Started on: 01-22-2020 02:35 PM
Replies: 25 (454 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 01-28-2020 08:34 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if they taste more like frog legs or rattlesnake.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2020 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Climate change. The last sentence blames climate change.

On a Fiero related note, I had an iguana named Zeke for years after high school. He would just chill with us. Never bothered anyone, or even tried for an escape. I used to put him on the shelf behind me in my 1984 Fiero. Took that scaley bastage just about everywhere.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Tony, you are showing your age. You do not know the name of the new term ?
Someone, some thread, linked an article about how the UN deemed climate refugees non deportable.

The new phrase is ... damn, I am on a different computer. Gone is global warming. It is now "Global Heating".

Is there a market for iguanas ? Perfect harvest time.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2020 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it tastes like chicken keep on licken.

Tastes like trout get the hell out.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I wonder if they taste more like frog legs or rattlesnake.

Tastes like gator tail to me.

Best analogy that I can think of for gator tail is if you fried fish and chicken in the same pan and the chicken picked up a slight "fishy" taste to it....that's gator, (and iguana)
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Tastes like gator tail to me.

Best analogy that I can think of for gator tail is if you fried fish and chicken in the same pan and the chicken picked up a slight "fishy" taste to it....that's gator, (and iguana)

To me, gator is chewy, like chicken gizzards, not as tender as frog or snake.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2020 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've tried gator at a few restaurants, and the closest I can describe what's been served is pop a chunk of inner tube in your mouth, take a swig of swamp water with rotting foliage for flavor, and start chewing.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I've tried gator at a few restaurants, and the closest I can describe what's been served is pop a chunk of inner tube in your mouth, take a swig of swamp water with rotting foliage for flavor, and start chewing.

I hear that Canadian alligators are like that.

https://pinebarrensinstitut...aka-pitt-lake-lizard
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends which part of the alligator you prepare and how you prepare it.
Most restaurants cook the tail too long and many people don't remove all the little tendons from the tail meat and that does make it pretty chewy.

But, think about alligator the same as you would beef or pork. The meat we usually eat as steaks and roasts are all muscles..the primal muscles used least by the animal are the most tender..like the loin cuts..while the most used parts from the legs, chuck and rump are used a lot and they are less tender, which is why they are usually cooked slower and longer. Alligator tail is all muscle..actually 4 muscles and used a LOT while the aligator is living..same as it's legs, so it's not going to be as tender as chicken. (most chicken you get nowadays is grown off very quickly and it's muscles aren't used much anyway in that short length of time) And, there is very little fat in an alligator, so it is going to dry out easily if you aren't careful. 2 of the tail muscles (1 on each side) are not so tender, while the 2 interior strips are as tender as any tenderloin...you will very rarely find these 2 good pieces sold in a restaurant that caters rto us peon masses.
Cut the gator tail into strips 1" thick and about 4-6" long. Season them and put them on a hot grill and grill them no more than 3-4..'maybe' 5 min on each side.
If you are going to fry the tail, cut it into 1 1/2" cubes, season, dip in buttermilk (a natural tenderizer), coat with flour/and cornstarch mixture then repeat. Deep fry it just until it floats or about 5 minutes.

Really tho, the best way is to brine it for about 10-12 hrs then roast it slow in the oven, basting with butter frequently.

The rest of the gator needs to be de-boned and slow cooked in a sauce. ..leg meat and jowls, but it's hard to get in a retail environment.
The only reason snake meat is more tender is because it's so thin. When I was in Cuba, I ate some snake meat from a very large snake (boa I believe) and it was considerably tougher than the rattlesnake I have eaten. (I didn't cook it..a Jamaican did.)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-23-2020).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

On a Fiero related note, I had an iguana named Zeke for years after high school. He would just chill with us. Never bothered anyone, or even tried for an escape. I used to put him on the shelf behind me in my 1984 Fiero. Took that scaley bastage just about everywhere.

This is what really pisses me off... why does every news / media outlet have to try to make **** up.

This could be a result of milder winters: "We're going through multiple winters that are failing to get as cold as almost every winter did a few decades ago," Weather Underground climate blogger Bob Henson said. "This is happening at the same time that iguana populations are multiplying across South Florida."

What the hell does any of this even mean?

It snowed last year in San Antonio... first time in decades. And before I moved to Texas, I'd lived in SOUTH Florida for over 20 years. Growing zone 9b. We had many, many, many winters that dropped below 32 degrees. Every time this happened, they'd announce a state of emergency.

Lizards are always falling from the trees as a result of a cold snap. As a matter of fact, after 2012 I think it was, we had such a cold winter that I didn't see the iguana population come back until fairly recently. I'd say that even just before this last cold snap, the iguana population is nothing like what it was prior to 2012.

As for the iguanas, I kind of feel bad for them. I don't know why "experts" hate them so much. They are an invasive species, but I don't really see that they cause any kind of significant problems. They eat flowering plants... (they love hibiscus), but they almost exclusively hang out near waterways, so it's not like they destroy everything in sight.

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I lived in Florida in the '50s and '60s, we didn't have iguana or pythons, and I don't think there were near as many alligators. I guess it is a very different place now.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

When I lived in Florida in the '50s and '60s, we didn't have iguana or pythons, and I don't think there were near as many alligators. I guess it is a very different place now.

That's the thing with Florida... really... South Florida. In the early 1950s, air conditioning wasn't common in all except the wealthiest of homes. By the early 1960s, window units were becoming affordable, but "central air" didn't even become a thing until the mid 1970s. It wasn't until the mid 1960s that South Florida (where most of the iguanas are) started to really get populated.

That's important for two reasons...

1 - Alligators pretty much stayed in their territory, which was the everglades. There didn't exist this network of canals and channels back then that exists today. Furthermore, the Division of Forestry had broadcast eucalyptus seed all over South Florida in an attempt to dry up the swamp. Over the past 60 years since then, we've pretty much used up every available land that isn't otherwise part of a state or national park. In addition, everyone wants ocean and intercostal access, so there have been 10s of thousands of canals and large connecting drainage systems. This has both reduced the available land for alligators forcing them into populated areas, and provided new means of passage to populated areas (via canals).

2 - The iguanas mostly came here during the population boom. Transient families with pets who leave Florida, rather than take the pet with them, they let them go in the canal.

So, it's man-caused, that's for sure... but these silly articles always want to try to make allegations or insinuations that everything happens because of "climate change."
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen a lot of iguanas, but they were different than the green ones in Fla. They are Cuban rock iguanas..they eat prickly pear and other arid land vegetation. In all of Cuba's 45,000 sq miles, there are about 50,000 of them but 3000 of these iguanas are on the US Naval base's 45 square miles at Guantanamo, protected and well cared for. It's the only part of Cuba where their numbers are increasing instead of decreasing. One of the detention camps is named camp iguana.

Of course, Guantanamo also has huge numbers of banana rats..they weigh from 6-18 lbs each and don't eat bananas. They're everywhere and we called them banana rats because that's the shape and size of the turds these rats leave all over the place.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-24-2020).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't be alarmed enough to take precautions unless the forecast is for raining of monitor lizards.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-24-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One should always use as much protection as possible around lot liards..
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

If you are going to fry the tail, cut it into 1 1/2" cubes, season, dip in buttermilk (a natural tenderizer), coat with flour/and cornstarch mixture then repeat. Deep fry it just until it floats or about 5 minutes.

YUP

One of the best local places for gator tail near us is in Ozona, FL, (20 min. drive) and they soak their wild caught gator in buttermilk for a day or so before breading and deep frying for nuggets. They also serve fresh tail "tenderloin" Cajun blackened style or grilled.

http://www.mollygoodheads.com/

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

YUP

One of the best local places for gator tail near us is in Ozona, FL, (20 min. drive) and they soak their wild caught gator in buttermilk for a day or so before breading and deep frying for nuggets. They also serve fresh tail "tenderloin" Cajun blackened style or grilled.

http://www.mollygoodheads.com/

My wife, and half my friends graduated from University of Florida, and they are vehemently against eating gator... hahah..
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Film at 11

Florida Man Fills Car with Frozen Iguanas, They Warm Up, Come Back to Life, Cause Accident
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I wouldn't be alarmed enough to take precautions unless the forecast is for raining of reigning by monitor lizards.

Hey, now we're talking!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-25-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^ OK, now that's funny! ^^

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-25-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope everybody got their fill of "tree chicken". Because 2 days later, it was 70 degrees again. Florida 'winter' is weird like that.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hey, now we're talking!

That totally looks like something that came out of a Dungeons & Dragons manual...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

That totally looks like something that came out of a Dungeons & Dragons manual...

I found the image doing a Google search... but This is where it's from. Give it a listen!

Same band, same album... Here's a song for Willie.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-25-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tailmeat of gator.

The below picture shows the tail of an alligator, looking from the bottom side. The very center is the bones that extend on down from the spine. He has already skinned the whole animal, and is fleshing it out. Everything you see is flesh, but he's removing one of 2 tenderloins on the tail (one on each side of the tail) and he has one in his hand. This is the most prized part of the tail and all the rest of the tail is flesh as well and is what you usually get if you order fried alligator tail. The tenderloin will go for a much higher price than the regular tail meat.

He has it cut loose in the following picture.

It and the other one are the equivalent of the ribeye if it were beef. The rest of the tail is ok, but nothing like the tenderloin.
You can watch the whole thing..about 28 minutes I believe.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-27-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Wish I was in Tijuana. Eating barbecued iguana..."

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock