Started on: 01-02-2020 05:55 PM
Replies: 7 (181 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 01-21-2020 04:44 AM
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2020 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an older 02 Mazda Protege. Last night it started not coming out of fear when putting it in neutral. Seems like 3rd gear maybe? When I put it on reverse it is still staying in a forward gear. Is this a linkage? Clutch doesn't seem to be slipping.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2020 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely not a clutch issue.
Thinking shift linkage or shifter assembly. Check your linkage first. It’s also possible the linkage is loose or broken at the transmission.

Floor or column shift? I'm assuming floor shifter but, I'm not familiar with your vehicle.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-02-2020).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Definitely not a clutch issue.
Thinking shift linkage or shifter assembly. Check your linkage first. It’s also possible the linkage is loose or broken at the transmission.

Floor or column shift? I'm assuming floor shifter but, I'm not familiar with your vehicle.

Rams

Center console shift.
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Comming out of gear to me sounds like worn synchros. I will say that worn synchros just don't happen all the sudden but slowly start to show signs. Typically when I have seen worn synchros it happens on either a hard acceleration or gentle deceleration(under load) where it pops out of gear into meutral.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

Comming out of gear to me sounds like worn synchros. I will say that worn synchros just don't happen all the sudden but slowly start to show signs. Typically when I have seen worn synchros it happens on either a hard acceleration or gentle deceleration(under load) where it pops out of gear into meutral.

I don't think he is saying it is popping out of gear, but instead that it is stuck in gear.

Hard to diagnose with little details.
Does the shifter move normaly? Is it all loosey-goosey? Are you having to man handle it into "different gears"?

Can you see the linkage on the transmission? Does it move when someone moves the shifter?
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

I don't think he is saying it is popping out of gear, but instead that it is stuck in gear.

Hard to diagnose with little details.
Does the shifter move normaly? Is it all loosey-goosey? Are you having to man handle it into "different gears"?

Can you see the linkage on the transmission? Does it move when someone moves the shifter?

It seems like it is stuck in 3rd gear. At 0MPH I can get it into any gear, but it doesn't change anything. In neutral is still moving if I release the clutch.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the entire linkage out. Still only 3rd hard. 1 and 2 cannot launch at all even though it sounds like it shifted into. 4 and 5 are still 3rd. Reverse the lights come on. No movement of tires.

Couple little bushings were slightly worn, but I can't get them locally.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Took the entire linkage out. Still only 3rd hard. 1 and 2 cannot launch at all even though it sounds like it shifted into. 4 and 5 are still 3rd. Reverse the lights come on. No movement of tires.

Couple little bushings were slightly worn, but I can't get them locally.

Having been into only a couple transmissions, it sounds to me like you need to break the transmission apart. Based on your description, it appears you may have a bad shift fork but, don't go by my experiences. I'm a novice when it comes to transmissions. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this vehicle/transmission will speak up.

Rams

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock