Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  How much do the states actually have the right to undermine the 2nd Amendment?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How much do the states actually have the right to undermine the 2nd Amendment? by 2.5
Started on: 01-10-2020 02:55 PM
Replies: 19 (436 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 01-24-2020 08:18 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is so clear that it confirms our freedoms.

This vid is from PBS believe it or not!

You'll need to crank the volume

-

The beginning of this vid is clear:

-

Here is a thread I started about them going after 2nd Amendment rights in Virginia today. New York and other states have also walked all over the 2nd Amendment.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/124366.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

None.

The second amendment:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The tenth amendment::
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The constitution says, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
It also says, “The powers…..prohibited by it to the States, are reserved…..to the people.”

The second amendment prohibits the states from infringing on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
The tenth amendment guarantees that the people will retain those rights which are specifically prohibited to the States and not delegated to the United States.

It seems irrefutably clear and simple, but some will try to use the same convoluted “logic” that they use to blame Trump for the downing of the Ukrainian passenger jet.

Some will say, "Well, that's just your opinion." It is not an opinion. It is clearly and unambiguously written in our Constitution.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems plain to me too Willie.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

From the 103:30 minute mark

This conversation gets into it somewhat. I found it interesting.
Though it is regarding Carrying outside the home (right to bear), the arguments are pretty much the same to me as the right to keep. Its just the first stage.

The longer it goes the more interesting it gets:
The younger speaker argues the 2nd amendment isn't interpreted the same "way" as the 1st amendment.

This is from Jan 15 2019
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

None.

Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252 (1886), pretty much gave individual states the power to regulate guns apart from the Federal Goobermint but that power has eroded quite a bit over the past 134 years and was eroded a lot more by District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), but the individual states still retain a lot more authority on the matter than we should be comfortable with.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252 (1886), pretty much gave individual states the power to regulate guns apart from the Federal Goobermint but that power has eroded quite a bit over the past 134 years and was eroded a lot more by District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), but the individual states still retain a lot more authority on the matter than we should be comfortable with.

That was not the first, or last time the Supreme Court has made a bad decision. If that logic were carried forward, it would mean that the states may violate other God given rights guaranteed in the Constitution.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was not the first, or last time the Supreme Court has made a bad decision. If that logic were carried forward, it would mean that the states may violate other God given rights guaranteed in the Constitution.

The only "logic" was the prevailing attitudes during post civil war reconstruction up until the notorious 1934 Firearms Act (and few scattered thereafter)

It's taking a LONG time to roll back a lot of very bad decisions one small, very hard fought, bit at a time.

Reformation of our Federal District Courts, Federal Courts of Appeal and our Supreme Court should help speed things up.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pro 2A'er here. If the US could magically remove ALL guns instantly and permanently, I wouldn't be as concerned. Since that's impossible, I think I'll keep my firearms, thank you. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. I hope I don't have to become an outlaw.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the thing about Pandora's Box...once opened, it can never be closed.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Pro 2A'er here. If the US could magically remove ALL guns instantly and permanently, I wouldn't be as concerned. Since that's impossible, I think I'll keep my firearms, thank you. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. I hope I don't have to become an outlaw.

Except that I do believe

(and one can use either for either purpose)
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.breitbart.com/p...nst-northam-gun-ban/
According to that article, the NRA will be handing out 30 round mags (donated by Magpul) in Va today.

And Va Senate Bill 16 is evidently 'dead' (for now) but other measures were moved forward.

https://www.whsv.com/conten...-laws-566941011.html
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

https://www.breitbart.com/p...nst-northam-gun-ban/
According to that article, the NRA will be handing out 30 round mags (donated by Magpul) in Va today.

And Va Senate Bill 16 is evidently 'dead' (for now) but other measures were moved forward.

That's great. It's a fantastic advertising opportunity for Magpul. Great company.

I love Magpul PMAGS. At last count, I think I had 26 of them.

As for Virginia and the Left's gun grab there, it looks like maybe after all their boasting and bluster the Lefties little feet are starting to get a little cold.

"In the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday morning, as hundreds gathered outside the Virginia Capitol for a gun rights rally, Saslaw requested that his bill be pulled from consideration. According to media outlets present at the meeting, committee Democrats unanimously voted to dismiss the bill. Republicans all abstained from voting after arguing that it was too late to dismiss the bill since it had already been docketed."

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-13-2020).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

That's great. It's a fantastic advertising opportunity for Magpul. Great company.

I love Magpul PMAGS. At last count, I think I had 26 of them.

As for Virginia and the Left's gun grab there, it looks like maybe after all their boasting and bluster the Lefties little feet are starting to get a little cold.

"In the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday morning, as hundreds gathered outside the Virginia Capitol for a gun rights rally, Saslaw requested that his bill be pulled from consideration. According to media outlets present at the meeting, committee Democrats unanimously voted to dismiss the bill. Republicans all abstained from voting after arguing that it was too late to dismiss the bill since it had already been docketed."

Excellent!

Also, yep I've never had an issue with a Magpul Pmag.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

SB16 was stopped. However there are still a bunch of 2nd amenedment harassing things going through.

"Other proposed gun laws moving forward

After the committee voted to strike SB 16 from consideration, votes moved ahead on other proposed gun legislation.

Committee members voted on party lines, 9 to 5, to combine Senate Bills 22 and 69, which both would institute a "one gun a month" law for Virginia limiting citizens to one handgun purchase within any 30-day period, and moved those out of the committee.

Senate Bills 12 and 70, both of which would establish mandatory background checks for any transfer of firearms, including private sales, were combined as well and moved forward out of the committee.

Also on 9-5 party line votes, the committee reported SB 240, establishing red flag laws, out of the Senate Judiciary Committee
Each of those bills will move forward to the Virginia Senate for further consideration. To become law, they would need to pass the Senate, then pass the House of Delegates, then have any differences from the different chambers resolved and voted on, and then be signed into law by Gov. Ralph Northam, who has pledged to pass new gun laws

While SB 16 is effectively dead, a bill nearly identical to it remains on the other side of the General Assembly. As of Jan. 13, House Bill 961 has yet to be referred to a specific committee for any future action"

---

https://wtvr.com/2020/01/13...judiciary-committee/

Regrettably, Virginia lawmakers approved a series of measures today that will make it harder for law-abiding Virginians to protect themselves, while doing nothing to stop criminals,” said NRA spokesperson Catherine Mortensen. “We are pleased one of the most egregious gun confiscation bills was pulled from consideration. The NRA will continue our work with lawmakers to find solutions that address the root cause of violent crime, rather than punishing honest, hardworking Virginians.”

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-14-2020).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2020 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remind me, I know "some" would like to paint the civil war as "about" slavery. but it wasn't it was about state rights.
Who, lost that war???
States rights , MEH. they don't have any.
Only reason the fed won't step in is they like nothing better than the populace to be dis armed. So they'll selectively enforce .
Same reason they are allowing weed to be legal in states.
If you have a felony ,you can't own a gun. They will soon have the tech to know whom has walked into these state legal shops, and bought pot.
Part of the reason city'towns are starting to ban facial rek. technology. as that is part of the plan.
The FBI already has a network of camera's in place in front of nd around every "state" legal pot shop.
It is only a matter of time before much of the populace is disarmed because they are felons.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 01-14-2020).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2020 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know, "weaponized drones".

I am beginning to think that our government does not care about us?

MSM crap ahead...

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2020 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

None.

The second amendment:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The tenth amendment::
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Also, the Supremacy Clause in Article 6 of the Constitution clearly states the Constitution trumps state law. The US Supreme Court has the power to decide if a state law is unconstitutional. Unfortunately, when it comes to the 2nd Amendment, it seems the US Supreme Court turns a blind eye.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From an article MEM posted:

"Virginia Democrats were not dissuaded by the gun rights rally on Monday in the slightest. They moved red flag laws through the legislature just one day later, and subsequently quashed pro-gun bills that were introduced by Republicans.

“The governor and the leadership of the democrats have declared war on law-abiding citizens and gun owners and their votes today just confirmed that that’s where we’re going,” said Philip Van Cleave, President of Virginia Citizens Defense League."

https://newspunch.com/commu...inalize-free-speech/

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-24-2020).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sadly, the VA state government has turned despotic. When the peaceful options don't work, it's time to escalate.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Founding Fathers would have been up in arms a long time ago.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock