Started on: 01-15-2020 04:37 PM
Replies: 25 (426 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 01-17-2020 11:08 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2020 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting concept to circumvent gun control. Take a non-regulated paintball gun, give it whoop-ass power, and market it as a training gun.

The interesting part is at the bottom of the review.

https://www.replicaairguns....ver-table-top-review
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer one of the .50 cals I already have for home defense. They can do more then just piss off an intruder
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, live somewhere that actually still has (and always has had) a 2nd amendment type protection and you won't have to go thru all that loophole type crap and still end up with nothing.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2020 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yer joking yourself if you think it's meant for. 50 cal paintballs.

1/2 inch Steel slingshot Ball is more like it. That's gonna do a lot more than just piss off an intruder.

Like the article says, paintball is usually 68 cal. WHY pick an off caliber unless you have something else in mind. And ramp up the power to unuseabale in a game.

That's about the same as the Girondoni used by Lewis and Clark, but with a harder ball and closer ranges. Nothing I want to be on the receiving end of.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-15-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Except you are taking into consideration muzzle velocities.

360fps MV for the paintball (approx 1.5 grams)..and you think it's going to work well with a 1/2 steel bearing?

A .50 cal round black powder lead ball is around 180 gr. Using the muzzle velocity advertised for the paint ball gun in question (and it will actually be even lower for a heavier steel or lead ball) ..
At a muzzle vel of 360fps, that = 52 ft lbs or 70 joules of energy.

May as well be using a fly swatter.

A .22 long rifle has muzzle energy of 135 ft lbs.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-15-2020).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to put things in perspective, typical 9mm handgun ammo has 6-7 times as much muzzle energy as that "training gun".

Yeah, that .50 cal ball will probably hurt... if the guy is only wearing a t-shirt. Put on a winter coat, and it'll bounce off harmlessly. Better hope for a face / throat shot.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2020 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Goes without saying I'd rather have my old colt or browning back. That's not going to happen in our political climate anytime soon.

I'm on my phone in a coffee shop so not much reference material here, but the Lewis had around 450 500 fps on a 50 ball. Low end muzzle loader were about the same.

Both got the job done. This is in the same ballpark so I am sitting second guessing what Umarex really designed it for.

If it's marketed in Europe as home defence, I very much doubt paintballs.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Except you are taking into consideration muzzle velocities.

360fps MV for the paintball (approx 1.5 grams)..and you think it's going to work well with a 1/2 steel bearing?

A .50 cal round black powder lead ball is around 180 gr. Using the muzzle velocity advertised for the paint ball gun in question (and it will actually be even lower for a heavier steel or lead ball) ..
At a muzzle vel of 360fps, that = 52 ft lbs or 70 joules of energy.

May as well be using a fly swatter.

A .22 long rifle has muzzle energy of 135 ft lbs.

You beat me to it.

I read the ad for that TOY and also noted the measly 360 fps and instantly thought: "I think you can probably hit someone with a damn golf club harder than that thing will"
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hoping you do know enough about pressures and ballistics to realize what a short barreled pistol produces is nothing compared to a long barreled rifle?

The limit to air weapons is the lower operating pressures. For instance...
A .50 cal BMG develops around 55,000psi pressure between the chamber and the end of the barrel. Air weapons are pretty much limited to whatever the burst test limit of the cylinder is, usually around 4,000psi or lower. There are federal restrictions in this country but I don't have them handy.

There is a way to significantly increase pressures in even a cheap small caliber air weapon, tho they aren't recomended. A drop of oil in the air inlet port..or coating the pellets in a light oil. The air charge heats up enough to ignite the oil in a dieseling effect behind the pellet, increasing bore pressure, muzzle vel and muzzle energy.

Lewis & Clark's air rifle is known to have had about 75 joules or 55 ft lbs of muzzle energy from a 34" long barrel and overal rifle length of 48.5", but 'could' produce up to 250 ft lbs at 800 psi. There is documentation, that even before the expedition got under way, that this rifle was accidently discharged, with the ball hitting a woman in the temple, about 35 meters (115') away and tho bloody she was otherwise unharmed.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-15-2020).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Air weapons are pretty much limited to whatever the burst test limit of the cylinder is, usually around 4,000psi or lower. There are federal restrictions in this country but I don't have them handy.

12 gram CO2 cylinders like the ones used by that toy are a lot lower pressure.

IIRC, a 12 gram cylinder gages approx. 1,000 PSI @ 80 degrees F.

Additionally, the phase change of CO2 from compressed liquid state in the cylinder to released gas causes very significant cooling.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-15-2020).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slingshots and slingbows are something I have thought about.
Wonder when they'll try to ban Y shaped things, rocks, and latex...

-

He shoots at the 6 min mark:
Results about 14 mins.

PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2020 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know about dieseling Don. Remember what country I live in.

If you really want to have some fun, put a couple drop of gasoline or a good shot of wd40 down the aperture before closing it.

No it's not good for the seals. No it's not exactly legal (or illegal either ). And yes in the wrong area it's going to catch unwanted attention.

But it works a whole lot better than 3 in 1.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't use air guns. No need for them.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Now THAT would certainly be cause for a revolution!

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2020 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

12 gram CO2 cylinders like the ones used by that toy are a lot lower pressure.

IIRC, a 12 gram cylinder gages approx. 1,000 PSI @ 80 degrees F.

Additionally, the phase change of CO2 from compressed liquid state in the cylinder to released gas causes very significant cooling.

A lot of the stuff we can buy over the counter here is identical to US models, except the air port has been changed to detune them to meet our regulations. It's about a 3 minute job to change it back if you can get your hands on the part....or drill out the one that's there. Thats why some of the sporting rifles are getting 1200 fps in the US and only 509 here.

Don't get caught with one of those, it's now legally an unlicensed firearm and treated like any other black market gun by the law.

That's what I suspect is happening here. It's advertised specs are based on a restricted aperture and the real performance takes a little tinkering. I don't have one in front of me to say for sure, but I've owned Umarex stuff before and I'll bet it's a brass screw in port.

Again I'm not near a laptop to do the math, but with the right size hole it's not hard to double or more that 360.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

A lot of the stuff we can buy over the counter here is identical to US models, except the air port has been changed to detune them to meet our regulations. It's about a 3 minute job to change it back if you can get your hands on the part....or drill out the one that's there. Thats why some of the sporting rifles are getting 1200 fps in the US and only 509 here.

Don't get caught with one of those, it's now legally an unlicensed firearm and treated like any other black market gun by the law.

That's what I suspect is happening here. It's advertised specs are based on a restricted aperture and the real performance takes a little tinkering. I don't have one in front of me to say for sure, but I've owned Umarex stuff before and I'll bet it's a brass screw in port.

Again I'm not near a laptop to do the math, but with the right size hole it's not hard to double or more that 360.

I honestly don't care.

We have the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of this country and I am well armed with real guns and real ammunition to protect my family, my property and my freedom.

We don't have to try to tinker around with toys to try to accomplish that.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2020 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neither do I, really. I'm an hour from Detroit. It's not hard, just not a good idea.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These work well sometimes....

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

These work well sometimes....

Billiard balls are highly inaccurate and ineffective.

I don't think that wash cloth is any better either.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-16-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Billiard balls are highly inaccurate and ineffective.

I don't think that wash cloth is any better either.

The combination of the two, however, can be lethal.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

The combination of the two, however, can be lethal.

I figured you'd be along as soon as you found out a rag or cloth was being discussed...

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2020 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Slingshots and slingbows are something I have thought about.

-

He shoots at the 6 min mark:
Results about 14 mins.

IIRC in many areas they are banned.

Sadly many areas the thug has more rights than the homeowner.
EVEN TEXAS has slowly changed to start the trend toward the thug and running away if you can. over popp'n a cap in their ass.
Sadly, here you are required to try to get away and only if you can't and fear for your or your families lives can you use deadly force.
I think many here have never been hit with a paint ball before even with more than a tee shirt they sting, it won't drop a person, but they are not going to know it isn't a bullet and only a paint ball air gun shooting.
Most of the thugs, we have breaking into homes/businesses are illegals that came through the states that have folks telling everyone to move away from areas that limit your 2nd am. rights/gun rights/ regulations.
funny How that works, Maybe if they stopped those crossing, the problem would be much lower.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe if there were no such thing as the Supremacy Clause of the US constitution, (Art 6 Para 2) then the border states COULD prevent illegals from crossing their lands.
Unfortunately, that clause does exist (and has since before the Civil War) and in regards to immiration along the borders, the states can do nothing more than hold illegals for the feds IF they commit a crime.
No state can legislate or implement immigration policy that does not coincide with whatever each congressional or presidential policy is in place at any given time.

The Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution invalidates (preempts) state laws that interfere with or are contrary to federal law (Article VI, Cl. 2). With respect to immigration-related matters, the U.S. Supreme Court has held that:

the regulation of aliens is so intimately blended and intertwined with responsibilities of the national government that where it acts, and the state also acts on the same subject, the act of Congress or treaty is supreme; and the law of the state, though enacted in the exercise of powers not controverted, must yield to it. And where the federal government, in the exercise of its superior authority in this field, has enacted a complete scheme of regulation….states cannot, inconsistently with the purpose of Congress, conflict or interfere with, curtail or complement, the federal law, or enforce additional or auxiliary regulations.

Private citizens or citizen groups that attempt to enforce immigration laws or prevent illegal immigration almost always find themselves in trouble with federal law, usually laws enacted by Blue state congressional majorities. They can (and do) assist US Border patrol but that's about the extent of their authority.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-16-2020).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2020 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe if there were no such thing as the Supremacy Clause of the US constitution, (Art 6 Para 2) then the border states COULD prevent illegals from crossing their lands.
Unfortunately, that clause does exist (and has since before the Civil War) and in regards to immiration along the borders, the states can do nothing more than hold illegals for the feds IF they commit a crime.
No state can legislate or implement immigration policy that does not coincide with whatever each congressional or presidential policy is in place at any given time.

The Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution invalidates (preempts) state laws that interfere with or are contrary to federal law (Article VI, Cl. 2). With respect to immigration-related matters, the U.S. Supreme Court has held that:

the regulation of aliens is so intimately blended and intertwined with responsibilities of the national government that where it acts, and the state also acts on the same subject, the act of Congress or treaty is supreme; and the law of the state, though enacted in the exercise of powers not controverted, must yield to it. And where the federal government, in the exercise of its superior authority in this field, has enacted a complete scheme of regulation….states cannot, inconsistently with the purpose of Congress, conflict or interfere with, curtail or complement, the federal law, or enforce additional or auxiliary regulations.

Private citizens or citizen groups that attempt to enforce immigration laws or prevent illegal immigration almost always find themselves in trouble with federal law, usually laws enacted by Blue state congressional majorities. They can (and do) assist US Border patrol but that's about the extent of their authority.

Bullshit, build a wall, and police it. Border states have the right to build a wall. but won't unless the fed and the whole countries tax payer base if footing the bill.
But cool story bro.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2020 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Bullshit, build a wall, and police it. Border states have the right to build a wall. but won't unless the fed and the whole countries tax payer base if footing the bill.
But cool story bro.

Give me a call.

Edit: OK, but you said you would. You told us that you would give me a call after your Hawaii trip? Do you ever follow through, or answer a question asked by another member here? Ever?

Enjoy your day.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-17-2020).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2020 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Give me a call.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 01-17-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock