Started on: 02-13-2020 07:38 AM
Replies: 10 (243 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 02-14-2020 11:27 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several of us in Hattiesburg are hosting a Motorcycle event in April.

There are currently folks riding in for this event from 15 different states. Although I do currently live in Southern Mississippi and have lived in the South previously, I'm originally, a Mid-Westerner. We all grew up with different experiences and cultures. That also included the foods that were inclusive in our daily diets and some items that were considered special.

Now, don't go thinking I'm totally inexperienced in the different culture and food categories, I've lived and been assigned in many places on this rock we call home. I've tried Kaegogi in S. Korea, monkey brains in Central American, Gator in FL, snake in several different locales, bear up north, several different versions of wildlife at Game Feeds and many other regional delicacies. BUT, I've had a request to provide Crawfish for one of our meals.

Yeah, I know (and have known for years) people eat them but, quite honestly, I'm not about to eat what I grew up using for fish bait.

Regardless, this caused me to wonder about other regional specific dishes. I'm sure there are other dishes that I wouldn't try but curious as to what interesting/unique dishes I'm missing.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-13-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chicken fried bacon comes to mind for my area....actually chicken fried anything, except chicken..

OTOH, I can tell you, that providing crawfish for a relatively large group is not going to be inexpensive. Even with the expected big harvest this year and a drop in prices, it's about $2.40/lb live right now in East Texas and South La. Plan on 3-5 lbs per person, and if it's a bunch of big burly biker type mudbg eaters, go with the high side. Don't forget the potatoes and corn and onions. Plenty of crab/crawfish seasoning and a LOT of Tony Chacheres. (I'm talking lbs of seasoning, not little packages)
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2020 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You just know I am going to tell you to go clog your arteries with Poutine and real cheese curds, none of that block stuff.

About the only real regional one here is a meal of Lake Erie perch. Get it for about 10 bucks in any port town with fish right off the boats.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 02-13-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my favorite regional dishes goes by several names, can have various compositions and is available in any seaside town in Mexico. Coctel Mariscos, Coctel Campechana or Ceviche is essentially raw seafood marinated in a mixture of lime, lemon and tomato juice along with chilis, onions, ginger, cilantro, etc. It can be made with any one of, or any combination of fish and shellfish. My favorite always includes shrimp, abalone and octopus.

Years ago, I stumbled on an absolutely authentic recipe in the "Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook". It is always accompanied by a bottle of hot sauce, my personal favorite is Louisiana Brand; and can be served with tostadas or tortilla chips, but in Mexico it is usually server with saltine crackers.

Just looking at a picture makes my mouth water.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19468 posts
Member since Mar 2009
A few more thoughts:

Crawdads really are just tiny lobsters. If you like lobster, you will love crawdads.

My grandmother was from Booneville, MS and the things I miss most from her cooking are Collard Greens, Blackeyed peas with big chunks of salt pork, boiled peanuts and what I call real cornbread. What most people think of as cornbread is almost like cake, to me. Of course I can fix the collards and blackeyed peas, but I can't get the peanuts and I don't know how she made the cornbread. I have never found anything like it.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

OTOH, I can tell you, that providing crawfish for a relatively large group is not going to be inexpensive. Even with the expected big harvest this year and a drop in prices, it's about $2.40/lb live right now in East Texas and South La. Plan on 3-5 lbs per person, and if it's a bunch of big burly biker type mudbg eaters, go with the high side. Don't forget the potatoes and corn and onions. Plenty of crab/crawfish seasoning and a LOT of Tony Chacheres. (I'm talking lbs of seasoning, not little packages)

Noted.

Well, unlike this forum, my Valkyrie forum offers the capability to conduct surveys/polls so, I've asked what the group wants. We're already providing smoked and BBQ'd pork with several sides. A couple of the gents coming asked about the crawfish so, I responded that if enough folks wanted it, I'd go in for a $100.00 of it. We'll get what we get. Reference the seasoning and cooking, I've never done this so, I'm leaving that up to my daughter's S. O. He's a local gent and already has all the necessary equipment and experience. He needs to do this right, he's already got one strike against him. He rides a vibrator (HD).

BTW, Chicken Fried anything is great as far as I'm concerned (except if it's chicken). I don't eat fowl. Chicken Fried Rattle Snake was actually pretty good.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-13-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

A few more thoughts:

Crawdads really are just tiny lobsters. If you like lobster, you will love crawdads.

My grandmother was from Booneville, MS and the things I miss most from her cooking are Collard Greens, Blackeyed peas with big chunks of salt pork, boiled peanuts and what I call real cornbread. What most people think of as cornbread is almost like cake, to me. Of course I can fix the collards and blackeyed peas, but I can't get the peanuts and I don't know how she made the cornbread. I have never found anything like it.

Probably hotwater cornbread. you almost have to use lard to make it right.

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ask not what America is eating. Ask what's eating America.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-14-2020).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

One of my favorite regional dishes goes by several names, can have various compositions and is available in any seaside town in Mexico. Coctel Mariscos, Coctel Campechana or Ceviche is essentially raw seafood marinated in a mixture of lime, lemon and tomato juice along with chilis, onions, ginger, cilantro, etc. It can be made with any one of, or any combination of fish and shellfish. My favorite always includes shrimp, abalone and octopus.

Years ago, I stumbled on an absolutely authentic recipe in the "Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook". It is always accompanied by a bottle of hot sauce, my personal favorite is Louisiana Brand; and can be served with tostadas or tortilla chips, but in Mexico it is usually server with saltine crackers.

Just looking at a picture makes my mouth water.

I tried this years ago on a business trip to Monterrey, Mexico, at a restaurant called Los Arbolitos, in a high-end restaurant and shopping area (because Monterrey). I took one bite and nearly threw up. Seeing it and similar dishes makes me physically ill.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I tried this years ago on a business trip to Monterrey, Mexico, at a restaurant called Los Arbolitos, in a high-end restaurant and shopping area (because Monterrey). I took one bite and nearly threw up. Seeing it and similar dishes makes me physically ill.

Hmm, liver does the same thing to me. Doesn't matter how it's prepared. The smell makes me nauseous.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Taiwan and Thailand, they eat a lot of octopus and squid. (probably Japan too) The squid is usually dried and or smoked and it's THE snack of choice in movie theaters instead of popcorn. It's mostly the tentacles and the stiff membrane from the body was removed before packaging. Comes either shredded, chopped or whole. Very popular as a snack everywhere.
It wasn't terrible, tho salty as heck and still had that 'bait' odor/taste to it.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-14-2020).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock