Started on: 02-07-2020 08:20 AM
Replies: 28 (469 views)
Last post by: Jonesy on 02-11-2020 09:33 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seriously considering installing some kind of home security system in our new home in Southern Mississippi. We're currently renovating and adding on to the house. New windows, doors, moving walls, new flooring, you name it, it won't be the same home when we're done. So, I'm thinking it's time to install some kind of security system.

Things I don't want is anything that is only battery operated, back up battery systems are OK.
There will be no cameras or listening devices within the interior of the house although, there are window breaking sound devices out there we are considering.

Looking for any advice those of you may have. The "Spousal Unit" has friends who use Simply Safe as their system. I'm still not sure what I want. ADT offers a lot of options but, I'm not sold on them either. What should I be asking and looking at?

I do want porch cameras and will have sufficient lighting for good video. Would also like to include my planned shop into the system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My friends Smith and Wesson are available to assist with home security but, a little advance warning is always a good idea. I've also got a very large dog most folks don't want to mess with, 170 lb. English Mastiff. I believe he sleeps with one eye open and hears everything going on. Tends to wake me up most nights when he thinks there's something worth investigation.

Thanks in advance.

Rams
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sentrytm. It's made in Korea. YouTube has some good videos.

It's for those really - really unwelcome visitors. Like siblings looking for even more money and stuff to take.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ron, I am very happy with mine.

Nite Guard Solar-Powered Night Animal Predator Light, Model# NG-001

Although not high lited in the ad, the package also says it works on human predators, . Everyone who comes over to my place (at night) think I have a security system and I allow them to believe it. Those that do not come, I am sure they suspect I have one.
I simply put a dab of silicone and attach them where I wish. I even put one (with velcro) in my truck.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Ring, but it doesn't meet your criteria because the sensors are battery powered.
But you know me, I'm going to tell you about it anyway, so just don't read it.

First, the reason I did not consider Simplisafe: https://thinkprogress.org/s...he-nra-524c33be3544/
Functionally, Ring is very much like Simplisafe.

Now, in defense of battery power, the base station plugs in, but has battery back up. The keypad can plug in or operate on a rechargeable battery. I run mine from the battery and after four months, it still shows over 50% power.
Each sensor runs on a CR123A battery and after the same four months, every device still shows 100% power. The system will send me an email when any battery is low. I can check the state of charge for each device and perform most other configuration and setup functions from my phone or my desktop.

The monitoring service is $10/month.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-07-2020).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you do, look into your local municipality laws regarding security systems. Most municipalities have limits on calls out, and will begin charging for false alarms rather quickly. There are fines if the Police come out and find nothing.

Great idea. Security is paramount. I suggest lighting with motion sensors. Even if someone is not alerted by them, you are. I have woken up more than once with a motion light that was tripped.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get your self a flock of Canada geese.

Ever seen a pizzed off goose?

That's why.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are doing that type of work you should run some network drops now.

Run them back to a closet that you can easily get power and internet access.
Most modern security devices need some type of network and power over Ethernet makes it easy to install with one cable drop.
I hate having a wifi foot print in the house I currently live in but when you rent you dont have much choice.

Most security systems come with a POE switch and require a network cable.
Kill two birds, network and power.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We went with a cheapo security camera setup off of Amazon, and set it up where we get a text message if there is movement in certain areas on each camera.

It works well enough that now the dogs just wait for the wife's phone to make that noise before going out...

Out here if it calls the Police, they aren't showing up within a half hour and the crack heads will have us cleaned out. So we tell a few key people about the cameras etc. that we have, and they spread the word to the crackheads not to bother with here.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

We went with a cheapo security camera setup off of Amazon, and set it up where we get a text message if there is movement in certain areas on each camera.

Still waiting on those "security cameras" that you sent me years ago.

A camera system is necessary for protection. Not only for foresight, but hindsight. Protect yourself from legal encounters.

Dogs are good.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being in this industry for over 30 years, there are a few questions.

What is the budget?
How many doors and windows in the house?
Is this local or are you going to pay for a monitoring company?

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys most systems/services are more theater then security...
Only helps maybe if you have cameras w/ recording all the time or alarm is tripped because cops can't or won't come for most alarms. Even in cities alarms for most home and business have a low priority. Outside a city just driving to a place can take a lot of time.
Also in some places may need permits/register a system or you get fined for robo-calling or service calling cops fire etc.

Plus...
  • All wireless "security" sensors have big problems and can jam them to go thru a door or window because Most have very low powered radios on channels doesn't need a license to operate. IOW Most wireless door and other sensors use same frequencies as many remote control things etc.
  • Most IoT devices have huge problems you can drive a truck thru the security holes found there. This often means anything connected to the "cloud" and other I-net services. Worrying about local thieves is only to tip of the iceberg using them.
  • Ring Nest and others have big issues beyond those issues. Example: Ring App for phones alone tracks you 24/7 and sells the data to 3rd parties.

If you wire for Ethernet... need to drop more then 1 in each room and have other end in a spot w/ air won't get too hot or cold or damp.
    I've seen fools use a closet full of crap, in crawl space, in attics, and worse and switches/routers get hot wet etc and wonder why the network is so slow or dead often.
    If not, many need a switch to use "TV" and PoE just in one room.

Note too that Cable TV and others have rules to wire the gateway/modem and other things using "their" cable.
    Cable Co problems end a "Demark" somewhere. Maybe easy or not to find. For many homes is a ground point outside on a house.
    After that point, your on billable time to find/fix crap wiring most places have in spades.
    "New" DOCSIS 3 and 3.1 must correct wiring or Will have problem.
    All wiring is "RG-6" and related types. If has "RG-59" thin cable anywhere between demark and modem then modem will hate you.
    Has any problems w/ splitters? the modem will hate you.
    In a nutshell...
    demark, RG-6, "certified" 2way Splitter, RG-6, Modem
    Other side of the 2way Splitter get everything else and even then must pay attention number/type of splitters.
    "Certified" is made to speed/frequencies use. Cheap no name and old splitters cause many problems.
  • IP: Logged
    PFF
    System Bot
    blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Being in this industry for over 30 years, there are a few questions.

What is the budget?
    How many doors and windows in the house?
    Is this local or are you going to pay for a monitoring company?

Need to keep it under $2K maximum, preferably less.
    Three doors, 7, maybe 8 windows
    Hoping to avoid monitoring companies.
    Would like to be able to get texts when an alarm is sounded if I'm not home, maybe an internal and external alarm.
    Definitely (she wants video) to her phone capability.
    Will probably want to tie my planned shop into this system.

Edit: Currently, the sheet rock is not on the walls, so I figure it's a good time to hard wire a system in.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-07-2020).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
    Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    IT PUTS THE SHEETROCK ON THE WALLS!
    blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

IT PUTS THE SHEETROCK ON THE WALLS!

Wow!! Talk about good luck, here I am paying someone to do that!! Now I won't have to....
    (After hardwiring was completed.)

Rams
    MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Just remember Sheetrock ain't no fligiting machine. It needs more than duct tape and bailing wire to stay up.
    E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
    User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2020 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Alarms "services" are a waste as by the time they either try calling you, and get no answer then the police.
    the person doing the B&E is long gone.
    Camera's you have to make sure what they record is useful . Ever see the bank videos o the news that are grainy and you only can tell it was a human. Also the recording media. no matter what people say, you can only re write so many times ,before the recordings when played back are useless . A system that only records When it detects movement , might be something to look at, if you don't plan on replacing the recording media religiously .
    Motion sensor lights, are like auto alarms, A thief won't even stop , as they know they are automatic.
    But one wired so , for example Front door outside motion triggered light turns on, and 10 seconds later it triggers the inside hall way light, making it look like someone is up/home/ will cause the thief to move along.
    I know someone in a ghetto, and his motion light, turns on, and also triggers a 35 mm camera flash.
    It makes the thief think a photo was taken. They have a camara/dvr system. and the video of the look on the thugs face after the flash and then running off. is priceless. Seems to have worked a few times for them.
    maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
    Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    If a picture being taken is all you want, a game cam with wireless connectivity will do it, but then, you have to deal with battery life.
    There are better options out there.
    My oldest sister has some kind of alarm/security cam thing that takes pictures and triggers a very loud klaxon when it detects movement. I have no idea which company sold and installed it, but it scared the crap out of me when she forgot to disable it one night after calling me to come over and get her heaters lit.
    (& I mean one of those klaxon sounds like you hear on submarine movies right before they yell DIVE DIVE DIVE)
    blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

My oldest sister has some kind of alarm/security cam thing that takes pictures and triggers a very loud klaxon when it detects movement. I have no idea which company sold and installed it, but it scared the crap out of me when she forgot to disable it one night after calling me to come over and get her heaters lit.
    (& I mean one of those klaxon sounds like you hear on submarine movies right before they yell DIVE DIVE DIVE)

I'd have paid good money to have seen that.

Rams

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Guys most systems/services are more theater then security...
    Only helps maybe if you have cameras w/ recording all the time or alarm is tripped because cops can't or won't come for most alarms. Even in cities alarms for most home and business have a low priority. Outside a city just driving to a place can take a lot of time.
    Also in some places may need permits/register a system or you get fined for robo-calling or service calling cops fire etc.

Plus...
  • All wireless "security" sensors have big problems and can jam them to go thru a door or window because Most have very low powered radios on channels doesn't need a license to operate. IOW Most wireless door and other sensors use same frequencies as many remote control things etc.
  • Most IoT devices have huge problems you can drive a truck thru the security holes found there. This often means anything connected to the "cloud" and other I-net services. Worrying about local thieves is only to tip of the iceberg using them.
  • Ring Nest and others have big issues beyond those issues. Example: Ring App for phones alone tracks you 24/7 and sells the data to 3rd parties.

If you wire for Ethernet... need to drop more then 1 in each room and have other end in a spot w/ air won't get too hot or cold or damp.
    I've seen fools use a closet full of crap, in crawl space, in attics, and worse and switches/routers get hot wet etc and wonder why the network is so slow or dead often.
    If not, many need a switch to use "TV" and PoE just in one room.

Note too that Cable TV and others have rules to wire the gateway/modem and other things using "their" cable.
    Cable Co problems end a "Demark" somewhere. Maybe easy or not to find. For many homes is a ground point outside on a house.
    After that point, your on billable time to find/fix crap wiring most places have in spades.
    "New" DOCSIS 3 and 3.1 must correct wiring or Will have problem.
    All wiring is "RG-6" and related types. If has "RG-59" thin cable anywhere between demark and modem then modem will hate you.
    Has any problems w/ splitters? the modem will hate you.
    In a nutshell...
    demark, RG-6, "certified" 2way Splitter, RG-6, Modem
    Other side of the 2way Splitter get everything else and even then must pay attention number/type of splitters.
    "Certified" is made to speed/frequencies use. Cheap no name and old splitters cause many problems.

• Honestly, I didn't understand the majority of what's above. What I don't mind is paying someone else to install the system I want. We have a window of time with easy access of all walls in the structure. Maybe I should just go ahead and contact a local company that does this kind of thing but thought it would be wise to ask others first.

Not sure if this be of any use but, back when I had my last shop wired for cable TV, the guy doing it was a friend of my son's and he left a spool and a half of exterior cable with me. I don't see why it couldn't be used as interior wiring but, I don't know squat about this topic.

Rams
    Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
    Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
    Still waiting on those "security cameras" that you sent me years ago.

A camera system is necessary for protection. Not only for foresight, but hindsight. Protect yourself from legal encounters.

Dogs are good.

I don't remember? My brain is blanking on this completely.

What do I owe ya? I'll make it right man.

Brad

[This message has been edited by Fats (edited 02-09-2020).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    For the most part its deciding on what kind of system you want/can afford.

DVR - this is the device that stores the video and connects to the internet to send messages to your phone or monitoring company if you go that route.
    Camera - pretty straight forward
    POE - power over Ethernet, you have only one cable required at the camera and it provides data and power.
    POE Switch - most of the DVRs will have connections so you wont need to buy additional switches, but later if you want more cameras you may need one for expansion
    Router - used to isolate the cameras from the internet (Don't skip this part)
    DMark - place where you can have a safe power source and internet access.
    RJ45 - the jack on the end of the cable that you plug into the camera and DVR
    UPS - Battery back should someone cut the power it will continue to record until the battery dies.
    WAN - This is the network where you have internet.
    LAN - This is where the the cameras and DVR is plugged into

You have to decide what you want and do you want to add to it later.

Here is what I would do.
    You will probably find a bundle for the DVR and Cameras but make sure you can add more later.

Find a DVR that supports POE Ethernet and will support 16 or more cameras. Make sure it has ports for 8 POE cameras
    Buy POE cameras and pull CAT5 cable to each location

For the equipment I would put it as close to where the cable and power come into the house but away from any hot or moist rooms
    You will want room for a UPS, DVR, Switch (if needed) and a router.
    Make sure you can get to it without too much effort so you can clean and manage the system (Do not just install it and forget it)

For the cameras you will need to pick them first then you can figure out what kind of box you need mounted behind the wall.
    Mount the boxes and then run the CAT5 cable back to your chosen DMark location.
    If it was me I would just run the cables and put RJ45 jacks on the end and plug them in.

The DVR should have connections on the back for the cameras. Pretty straight forward.
    Next there should be a port for management and internet access - they may be the same thing.
    You will want to connect that to the router and have a different IP address assigned different from the cameras.

Router - to keep your camera feed and DVR secure they should be on the LAN and not exposed to the internet. The router/gateway is used to limit access to the DRV to the management port and internet connection if needed for monitoring.

It sounds like a lot and you will want to find someone that has experience.
    This is not my field but I have dealt with them in the past at a few locations.
    I suggested POE Ethernet because its standard and can be used across a lot of different systems
    Stay away from BNC connections as they will restrict what you can use and you will just be replacing it later.

I hope this helps, it was off the top of my head and on one cup of coffee
    PFF
    System Bot
    blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Helps a bunch, thanks

Rams

------------------
    Rams

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
    after a shooting, the problem is the gun....
    Open your frigg'n minds, think about all the other tools that can be made into WMDs.

My wife told me to grow up. I told her to get out of my fort!

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Wow the price goes up drastically for the number of supported cameras
    Also functionality, if you want to be able to zoom or pan would drive the price up.

Its a lot easier to spend the money when its coming out of a corporate budget.
    We are looking at a 4 camera system that can support up to 8 and its already at the upper limit of our budget.
    Havent even started to add in the cabling.
    But I do already have a router as I have some home systems isolated and not exposed to the internet already.

Good luck.
    blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Wow the price goes up drastically for the number of supported cameras
    Also functionality, if you want to be able to zoom or pan would drive the price up.

Its a lot easier to spend the money when its coming out of a corporate budget.
    We are looking at a 4 camera system that can support up to 8 and its already at the upper limit of our budget.
    Havent even started to add in the cabling.
    But I do already have a router as I have some home systems isolated and not exposed to the internet already.

Good luck.

Yeah, luck may play a big role in what we do. Limited budget.
    My son installed his own system, will see what he thinks he can do to assist but, he's several hours away and has limited time.
    It is, what it is. May have to go with a pack of Miniature Pinchers. Any thief will have problems running with those ankle biters.

Rams
    theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    WAN - Wide Area Network. The Cable/Fiber/DSL side of the network where you have internet.
    LAN - Local Area Network. Like name says Local and is where Everything wired and WiFi including the new secure cameras and DVR is "plugged into."

Modems has 1 Ethernet port you put your own router in. Might have USB that nearly no-one used. These are a WAN Port connected directly to entire I-net. (USB when there is just Ethernet to USB and only use that or other at 1 time.) Many Still used them to run their own routers for whatever reason.

Current "Gateways" from Xfinity et al have WiFi, Usually 4 wired net port, remote management and more all turn on by default. (Can turn of some to all but doesn't matter here. No WAN port on these unless you turn off all Gateway features.) Remote management is a problem on many levels and beyond the topic.

Cable Co needs proper cable wiring for "tv" side of modem/gateway like I posted above. If you don't understand is ok but get someone that does and check/fix cable or Modem/Gateway will barf and have slow speeds etc. Search docsis3 here for more. If you have problem in a home... Very likely You will get billed big time to have Cable Co fix them.

Having more then 1 PoE device really needs a switch w/ that feature. Gateway, Router or Switch/Hub that Cable Co et al provides nearly all Does Not support this. Most things you buy a retail Does Not support this too.
    Example: Cable Co most likely will install a Gateway that supports 1-4 Phones lines, WiFi, 4 port Wired net ports, etc. You have to put 1 wired port on this to a PoE switch to get power and Ethernet for cameras etc.

All gateways switches etc. needs plenty of "Room temperature" air to cool or will cause slow downs to dead I-net. If have any fans too... Need Clean air or fan and inside quickly look like vacuum cleaners and can't cool and slow or crash. Many hind security DVR etc. have same problem for heat.

All Is relevant to this because Iffy I-net will cause Iffy "Security" using it.
    Some still use phone, cellular or landline, as backup. This have problem with copper lines but VoIP using Fiber, Cable "TV," and cellular have problems too.
    blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    This I am convinced of, I’ll need technical assistance to accomplish what I want to do.

Thanks
    Rams
    theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
    Is wrong.
    Dmarc (Demarcation point.) demarc/demark and other way to say it is the point where any problem is on X Co side they pay to fix or on Building Owner side that you will pay to fix 99+% of times at High Labor and Material rates. Comcast rates: https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card (We'll ignore fools that don't call Miss Utility etc and wreck whatever.)

Exactly when/what that is depend in service type and building. Common Example:
    Old Copper Phone line to a single home to town home and many small businesses are the "NID" (Network Interface Device) somewhere on an exterior wall.
    For Cable "TV" the dmarc for same is often a ground point somewhere on an exterior wall exact or sim to this... (This one has a MoCA filter built into the unit and larger then basic ground point.)
    CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

FiOS and related often has a Huge "NID" where Fiber ends and enters the building w/ Copper, Coax etc. for phones, TV and so on.

Fiber and Cable "TV" Does Not provide power. You are force to provide power to run Modems Gateways etc for them. Including FiOS NID outside of most places.
    Old POT copper does provide power to run home phones and some other things. For Business, that power isn't enough to run even smallest PBX or too many basic phones on a line.
    Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
    Is wrong.
    Dmarc (Demarcation point.) demarc/demark and other way to say it is the point where any problem is on X Co side they pay to fix or on Building Owner side that you will pay to fix 99+% of times at High Labor and Material rates. Comcast rates: https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card (We'll ignore fools that don't call Miss Utility etc and wreck whatever.)

Exactly when/what that is depend in service type and building. Common Example:
    Old Copper Phone line to a single home to town home and many small businesses are the "NID" (Network Interface Device) somewhere on an exterior wall.
    For Cable "TV" the dmarc for same is often a ground point somewhere on an exterior wall exact or sim to this... (This one has a MoCA filter built into the unit and larger then basic ground point.)
    CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

FiOS and related often has a Huge "NID" where Fiber ends and enters the building w/ Copper, Coax etc. for phones, TV and so on.

Fiber and Cable "TV" Does Not provide power. You are force to provide power to run Modems Gateways etc for them. Including FiOS NID outside of most places.
    Old POT copper does provide power to run home phones and some other things. For Business, that power isn't enough to run even smallest PBX or too many basic phones on a line.[/QUOTE]

chill I used it so he would understand. But the best place to put this equipment is where service comes into his house. But again Chill its was used to provide an example without throwing more information out that the client doesn't understand.

Good luck Rams, choose your installer carefully
    Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
    Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Well to start out you can surround your place with junk cars and tires to form a makeshift barricade. Then line the wall with automated mini-guns, should chew humans and ghouls up real easy, and maybe a few gauss cannons for the bigger more armored attacks. (super mutants, enclave ect.)

Then there are land mines, grenade trip wires, ect..

Oh! you mean your "house" house... My bad, thought you where talking about your fallout base!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock