6 DOF motion simulator by engine man
Started on: 12-25-2019 06:58 PM
Replies: 125 (1592 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 08-29-2020 10:19 AM
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hesitated for a long time on moving to VR, so when a used Oculus Rift CV1 showed up on Iracings forum for $150 bucks I jumped on them. Granted they are the "original" customer version and things have improved (screen door effect) they still provide enough of a mental break to get the immersion. Will be upgrading them to either the new Rift S, or the HP Reverb in the next couple of month's. Would really love to get the Pimax, but can't justify the cost.

dan
IP: Logged
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonaduce

1522 posts
Member since Oct 2002
double post

[This message has been edited by bonaduce (edited 01-18-2020).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info it really helps convince to go that route as i want this to be as real as i can get
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just started watching Le Man the series on Amazon Prime. About 20 minutes in they show Porche's simulator. You might want to look at that. It is laid out like your simulator is, but with 6 actuators.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i will have 6 but i made 2 orders of three as i did not have all the money to buy 6 all at once and got excited and ordered 3 then 3 more but now i need to order the servo motors and drivers and am right on the edge of having enough money for them $1038 for 6 then i have everything i need and i hope to order those by the end of next week so it should be up and working within the next few months
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great. I didn't know you were committing that much money to the project. But, hopefully it will actually work. I think it is just a matter of the right hardware, ie, heavy duty enough to do the job without straining. And the right kind of software to interface the programmed motions to your servo setup. Good luck with your project.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bought this controller due to it has software to do what i want it to do and i figure i will have from $2000 to $2500 in it but that is much less than the $6000 + they want for one and you still need to put a seating cockpit on top of their platform .
https://www.tindie.com/prod...o-motion-controller/
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i need someone to 3D print the enclosure for the AMC-AASD 15a controller for this i will pay you for it
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

i need someone to 3D print the enclosure for the AMC-AASD 15a controller for this i will pay you for it

Look for a local makerspace perhaps one of them could help or you could pay for a few days and make it yourself.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have looked and have not found anyone who in my area that does 3D printing or scanning as i need something scanned also but i live in a small town
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today i welded on the brackets that will hold the ball screw cnc tables that do the actuation and then ordered 1 of thee servo motors and drivers to see if it will work with the controller that i bought if it does i will order 5 more i found them on ebay new and if it works it will save me about $400

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good so far.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks i am like a little kid at Christmas my brain is is all over the place with what i am going to try first is it going to be just a rollercoaster ride or a dirt racing game or flying a plane or trophy trucks or world rally car and on and on
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2020 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well it looks like the rest of my ball screw tables will be to me on monday but i will need to stay after work if i want to mount them and make the steel pads to weld the radius rod mounts to and bolt to the actuator tables i also need to weld the adjustable feet to the base so it can be leveled and not scratch up the floors then it all comes down to getting those servo motors and drivers the disassembly paint or have powder coated
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2020 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well now i am just sitting back and saving my money to buy the servo motors and drivers as i have it all done but bolting a cockpit on top and putting the motors on it to make it move this is what it looks like right now painted with Chevy Orange
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw this the other day in the Detroit area and thought of your project.

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes i need that for my project
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2020 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
to get the motors and actuators out of the way i have decided to mount them at a 30 degree incline this will give me good motion as it gives 4 inches of rise on 8 inches of travel so the it should end up giving about the same motion as straight up and down due to as it is moving the pivot point while rising so it is straightening the rod angle as well causing it to rise even more
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good, can't wait to see and hear it in action.

Madmark, that looks almost like my racing rig at home. Not sure about the wheel support on that one though.

dan
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you in building thing like this since i am not a engineer i build by the trial and error method as if it works then great or if i need to modify something such as i do for the actuators then i do it
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2020 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok i have all the actuators welded back on and now there is not a problem with them being in the way and i like the action that they give now i just need some high misalignment rod ends as the standard rod ends do not allow enough movement as when i go about 2/3 of the travel it binds and the new ends should fix this
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i have the money to buy the motors but am afraid to buy them as i am slowing down in the shop as the chrisiss of the coronavirus and might need the money for survival
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i am counting down the hours to ordering the motors as i have had a good week in the shop and feel i can order them now and they are going on sale in 9 hours so in about 2 weeks or so i should have this moving around and i will post a video of it
Zeb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great looking project. You are fearless in getting things done. Being smart and hard-working doesn't hurt, either.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the compliments , i try to work hard and smart and i look at what others are doing and put my own twist on it and i can usually visualize things in my mind and work it kinda like someone does on a computer it is kinda weird but that is how i do my thing .
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see a video of you riding the horse.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well go to order the motors and they put a limit of 2 on them Grrrr that type of crap pissis me off so i will try to order 2 2 and 1 to get around there dumb thing
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Ok i found another source for about $30 more so i should have them by 4/28
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Well NH is on lock down now for 5 weeks i think t is a bit much
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...in about 2 weeks or so i should have this moving around and i will post a video of it

Make sure to video the very first seated test run when it catapults you across the room!

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes Patrick for your amusement i will put in a bull riding simulation if i can find one and not strap myself in and put it on the highest level of motions just so you can watch me get tossed around like a rag doll

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-27-2020).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am watching a NASCAR I race on fox right now
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Make sure to video the very first seated test run when it catapults you across the room!

please NO DRINKING before the first test.

dan
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i am finding out that the Chinese people are dishonest as they just tried to squeeze more money out of me for the motors but when i go to there listing they have not changed the shipping cost or anything but they tried to tell me shipping had gone up and i need to send more money and i have run into this with more than 1 of them in fact most of them god i am sick of there BS games

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-30-2020).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2020 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i see Iracing is on fox now as they have friday night Iracing on FS 1 or FS 2 i do like watching the iracing dirt racing and can't wait to get my simulator done so i can join in
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2020 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i see Iracing is on fox now as they have friday night Iracing on FS 1 or FS 2 i do like watching the iracing dirt racing and can't wait to get my simulator done so i can join in

I can't do the dirt racing, all though I understand the concept of turning into the slide (turn left by pointing your wheels right), I just can't get the hang of it in a simulation. On snow not a problem

dan
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2020 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have raced dirt late models and winged sprint cars but have not raced in over 13 years as i just could not afford it and this last fall i got my old sprint car frame back but i just don't have the tens of thousands of dollars to put it together never mind keep it running so i am doing this and hoping it will be close enough to make me happy
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
watched Iracing dirt racing last night on fox sports and got all pumped up and reordered the motors but have not paid yet i told them i would pay by next friday to finish the order i made sure they locked in the price so no monkey business as they have been doing
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2020 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok motor ordered and paid for again i hope it works out as i got a final price and made sure it was good as the last time they tried to change the price after ordering and paying that better not happen this time as i will be mad as i am all ready in bad mode as i do not know why but it looks like i am not getting A stimulus check and have no reason why i am not as i do not have children so no back child support no back taxes and paid them online so they have my bank account number oh well give it to someone who needs it more than me
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2020 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
here we go again story time from the seller he is starting to whine about how much he is making right after i paid
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock