James Dean, who died in 1955, just landed a new movie role by 2.5
Started on: 11-13-2019 10:28 AM
Replies: 13 (245 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 11-15-2019 03:53 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/m...ks-to-cgi/ar-AAJXm7l

"James Dean is making his return to the big screen more than 60 years after dying in a car crash, thanks to two VFX companies.

Finding Jack is a movie set within the Vietnam-era.... according to The Hollywood Reporter. Dean isn’t the leading role, but his performance as “Rogan” is “considered a secondary lead role,” according to the Reporter. Finding Jack marks the first movie that Dean will star in since Giant in 1956, just one year after his iconic role as Jim Stark in Rebel Without a Cause.

Magic City Films, the company producing the movie, obtained the rights to Dean’s image from his family. The goal is to re-create “a realistic version of James Dean,” the film’s directors told the Reporter. To do so, they’re working with Canadian VFX studio Imagine Engine and South African VFX company MOI Worldwide. Dean’s body will be fully re-created using CGI technology, and another actor will voice his lines.

It’s unclear exactly what any of this means

“We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan, which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean,” co-director Anton Ernst told the Reporter.

It’s unclear exactly what any of that means, especially since there are thousands upon thousands of living actors who are probably capable of performing the role. Acquiring the rights to actors’ looks and using them for CGI re-creation purposes isn’t totally new — just look at Furious 7 or Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — but it is a conversation Hollywood is taking more seriously than ever. Vox critic Alissa Wilkinson touched upon the problem this faces in her review of Gemini Man, Ang Lee’s action movie that stars Will Smith and a younger version of Will Smith who plays his clone. Wilkinson wrote:

So just imagine the options if you could perfectly recreate any actor — and the potential savings (and earning potential) for a movie studio that owns the rights to, say, the perfect replica of Keanu Reeves or Angelina Jolie or Will Smith, all while sharing licensing with the actor’s estate. You might doubt it will ever be done; I would put money on it happening in the next decade, unless somehow the industry unions intervene. It’s already happened before, with actors like the late Peter Cushing recreated for Rogue One. And if you can recreate actors, you can create them, too, replacing the need to hire people to play all of those parts where nobody knows the actor’s name anyhow.

Was James Dean really the only actor who could play this role? Doubtful. Whether it’s a marketing stunt that will draw attention to the movie or the future of cinema, it’s representative of a world we may soon be living in."

-

I don't know. It's weird.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-13-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2019 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Goes back a few years since I read the article, but courts are more and more rejecting photo and video evidence unless it's supported in other ways. Too easy to fabricate.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is the Palace walk-in
On the main street of Texas
That's never seen the day
Of G and R and Xs
With that '62 poster
That's almost faded down
And a screen without a picture
Since Giant came to town.........

Now, (if even that much is left)

Guess it (cgi James Dean re-creation) answers the David Essex question "where do we go from here...?"

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-13-2019).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hope one day all actors are put out of a job.
Then the machines will have real control and the start of the revolution can begin.

When the Monkeys started to complain and wanted to play their own music they were replaced with a cartoon.
As CGI gets better and better we will see more of this.
Then one day you will actually be in the movie
I have no issues being in a VR game for hours at a time. It would be fun to watch a movie where I could walk around and view the action from different view points.
Jack me in I'm ready to go lets play

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by maryjane:[/B

Guess it (cgi James Dean re-creation) answers the David Essex question "where do we go from here...?"

Nothing new under the sun perhaps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I hope one day all actors are put out of a job.
Then the machines will have real control and the start of the revolution can begin.

When the Monkeys started to complain and wanted to play their own music they were replaced with a cartoon.
As CGI gets better and better we will see more of this.
Then one day you will actually be in the movie
I have no issues being in a VR game for hours at a time. It would be fun to watch a movie where I could walk around and view the action from different view points.
Jack me in I'm ready to go lets play

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Exactly.

How do we know what is real? Do we believe what we see on the News, FaceBook.. Twitter?
I haven't seen a debate or candidate in person in years. Most people haven't been out of the state they were born in.
What if the machines are already in control and managing us by manipulating what we see.
I just want to put it out there that I support our new overlords and James Dean....

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2019 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exactly.

How do we know what is real? Do we believe what we see on the News, FaceBook.. Twitter?
I haven't seen a debate or candidate in person in years. Most people haven't been out of the state they were born in.
What if the machines are already in control and managing us by manipulating what we see.
I just want to put it out there that I support our new overlords and James Dean....

Virtual James Dean for prez then?
This could be the campaign song.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2019 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Exactly.

How do we know what is real?

For those that ponder "are we in a simulation"

What about - life on earth as a "simulation" of sorts, our souls are our real entities...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2019 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2019 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won't be surprise that SAG and others likely already have rules for this.
Why? This type of issue has come up before like they edit movies etc. so Fred Astaire danced w/ a Vacuum Cleaner. (old Dirt Devil ads.)
Because? SAG and others want money and control.

Is why Robert Rodriguez quite Director's Guild for violating rules to add Quentin Tarantino as director to one of his movies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...z#Mainstream_success

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2019 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

I won't be surprise that SAG and others likely already have rules for this.
Why? This type of issue has come up before like they edit movies etc. so Fred Astaire danced w/ a Vacuum Cleaner. (old Dirt Devil ads.)
Because? SAG and others want money and control.

Is why Robert Rodriguez quite Director's Guild for violating rules to add Quentin Tarantino as director to one of his movies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...z#Mainstream_success

Its cool I want to replace all of the actors.
Replace all of them with better looking girls, bigger dudes and uglier bad guys.
Perhaps some fricken sharks with laser beams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2019 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its cool I want to replace all of the actors.
Replace all of them with better looking girls, bigger dudes and uglier bad guys.
Perhaps some fricken sharks with laser beams

Paging Dr. Evil....paging Dr. Evil....
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2019 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Paging Dr. Evil....paging Dr. Evil....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock