Started on: 01-27-2020 03:35 PM
Replies: 7 (201 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 01-28-2020 09:59 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What am I missing here?...
The article states that the Mars rover Curiosity takes selfies (of itself of course) and it's primary camera is on an arm that extends out from the body of the rover.

The robot is fond of taking ‘selfies’ during its breaks from exploring Mars, and a side-by-side comparison of an image it snapped shortly after it landed on the red planet and one the robot took recently highlights its shocking transformation.....[snip/snip] In one of its latest communications with Earth, the Curiosity rover snapped an image of itself on Mars on October 11, 2019. The robot uses a camera placed at the end of its arm called the Mars Hand Lens Imager to take several pictures that are stitched together into a panorama featuring the Martian surface in the background..

So...where's the arm that stretches out with the camera to take the selfies?
Does it somehow set the camera down somewhere and then back away, let the camera run and then move forward and retrieve the camera?

https://www.inverse.com/sci...nasa-mars-2020-rover

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2020 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's old news.

The aaaallllliiiiieeeennnnsssss blowed UP the original rover 2 years ago. All the recent pics are done with a portable green screen in the Alberta badlands.

It's in the camera man's contact that they can't (for obvious reasons) give him credit, but they removed the arm from the mock up so he could plausibly say "I took that "
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure I read that they edit the arm out, when they stitch the images together.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's certainly plausible Willie. I wonder why?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

That's certainly plausible Willie. I wonder why?

Why not? Since the final image is a composite of many snapshots, each with the arm in a different position, why would they choose any portion which is obscured (however minimally) by the arm?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was referring to the selfies, not the panoramic Marscapes.
It's not like the arm obscures much...you see it here on the lower right

(I've never seen any pictures of Curiosity on mars where the arm was in the picture.)

https://www.geek.com/tech/c...tian-selfie-1808528/

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-27-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The selfie is still a composite image. The camera arm is attached to the left front corner. Any image of that corner would include the arm.
Swing the arm left and take a picture of the right half, then swing the arm right and take another picture to the left. Put the two pictures together and you have the whole machine, without the arm.
If you swing the arm right and take a picture of the right, the arm would obscure the shot.

edit: I guess the arm is not on the wheel, but the corner of the main body.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-27-2020).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fun facts

"Mars is a harsh, cold world. The temperature on Mars is much colder than on Earth; but then, the planet is also farther from the sun. The small, barren planet also has a thin atmosphere that is 95 percent carbon dioxide.

Extreme differences

Mars's atmosphere is about 100 times thinner than Earth's. Without a "thermal blanket," Mars can't retain any heat energy. On average, the temperature on Mars is about minus 80 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 60 degrees Celsius). In winter, near the poles temperatures can get down to minus 195 degrees F (minus 125 degrees C). A summer day on Mars may get up to 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) near the equator, but at night the temperature can plummet to about minus 100 degrees F (minus 73 C). "

https://www.space.com/16907...erature-of-mars.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock