Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  CYBERTRUCK by Tesla. You can order it NOW. :) (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
CYBERTRUCK by Tesla. You can order it NOW. :) by htexans1
Started on: 11-21-2019 11:45 PM
Replies: 118 (1802 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 12-24-2019 11:41 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2019 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I don't give a whit about appearances or 'styling' when it comes to pickup trucks but they do have to do the job. Even my 10 yr old generic fleet version 1500 doesn't squat down like that when I drive my little fourtrax up in the bed or even when i load a 1000 lb roll of hay in it.

Taken straight from the video..this won't work in my world, no matter what the technical advances & pleasantries provide..look where the headlight beam is pointed... It's illegal in my state to coon hunt from the highway.

No electric load-leveling?
Now that seems odd.

The more I see, the more this looks like little-more then a gimmick.

Elon Musk says Tesla has already received 146,000 orders for the Cybertruck.
https://www.businessinsider...tm_source=reddit.com

EDIT: Wichita got here first!

Originally posted by Wichita:
It hasn't been a week, and Telsa is saying that there is already has 146,000 orders (deposits) for the Cybertruck already.
Breakdown: 17% for the base single motor, 42% for the dual-motor and 41% for the tri-motor

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 11-24-2019).]

IP: Logged
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, you can load level it, but shouldn't have to do it with a little load like that...
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2019 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yes, you can load level it, but shouldn't have to do it with a little load like that...

And I shouldn't have to snort Mentos for a fresh perspective but there it is!

I guess I like the futuristic idea of this truck, but the practicality seems pretty low.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I understand it, there is a load mode that squats the rear and raises the front....
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2019 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something dawned on me; Do I like this truck because it looks like every vehicle in every 1970's-1980's Science Fiction movie I ever saw?

It seemed to be the standard futuristic shape to be applied to any standard car chassis the studio could get their hands on.

Maybe I subconsciously got nostalgia in my eyes...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

And I shouldn't have to snort Mentos for a fresh perspective but there it is!

I guess I like the futuristic idea of this truck, but the practicality seems pretty low.

Well, I live in the real and practical world so I need things that actually fit and work in that world.

I saw a news article earlier today of a European/UK 'production farm' tractor (internal combustion engine) that set a new speed record of 150mph. Big deal...not much praticality at that velocity of travel and...it sits pretty low to the ground too.

https://interestingengineer...uinness-world-record

I'd like to see what happens when it hits a fire ant mound at that speed........

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2019 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, I live in the real and practical world so I need things that actually fit and work in that world.

I'm pretty sure you just described every person on Earth.
But that doesn't discount imagination, either.

Do you put imagination in the same bushel you put play?; "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." ~ Corinthians 13:11

While I got you on the line; Have you commented here at Pennocks on your takeaway (if any) from your latest medical issues?
I remember you always worked pretty hard, always stayed active, and ate basically 1 meal a day of pretty much anything you wanted.

Was any of your problem based on that chosen lifestyle, or mostly genetic?
Would you do it all the same knowing what you know now?
Any advice on avoiding going through what you did?

Many of us here respect your opinion and i'm sure a few of us would take our aging health more seriously based on your take of what you went through.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

My 85 Jeep CJ7 has the shape of a bread box. Gas mileage to prove it.

So the (poor?) gas mileage of your 35 year old jeep is due to its aerodynamics (or lack thereof)... and not due to gearing, tire size, rolling resistance, engine condition, vehicle weight, and/or the weight of your right foot?
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well there are no complex curves so body panels are easy to reproduce.
Everything under the truck would be the same as the car with big tires.

Its ugly as sin and would have to be a great deal before I would get one, its not.

They could have gave it a better body design and still kept the aerodynamics and not had to sacrifice too much more time creating the body panels.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was expecting it to look a little more like their big trucks.

Still odd looking, but more aerodynamic. But of course, on a road going truck, that means real money. At highway speeds, over half of the power is used just to overcome wind resistance.

The Tesla tractor has a Cd of .36, which is on par with many sports cars and a big improvement over many class 8 tractors.

Ten years ago, I was doing a lot of reading on big truck aerodynamics for my job.

The second truck in the video above could benefit from wheel covers and a tail cone.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-24-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2019 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I was expecting it to look a little more like their big trucks.

Me too.
That's why I figured there must be a pretty-good reason for them choosing that slab-sided design.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Me too.
That's why I figured there must be a pretty-good reason for them choosing that slab-sided design.

I'm blaming this guy:

I have no idea who that is, but he looks like he belongs with that pickup.
(or on MTV)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvGc93dWwNg

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-24-2019).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm blaming this guy:

I have no idea who that is, but he looks like he belongs with that pickup.
(or on MTV)

So... the burly guy wearing the black Tesla Owners t-shirt who just got out of the pickup doesn't look like he belongs? Why is that, Willie?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-24-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So... the burly guy wearing the black Tesla Owners t-shirt who just got out of the pickup doesn't look like he belongs?

No, he looks like he is looking for the other guy, to beat the crap out of him.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, he looks like he is looking for the other guy, to beat the crap out of him.

Tsk tsk... such anger issues. But hey, if the little blond-haired guy is a commissioned salesman, I hope he gets what's coming to him!

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No electric load-leveling?
Now that seems odd.

The electric air compressor kicked in and the air suspension leveled it out fine...
Just not fast like one of those LA hydraulic low riders...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-24-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2019 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

The electric air compressor kicked in and the air suspension leveled it out fine...
Just not fast like one of those LA hydraulic low riders...

Thanx pal!
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why, did the compressor have to kick in and level it to begin with?
It's friggin truck that is suposed to compete with current mass produced pickups...mine doesn't have (or need) a compressor or any kind of load leveling, and most pickup trucks don't for a load that light.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's friggin truck that is suposed to compete with current mass produced pickups...mine doesn't have (or need) a compressor or any kind of load leveling, and most pickup trucks don't for a load that light.

I don't know if you guys seen the video. But it wasn't the load that caused the ass-end to go down. It did it on purpose when they open the tailgate and pulled out the ramp for the ATV. The end went down before the ATV was in there.

Elon explained it was doing this to help ease the loading of the ATV and other loads as well. It is a program that senses that you are wheeling up a load (ATV, Motor cycle, etc.).

Hopefully that explains it.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a high school prop for a play, and not a good one.
Seriously embarrassing for a legitimate automotive company.
In my opinion, it does not even look edgy or pushing style norms, it is just to ridiculous.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm pretty sure you just described every person on Earth.
But that doesn't discount imagination, either.

Do you put imagination in the same bushel you put play?; "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." ~ Corinthians 13:11

While I got you on the line; Have you commented here at Pennocks on your takeaway (if any) from your latest medical issues?
I remember you always worked pretty hard, always stayed active, and ate basically 1 meal a day of pretty much anything you wanted.

Was any of your problem based on that chosen lifestyle, or mostly genetic?
Would you do it all the same knowing what you know now?
Any advice on avoiding going through what you did?

Many of us here respect your opinion and i'm sure a few of us would take our aging health more seriously based on your take of what you went through.

Well, my 'latest' medical problems stem from a relatively old injury I got in the late 89 or early 90. Disk degeneration followed by fracture at L2 and L3 vertebrae. I've learned to put up with it over the years, and it really flares up very rarely but anything can set it back off. This time, was standing by the workbench in my shop, and twisted just slightly to one side to reach for a different driver bit for my drill and pow! Took me to my knees and had to crawl across the yard, up the back steps and into the house. Better now but at my age, and considering the risk involved, I won't have surgery done.

Th other health issues I have are:
1. Type 2 mellitus..diabetes.
2. Ischemic heart disease.
3. Idiopathic peripheral neuropathy.
4. Congestive heart failure.

Of the 4, the VA says the 1st 3 are accepted to be a result of Agent Orange exposure.

https://www.publichealth.va...ntorange/conditions/

#4, I attribute to a lot of drinking when I was younger and smoking cigs between age 42 and 65.

Would i do things differently?
1. Should never have smoked the 1st cig. Smoking simply makes the risks of everything else higher.
2. Would have given up alcohol a long time ago.

Probably wouldn't have changed my diet much at all tho. I still only eat one meal a day, but I do snack some during the day..usually a pack of cheese crackers or an orange or pear.
If I could go back in time, I would not change my work habits at all.

(Do I truly believe AO is the cause of much of my problems? I don't know..can't say for sure one way or another. Spent lots of time flying thru and landing in areas it had been sprayed but just don't know nor care about it much one way or another)

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, my 'latest' medical problems stem from a relatively old injury I got in the late 89 or early 90. Disk degeneration followed by fracture at L2 and L3 vertebrae. I've learned to put up with it over the years, and it really flares up very rarely but anything can set it back off. This time, was standing by the workbench in my shop, and twisted just slightly to one side to reach for a different driver bit for my drill and pow! Took me to my knees and had to crawl across the yard, up the back steps and into the house. Better now but at my age, and considering the risk involved, I won't have surgery done.

Don, I don't know what the limitations might be (if there are any) of this self-treatment, but take a few minutes and listen to This guy. Never know, might help!
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

It hasn't been a week, and Telsa is saying that there is already has 146,000 orders (deposits) for the Cybertruck already.

Breakdown: 17% for the base single motor, 42% for the dual-motor and 41% for the tri-motor

Barnum and Bailey sold a bunch of tickets also.

Rams
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like maryjane and Patrick have cross-posted from a thread on medical issues...

Getting back to topic of the Tesla truck...

I'm pretty sure most pickup trucks are not running full air suspension systems.

Lots of people thought the Hummer looked ugly.
Probably not your "style" either and that's OK.

Lots of people still hate the way the Fiero looks even now...
... and we don't care. We like 'em !

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-24-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lots of people still hate the way the Fiero looks even now...

Damned Communists!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like maryjane and Patrick have cross-posted from a thread on medical issues...

Maryjane and I were just responding to the discussion that Boonie initiated Here!

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2019 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tsk tsk... such anger issues. But hey, if the little blond-haired guy is a commissioned salesman, I hope he gets what's coming to him!

Now, now. That's not very Canadian. Remember, we are a polite and considerate society. We take the vermin out behind the barn before beating the pizza out of them so they can bleed and cry in private afterwards.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2019 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by blackrams:

Barnum and Bailey sold a bunch of tickets also.

Rams

Tesla isn't the first and won't be the last car company to take orders and deposits based on a semi-functional mock-up. Tucker comes to mind.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like they threw away the truck and kept the box it came in
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2019 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maryjane and I were just responding to the discussion that Boonie initiated Here!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boondawg:

Yes, it’s my fault.
I asked here because I remembered all at once that I keep forgetting to ask.

Thanx Maryjane!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 11-25-2019).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey, I totally recall that car!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like it was made from cardboard boxes and Saran wrap on a Volkswagen floor pan.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That looks like it was made from cardboard boxes and Saran wrap on a Volkswagen floor pan.

Close!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Close!

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Definitely VW torsion bar front end and pedal assembly.

I figured VW because of all the negative camber on the rear wheels. That makes it an earlier (pre-1969) transaxle.

That looks like a very uncomfortable seating position.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-25-2019).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That looks like a very uncomfortable seating position.

I suspect that's not a major consideration for a movie prop.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have previously stated that I believe in a decade or two the vast majority of vehicles on the road will be some version of electric vehicles. But, they have some engineering to accomplish before one will ever be in my garage. The Cybertruck will do almost everything my wife’s Honda Ridgeline will do admittedly. Almost. But I have no confidence in it’s reliability. It hasn’t proven itself yet. As several of my friends (who are engineers) have told me, never buy the first year or two of any vehicle. They are all produced with both known, suspected and unknown flaws that will have to be addressed in the next iteration of the vehicle. Which will also have new issues.
Elon Musk is an innovator and a salesman, that much I will give him credit for. What I won’t give him is my money until he has a proven product.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 11-26-2019).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31839 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Oops

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 11-26-2019).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2019 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Let the games begin

https://driving.ca/ford/f-1...truck-tug-of-war/amp

As I said, Musk is selling vehicles. How many used car salesmen do you trust?

Rams
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock