Started on: 11-20-2019 12:28 PM
Replies: 17 (328 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-26-2019 01:24 PM
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm cross posting this frankly because people don't really read the "Other Cars" section.

So my daughter totaled our truck (Ranger) about a month ago and we are needing to replace it. I'd like to move up to a bigger (used)truck that can handle more things, especially towing. Trying to decide between the F-150 or the Silverado 1500.

F-150 - Prefer the V8, don't know much about the turbo charged Ecoboost v6 (not a fan of Turbos).

Silverado 1500- Don't know much about this truck at all.

Any tips or opinions would be helpful

Thanks,

Dan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-20-2019 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Either will tow a Dodge Ram

Seriously, I've had both and they are about the same. Both have quirks, both are pretty reliable and toed or hauled anything I ever threw at them. I've found Fords tend to be a little more comfortable but thats just my fat azz. Both have lasted me well into the 400-500,000 KM range and neither has ever had a major malfunction on me. Pre-85 GM trucks with the 2.8 were bad news but thats ancient history.

Current truck is an F-150 XLT and it has so many power options it even wipes my butt for me then hands me a coffee.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 11-20-2019).]

DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been leaning towards the F150 since most of my truck friends drive them (theres a decent 2010 an hour south of me) but a decent 2012 1500 (seems most of my Fiero friends nearby have Chevys) just popped up (an hour east of me).

I hate car shopping

dan
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2016 F150 XLT Supercrew / short bed with Coyote V8

I love it.

My Ford F150 is likely THE best quality American made vehicle I've ever owned in my half Century of driving.

I may be trading it in on a 2020 F150 Lariat

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 11-20-2019).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:
F-150 - Prefer the V8, don't know much about the turbo charged Ecoboost v6 (not a fan of Turbos).
Any tips or opinions would be helpful
Thanks,

I had an 05 Tacoma, 4.0 V6. Got a smaller travel trailer and it pulled it just fine. Then got a F-150 with the 4.6 V8. The V6 Tacoma did a better job. The Ford was a good truck though. I now have a F-250 with the 7.3 diesel.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The newer Fords have the engine Stop/Start “feature”?
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the twin turbo 3.5 ecoboost any good? Does it tow worth a damn?
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't care what brand you get, want or desire, they will all (eventually) have electronic/wiring issues. It is, what it is.
Do your research, get what best meets the tasks you have. I'm a Cummins fan but that doesn't mean I think everyone should drive a Cummin's powered truck. If you're not towing/hauling big loads, you probably don't need a Cummins diesel.

Edited: Based on my own experience, about 80% of the broke dick trucks I transported were Fords. Usually engine and transmission/electrical issues. Take that for what it's worth.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 11-20-2019).]

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is the twin turbo 3.5 ecoboost any good? Does it tow worth a damn?

Yes and yes, even more than the v-8. I had a 2013 XLT with the coyote V8. Super fun to drive. The eco-boost tows more and gets better mileage if you’re nice to it. The key is to make sure it has a towing package. I believe that gets you a bigger radiator or a bigger transmission cooler, and larger mirrors and a factory tow hitch with a built-in trailer brake controller.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

The newer Fords have the engine Stop/Start “feature”?

From what I know, only the Ecoblow ones have that.

My son had a 2017 4 cyl. F150 Eco (twin turbo). He very quickly got fed up with the auto start/stop gimmick and shut it off.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 11-21-2019).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WBailey1041:
The key is to make sure it has a towing package. I believe that gets you a bigger radiator or a bigger transmission cooler, and larger mirrors and a factory tow hitch with a built-in trailer brake controller.

True, mostly. A tow package will also have gears and is chipped to do a better job towing and get netter mileage doing so. None of mine with a towing package included the brake controller but was wired for plug and play. Not all controllers are created equal.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 11-21-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ford of the two you listed. Every GM vehicle I ever owned in my life out of around 200, was a breakdown money pit. The exception was my 86 Fiero that I BUILT from the ground up with the Ferrari body kit. When I had a subbusiness running a limo service, I had 3 Cadillacs, 3 Lincolns and a Pontiac Bonneville stretches. The Lincolns each gave me well over 250k with very little issues, the Caddys and Pontiac, broke down on jobs routinely...at least weekly. I needed the income from the Lincolns to pay for the GM repairs till I got smart and dumped them.

With comparible drive trains, Dodge trucks will pull Fords and GMs in half. For serious towing, you HAVE to go V8 or better. Ive used my Dodge minivan with 3.1 V6 to pull full size SUVs around town, and cars clear across country. I had no problem at all towing a car from St Louis to Columbus on a full size trailer with it. In the 80s, I had a full size B200 Dodge Tradesman van with a 318 ci and a 4bbl i towed a 38' travel trailer with. So sorry, my choice would be a Dodge. ALL pickups rust out bad so thats not a pro or con. The exception would be Ford that now has an aluminum body. Ive not had to work on one since they started that. Even foreign ones like Toyota Tundra and Honda Ridgeline are rust buckets. Dont matter much how the drivetrain works if the frame and body are falling off of it.
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much weight do you want to tow? How much do you want to spend on a truck? How long do you plan on keeping the truck.

If you plan to keep a truck for a longer period what out for the CSK (cold start knock on the older GM 5.3's. On the Fords and the 5.4's they are very senative to getting timely oil changes, and failed cam phasers. Ford Eco-boosts vary but watch out for turbo seals and intake gaskets. I'm not trying to fear monger but just give some call out areas to check. If you want new/newer trucks I would stay away from the diesels; while they get great milage the payback for the ~5K (and of the three brands) isn't there until 150k or 200k miles....and you get an engine that costs mroe to fix when things go wrong...and they will go wrong with these stupid DPF systems.

I keep vehicles long term and don't want expensive maintenance bills. Whatever brands I say stay away from forced induction and get a well maintained (and documented) truck.

If I were to get a lower towing capacity truck I would look toward a GM 1500 with the newer DI 4.3. (I think rated to tow up to 7k). If I needed go get a higher capacity truck (in the 10k tow rating range) I think I would look toward the Ram tradesman series.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assumed everyone here was going to tell you 1500. Effing GM fanboys and all who forgot what GM stole from us with their bailout. You didn't really say what configuration you wanted. I am assuming from your talk about the EcoBoost you are wanting newish. I am for sure a Ford fan boy in this regard. I know Ron loves his Cummings diesels, but if you were even close to that market segment you wouldn't be asking about 1/2 ton trucks or driving a Ranger. New Ranger is coming out and is as capable as older 1/2 ton trucks, from what I have read. Years and tech, obviously not in the same league as a new one. I have never driven the EcoBoost and if I am not wrong there are a couple of different sizes and twin or single turbo? A customer of mine had(s) one. It was maybe 2012? He loved it. I have another friend with a single cab Coyote, I don't get it. It doesn't, as far as I know, tow better than the 5.4 or EcoBoost and it certainly doesn't get better gas mileage. As far as faster I had a 6.0L turbo diesel that something was done too and it would eat tires and bark 2nd. This truck easily stomped the Coyote and the first year 6.7L diesel. My lariat 5.4 got at best just under 22MPG. I always beat EPA and have millions of miles clean track record. This too me was low, but apparently was good. That truck sucked for towing. I had a 4.6 single cab that was long in the tooth when I got it and I put another 100K on it. It ran no matter what and need tons of maintenance. 19ish overloaded almost constantly. You should note I worked at and/or owned a pipe company during all this. 5.4 in Super Duty 17MPG. A pure dog. Someone else towed our goose with it once and warped all 4 brakes and rotors. I have never seen nor owned an F150 with a trailer package (actual uplifter switches and controller). All my Ford trucks have had a tow/haul on the column.

Objective views. The 1500s I have owned/driven drive much more like cars. The F150s feel more truck like. I tend to always have the bigger truck so I can't directly compare my F150 vs 1500 towing days as all my friends and I grab my Super Duties. My uncle swore the Lariat F150 (2005) towed an aluminum trailer and a classic truck great. My experience was not the same. I drove it across plenty state lines. The A/C was mediocre (for contrast my 2005 Super Duty had the coldest A/C my HVAC guy had ever seen at 26F on a hot day). I loaded only (only with travel thing, easily less than 500lbs) the bed and could only muster a 21~22MPG (I got 23MPG with about the same in one of my Super Duties). No long bed and 4 door option. Not many like 25' of truck though, but I think it is only 5.5' with 4 doors. F150 gets around snow and such better than any of my Super Duties, except 4x4. The 4x2, especially diesel, would get stuck in wet grass. Once jack knifed a huge goose in a ditch on a hill on a 2 lane highway. Also single cab F150 pulled to wet grass and got stuck in that ditch too. They for sure need weight. On converse my buddy drove his Dodge 1500 to bring me a 30 pack of beer while my 2WD Super Duty was stuck in front of my neighbors house idling for hours until we could get it plugged in. I ended up helping a friend mess up their alignment and maybe frame trying to yank me out with their Jeep. That was stupid on their part though. Previous boss, YEARS ago, had the 6 cylinder 5 speed and said 23MPG. For me that sucks ass. Single cab. No options. To my knowledge never towed anything more than our smoker. If I found one of those for $1000 in good condition, sure, otherwise I think it was only 12-15k new. Obviously my vote is Ford. Owned plenty of almost every engine and option. If I could buy any? I'd buy a 7.3 or 6.0 Excursion. When/if a new one ever drops I'm on it. You can't find them not molested or cheap. I'd really love a 350 version in that 6.7. Likely never happen, but what am I the pope?

CliffW is nutso with talking about a "chip" . It is reprogrammed ECM/ECU. I've had "chipped" trucks. It is nothing of the same. Roger as usual talks out of his ass. Who cares what 30 years ago a manufacturer did or didn't do quality or engine wise.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2019 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I talk from experience. Ive had more vehicles than your whole family has had in 60 years moron. Youve always been one of the biggest azzes on here. Granted none were pickups, but drivetrains are drivetrains no matter what kind of truck it is. 80s full size Dodge Vans had the same under chassis as the pickups. They did so until they stopped making full size vans. My minivan 3.1 is a lot newer than 30 years old...probably newer than any of the junk you drive. You know where you can stick it right.... OMG how i hate dumb fks.
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2019 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for the info!!! We ended up getting a 2011 Ford F150 Lariat with 72k on the clock and the tow packag. The only towing I really plan to do is a Fiero to car shows when the wife wants to come and crap hauling for the family. So this should fit the bill. Has a few things that need fixed but nothing out of the question according to my mechanic who checked it out for me.

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you everyone for the info!!! We ended up getting a 2011 Ford F150 Lariat with 72k on the clock and the tow packag. The only towing I really plan to do is a Fiero to car shows when the wife wants to come and crap hauling for the family. So this should fit the bill. Has a few things that need fixed but nothing out of the question according to my mechanic who checked it out for me.

My sister has the same truck. LOL just saying its a nice truck
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of your 2 choices, you got the best in my opinion. Ill take Ford drivetrain over GM any time. If thats the Candyapple red, thats a gorgeous color. It actually looks as deep as real Kandy Kolors...so great choice.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock