Started on: 02-11-2020 08:09 PM
Replies: 25 (378 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 02-14-2020 10:01 PM
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Chrome is telling me that they are no longer supporting Flash even though there is support until the end of the year, and I have to go into settings each time I need to play a video with Flash...

But there are still a lot of things using Flash apparently; pages that I use/need for home security for instance. (I'm thinking a lot of Chineseum websites are still using it.)

Lately, I've been to several pages that I couldn't do anything on until I went to settings and enabled Flash... And Chrome shuts it back off automatically as soon as I leave the page.

in the interests of online safety, it is time to disable Adobe Flash once and for all. Trust me, it won’t affect your web browsing in the slightest.

I'm wondering what happens to all those old Flash games we used to love so much.

Anyway, what are the options for people that still use it because of crappy websites they frequent?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Switch to Opera. Same interface, basically the same software but you can enable Flash permanently. I never have any issues playing Flash video or games.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm wondering what happens to all those old Flash games we used to love so much.

I don't play any of those (or any other) computer games but I read thru this a couple of days ago:

https://www.wired.com/story...ervation-flashpoint/
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

So Chrome is telling me that they are no longer supporting Flash even though there is support until the end of the year, and I have to go into settings each time I need to play a video with Flash...

But there are still a lot of things using Flash apparently; pages that I use/need for home security for instance. (I'm thinking a lot of Chineseum websites are still using it.)

Lately, I've been to several pages that I couldn't do anything on until I went to settings and enabled Flash... And Chrome shuts it back off automatically as soon as I leave the page.

Anyway, what are the options for people that still use it because of crappy websites they frequent?

Google has been making a lot of changes arbitrarily. They are totally within their right to do this as a private company, but these are things they never would have tried even 5 years ago. Android is the most used OS in the world... so they can just do what they want and everyone falls in line.

Personally, I'd recommend Mozilla Firefox. It's the only one that doesn't store *at all* any of your information, nor does it do any tracking, or ANYTHING AT ALL when you use it in Incognito / Private mode, which is how I use it all the time.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many sites Still use Flash including NOA radar and other weather data pages.
PFF and many other crap clock is a Flash program.
FF by default won't run Flash until you approve it and been so for several years now. If finds older versions also changes warning to say need to update flash.

Brave and most other "independent" browsers and now Edge are use Chrome base code and Google is doing what MS did w/ IE that cause antitrust cases around the world.
As is like old sites built for IE many sites don't work right w/o a Chrome browser. FF often has trouble using YT and other Google sites. Same/Sim problems using anything but IE or MS Edge to access MS support and other pages.

Google will soon control what web standards are supported or make sites break w/o Chrome support.
Google only spends millions of $ to keep FF alive so can fake Chrome has competition.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of good old stuff will eventually be unviewable. All this flash stuff is only one example. Old code only running on old OSes and hardware (Virtual machines don't play things the same.)

nothing lasts...

*jumps offa bridge*
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
nothing lasts...

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-12-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I like most of what I have heard from Iris DeMent, and that song in particular. I did a search to find out who played the resonator on that particular recording (Al Perkins) and in the process, came across this article: https://www.wsws.org/en/art...999/03/wast-m11.html

I guess few in the public eye are without controversy.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grant cited DeMent's song and two others--one by Robert Earl Keen

Which REK song was he referring to?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which REK song was he referring to?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He's sang much more controversial songs...but for Sen Grant to censure any of them is to violate the sacred oath to both the Fla State and the US the Constitution that he swore to uphold and defend. vis-a-vis the 1st amendment.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Even prior to that he would have had to perform the following when declaring as a candidate:

State of Florida

County of

Before me, an officer authorized to administer oaths, personally appeared (please print name as you wish it to appear on the ballot) , to me well known, who, being sworn, says that he or she is a candidate for the office of ; that he or she is qualified under the Constitution and laws of the United States to hold the office to which he or she desires to be nominated or elected; that he or she has qualified for no other public office in the state, the term of which office or any part thereof runs concurrent with that of the office he or she seeks; and that he or she will support the Constitution of the United States.

(Signature of candidate)

(Address)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-12-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No hope, pain, despair...

Damn, what a downer of a song.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Maybe you'll like this one better:

This is my favorite recording of "Our Town" with the beautiful Emmylou Harris and Jerry Douglas on the resonator:

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-12-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19334 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Back on topic, I guess I thought Flash and Java were both just about dead.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

... and Jerry Douglas on the resonator:

Who knew a resonator could sound that good!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Who knew a resonator could sound that good!

edit: OK, I just can't help myself. One more of Jerry Douglas:

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was played at the end of the final episode of Northern Exposure.
I find it to be a very realistic song and just a simple comment on real life, which is the life I lead anyway.

(I'm not a fan of Emmylou Harris' version)

Another female singer I like listening to is Nancy Griffith. "Love at the Five and Dime"

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Another female singer I like listening to is Nancy Griffith. "Love at the Five and Dime"

Another beautiful song by a beautiful lady! I love the octave harmonic elevator bell.

(I'm not a fan of Emmylou Harris' version)

When I am elected president, such inflammatory statements will be prosecuted as hate crimes.

There are three things that I like about that video:

1) I like the informal, live setting. There are other videos out there from that session and they are all well worth listening to. Search YouTube for "Emmylou Harris Transatlantic Sessions"
2) Jerry Douglas is outstanding
3) I am madly in love with Emmylou Harris

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I am elected president, such inflammatory statements will be prosecuted as hate crimes.

She has one eye bigger than the other, a flattened down nose, drives a 1999 broom with most of the straws missing, if her jeans' snap & zipper ever breaks ass will drop for 30 minutes and she's cross eyed to boot.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

She has one eye bigger than the other, a flattened down nose, drives a 1999 broom with most of the straws missing, if her jeans' snap & zipper ever breaks ass will drop for 30 minutes and she's cross eyed to boot.

So I might have a chance?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Back on topic, I guess I thought Flash and Java were both just about dead.
Flash is "dying" because Google and others what it dead because they can't control Flash. Adobe is going to stop supporting at some point to save money/time on their end. Why? Big one is Cost a lot of money to constantly fix major security problems w/ little future to generate money.

Java is anything but dead and Why Google v. Oracle is still a big issue and will be heard by SCOTUS this year. https://www.zdnet.com/artic...-in-google-v-oracle/
Android uses a lot of Java.
If Oracle gets © of Java APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) then MS Apple and many others will claim © of All API too.
Even CP when rewrote PFF software likely still used old original BBS APIs and they may claim PFF needs a license. Years ago same people was trying to get a license.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Flash is "dying" because Google and others what it dead because they can't control Flash. Adobe is going to stop supporting at some point to save money/time on their end. Why? Big one is Cost a lot of money to constantly fix major security problems w/ little future to generate money.

Java is anything but dead and Why Google v. Oracle is still a big issue and will be heard by SCOTUS this year. https://www.zdnet.com/artic...-in-google-v-oracle/
Android uses a lot of Java.
If Oracle gets © of Java APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) then MS Apple and many others will claim © of All API too.
Even CP when rewrote PFF software likely still used old original BBS APIs and they may claim PFF needs a license. Years ago same people was trying to get a license.

I figured that since neither Firefox nor Chrome support Java anymore, it was not viable.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I figured that since neither Firefox nor Chrome support Java anymore, it was not viable.
You never have Java support and still don't on Windows, many Linux flavors, and other OS's and programs on them unless:
Had one of Windows w/ MS "Java" that cause Sun to Sue MS then MS stopped making or supporting their "Clone" because of this. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...Java_Virtual_Machine )
Or
Has installed Sun/Oracle Java RT minimum. (JRE, Jave SE and other names.)

Many Windows users had both because MS clone didn't work w/ most Java apps.
Some Linux Dist have bundled JRE but I would not recommend this unless using actually Java. Why? Java is as bad or worse then MS having Huge security problems and only gotten worse since Oracle took over.

Note: Many here have/had installed the JRE just to visit my Cave. If true, Uninstall it now. Cave is HTML V5 and been so for 5+ years. "New" cave should even work on phones etc but images etc maybe big.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have only one need for Java, my home automation controller. My OS is Debian Gnu/Linux and I use Icedtea which is based on OpenJDK.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I used to create Flash websites like crazy back in the day. It was all the rage and top notice stuff.

I was using Adobe LiveMotion to create this stuff. Talk about Way Back Machine!

But Flash takes up a lot of space on a website, and in the slow days of the internet, actually required preloaders.

With HTML5 and beyond, the real move on websites is towards using a lot less space for faster downloads, rather than eye candy, like Flash is.

Flash will always have a special place in my heart.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I predict that flash will make a BIG comeback during Mardi Gras.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock