

!
The Ogre's Godzirra !
!
Rammstein Ohne Dich
!

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 12-22-2022).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2021 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shaye, Craig and Barnabus at their best:

and the original, from 1929:

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay