Started on: 02-04-2020 01:07 PM
Replies: 15 (274 views)
Last post by: RandomTask on 02-05-2020 04:05 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2020 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is a fair price to offer someone to print some stuff.

Our library got a small printer, about 8x8 bed. I know nothing about doing it and really have no desire to learn for the little I will ever do.

What I want is to grab a picture of some woodworking jigs and tools off the internet, write on some dimension and say "mungo want. Grunt. "

Should I be paying hourly or by the piece or what? (keeping in mind it's a public printer so materials are wholesale )
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2020 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why leach off of your government? Instead of jamming up "free stuffs", move on with your own.

Government controlled library printers? Oh, this should work out quite well...
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2020 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not leeching or free stuffs. It's just the cost is based on cost recovery.

Course, I could always jump on wish.com and send my money to China for the stuff I
want instead of spending it locally. just like what ducked up the economy in the first place.
Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2020 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the files that you want printed? I have multiple 3D printers and have been known to help a fellow out.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2020 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll send you a pm when I am at a regular computer. Just grabbing my phone on smoke breaks right now.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2020 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My post came off rude. I did not mean that you are a leech. Just wanted to make clarity.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2020 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

It's not leeching or free stuffs. It's just the cost is based on cost recovery.

Course, I could always jump on wish.com and send my money to China for the stuff I
want instead of spending it locally. just like what ducked up the economy in the first place.

You of all people should know copying an item ,. someone put time into r&d of the item you plan on JUST making a copy of. is questionable. morals wise
You'll need a laser plotter/scanner and software before the printer anyways.

{sarcasm on}
so just do what most others do that don't want to pay for things, go shop lift it. as you're doing the same thing with extra steps.
j/k ing
{sarcasm off}

THAT said. if you saw something and are going to just make your own take on it,.
Trying out the 3D printing on a library printer is smart, but be warned you most likely will be like ,"I want one" after using it.

3d printers are neat, only down side is they print very ,very slow, the larger ones are awesome. like a 36"x36" square platter and can print up to 48" tall.
The metal 3D printers are even better.

Because they tend to print slowly, and no idea of how large an item/part/piece you plan on printing. you might inquire if the printers power is cut off overnight, (fire hazard) if it is not. you can load your cad file and have it print overnight, If it does, you might have to start the print as soon as they open. and make sure the projected time to print is less than the hours of the library being open.
you don't want it stopping before your part/piece/whatever is finished.
have fun

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 02-05-2020).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2020 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Why leach off of your government? Instead of jamming up "free stuffs", move on with your own.

Government controlled library printers? Oh, this should work out quite well...

You've never rented tools? vehicles? BOOKS.
maybe a vehicle from a friend because you needed to pick something up and your vehicle can't fit it.?
or a tool that will be a one time use and you borrow it from someone OR an automotive parts store instead of buying your own.

Never mind that a PUBLIC library is there to be used by the local population if they are part of the tax base or not (children, retired folks, homemakers/etc).

I think it is damn cool that a library has one to use. To play with/use if your in the market to buy one and want to try one out first or you're never going to buy your own.

I'm sure there will be a back pedaling post at some point if not already.
It's your M.O.!!

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2020 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

You of all people should know copying an item ,. someone put time into r&d of the item you plan on JUST making a copy of. is questionable. morals wise
You'll need a laser plotter/scanner and software before the printer anyways.

{sarcasm on}
so just do what most others do that don't want to pay for things, go shop lift it. as you're doing the same thing with extra steps.
j/k ing
{sarcasm off}

THAT said. if you saw something and are going to just make your own take on it,.
Trying out the 3D printing on a library printer is smart, but be warned you most likely will be like ,"I want one" after using it.

3d printers are neat, only down side is they print very ,very slow, the larger ones are awesome. like a 36"x36" square platter and can print up to 48" tall.
The metal 3D printers are even better.

Because they tend to print slowly, and no idea of how large an item/part/piece you plan on printing. you might inquire if the printers power is cut off overnight, (fire hazard) if it is not. you can load your cad file and have it print overnight, If it does, you might have to start the print as soon as they open. and make sure the projected time to print is less than the hours of the library being open.
you don't want it stopping before your part/piece/whatever is finished.
have fun

It's not ending up an exact copy. It's being modified from an existing jig. You know, like modifying a Fiero

Basically it's for scarfing on a sliding miter saw. 15 or 20 degree cuts along the length to splice shorter pieces into one longer stick. The angle isn't really that critical so long as they are all the same.

It was easy to do on my old radial arm saw but I need a jig for this saw to keep my fingers at more or less factory length.

I still haven't decided myself if it should be printed or just make it from plywood. Picture a Stanley square cut down to the right angles and a toggle clamp screwed on top.

It's just something I will be getting a lot of use out of for quite a while.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 02-05-2020).]

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2020 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2020 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I'm sure there will be a back pedaling post at some point if not already.
It's your M.O.!!

You have zero reading comprehension. Call me.

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2020 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I still haven't decided myself if it should be printed or just make it from plywood.

Wouldn't the plywood version be more stable and accurate?
In addition, you could make a prototype in a matter of minutes and then make another, better one just as quickly.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2020 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19334 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by RandomTask:

https://www.thingiverse.com/

Looking at that site makes me want a 3-D printer. I could see it quickly becoming an obsession. I would spend the rest of my days printing truckloads of stuff I don't even need, just because I can. My house would forever smell like burning plastic.

"Where's Willie?"

He's in his basement, printing a submarine.

"Willie doesn't have a basement."

Yes he does, he printed it last week.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-05-2020).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2020 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Looking at that site makes me want a 3-D printer. I could see it quickly becoming an obsession. I would spend the rest of my days printing truckloads of stuff I don't even need, just because I can. My house would forever smell like burning plastic.

"Where's Willie?"

He's in his basement, printing a submarine.

"Willie doesn't have a basement."

Yes he does, he printed it last week.

They are very fun to use.
A god send for those with vehicles with plastic parts no one makes,
Also great for models you can custom.
I hope to soon be printing speaker pods for the cutlass for the kick panel.
seatbelt retractor cover with tweeter pod.
rear window interior trim with pod for the rear channel of the dash cam. to replace the oem upper trim piece.
3rd brake light housing for bottom of rear window rear deck .
mount for modern rear view mirror giving me map lights up front (only two side interior lights between the doors and opra windows) compass and garage door opener . And get the on window oem one gone.
A cup holder panel that fit in a spot in the console , that is just a small bowl panel put comes off the top of the unit. behind shifter but before the console storage box/lid

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2020 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to "get into" 3D printing, now is definitely a good time. the traditional type which melts filament (plastic-y string onna spool) or the SLA resin types (the pieces comes out of a vat of goo)

Some of the resin printers are really good. 200-300 bucks.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2020 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

If you want to "get into" 3D printing, now is definitely a good time. the traditional type which melts filament (plastic-y string onna spool) or the SLA resin types (the pieces comes out of a vat of goo)

Some of the resin printers are really good. 200-300 bucks.

SLA (Stereolithography) uses a photo-resin and a laser to build and while it can generally build more detailed prints, is usually way messier and weaker builds.

The GOOD printers are SLS/SLM (Selective Laser Sintering/Melting) which can do some really cool designs and utilize metals, but those are big money ($100k+). FDM is definitely the easiest to get started on. Resolution isn't there but usually you can finish them in pretty well with some post print efforts if you really need it to look better.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock