Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Computer Help ! Uploading / Downloading Contents From My TV Satellite DVR

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Computer Help ! Uploading / Downloading Contents From My TV Satellite DVR by cliffw
Started on: 02-06-2020 04:23 AM
Replies: 5 (101 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 02-07-2020 08:22 AM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to save some money … to spend elsewhere. I want to capture all my recordings for play back later, without the DVR box. The last time I tried this, I put my service on vacation rates and was unable to review previous recordings.

Is it possible ? There are a few unused ports which do something.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried that new fangled thing called a VCR ?

Pulling your leg of course.

I have a satellite reciever, that has a USB port for hooking up a 2 TB hard drive, to turn it into a single channel DVR.
The files are stored in some kind of Linux based encryted .lxt file format, to prevent unauthorized duplication.
Haven't seen anyone post a workaround for doing this yet.

And I think my satellite service has to be currently subscribed, so you can't quit your service and still play the content on your DVR. Copyright issues.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

[This message has been edited by Marko (edited 02-06-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marko:

I have a satellite reciever, that has a USB port for hooking up a 2 TB hard drive, to turn it into a single channel DVR.
The files are stored in some kind of Linux based encryted .lxt file format, to prevent unauthorized duplication.
Haven't seen anyone post a workaround for doing this yet.

And I think my satellite service has to be currently subscribed, so you can't quit your service and still play the content on your DVR. Copyright issues.
Yup. Sat, Cable and most other DVR have DRM to block copying content to anything for © TM etc.
Even most TV cards for PC no longer work on most cable services because all channels now are encrypted including same channels that are OTA broadcast locally.
Only PC cards that take CableCARD etc can decrypt and getting a CableCARD is very hard to impossible in most markets. Cable Co etc knows is near impossible to fight copying any media get on a PC.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dvr box has composite outputs. (the old r/b/y/ 3rcas) and the red and white audio rca's.
you can record/copy anything you want. as the blocking signal is in the digital only outputs. not the analog
so composit to the vcr . and record at will
I have a dvd r+data recorder. so I can record to dvd. if I want. through the composite cables.
Only issue doing it analog is it is 1 to 1( if the show is 90 minutes it take 90 minutes to record it.. not speedy digital downloads
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
That said, you most likely can find what you have recorded on you tube.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all.

Originally posted by Marko:

A couple years ago I had Dish. When we sold our home I stayed at my lake place where TV signal is non existent. I used it for a while until I could get set up. I think I put my service in vacation mode. Dish could not pick up a signal (aiming, tree interference) so I got Direct TV. When I went to "vacation mode" it would not play. Dish eventually wanted their box back and got it. I never aimed to keep the recordings forever. Besides, I would guess I have over 250 DVD's.

I do have an old combo VCR 13" TV, , .

Originally posted by theogre:
Yup. Sat, Cable and most other DVR have DRM to block copying content to anything for © TM etc.

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
My dvr box has composite outputs. (the old r/b/y/ 3rcas) and the red and white audio rca's.
you can record/copy anything you want. as the blocking signal is in the digital only outputs. not the analog
so composit to the vcr . and record at will
Only issue doing it analog is it is 1 to 1( if the show is 90 minutes it take 90 minutes to record it.. not speedy digital downloads

Well now, time to set priorities, .

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock