Started on: 11-08-2019 08:06 PM
Replies: 14 (361 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 11-11-2019 05:49 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2019 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although this took place in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised to see this tactic be applied to students in schools in the US as the culture of agree with me , or you will be punished that is being pushed by the "wackos" in the school systems that accept deviant life styles.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2019 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CityNews Winnipeg went to the school where the incident took place to independently verify what happened, but that’s when the facts of the story started to shift. Students told CityNews no one was forced to wear rainbow poppies, and that students were suspended because of a poster they hung up around the school protesting rainbow poppies, which bordered on hate speech.

Upset about the rainbow poppy? You've been duped by fake news
Mark MacMahon, Mark Neufeld and Espe Currie, for Vancouver "News 1130" (Canada); November 8, 2019.

SELECT ("CLICK") to reveal the complete and unaltered original text of the News 1130 report

Or go directly to the News 1130 report online:
https://www.citynews1130.co...-duped-by-fake-news/

This one ain't over. Or at least, there seem to be at least two emerging narratives with some sharp differences about exactly what went down at Stonewall Collegiate High School in Manitoba.

You have to wonder about Stonewall Collegiate High School. Is there a literal connection with the 1969 Stonewall Riots in New York City that became part of the origin story of the contemporary gay rights movement?

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-09-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2019 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good advice in the rebuttal article.
Many journalists should heed that same advice and actually write their stories, rather than just copy and paste others' tweets.

Twits....
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2019 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Good advice in the rebuttal article.
Many journalists should heed that same advice and actually write their stories, rather than just copy and paste others' tweets.

Twits....

There are no real journalists anymore. Just social media regurgitaters. I call them "Urinolists" these days.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2019 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

There are no real journalists anymore...

I disagree.
It’s just that some are willing to take shortcuts in the pursuit of fortune & fame.
The old guys were in it for honor & respect.

The new guys are in it for branding.
Creating a ever-expanding revenue-generating image.
Something they can maybe turn into something else in the future.

The idea of “telling the truth because it’s the right thing to do” don’t seem to be as lucrative as reinforcing already held ideas in different segments of the population by telling them exactly what they want to hear.

They’re only selling what we buy.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2019 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I disagree.
It’s just that some are willing to take shortcuts in the pursuit of fortune & fame.

The idea of “telling the truth because it’s the right thing to do” don’t seem to be as lucrative as reinforcing already held ideas in different segments of the population by telling them exactly what they want to hear.

You say you disagree but then you give examples of why they are not real journalists
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2019 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I disagree.

Yeah kinda confusing me here Boonie.. You pretty much made my point for me, so what do you disagree with?

Don't get me wrong, those reporters that travel to war zones, and stuff around the world, those are real journalists..

But the idiots you see on tv (doesn't matter what network it is, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, ect) they are all full of crap. Each one pulls its own narrative, not usually facts and real truth. And all of their "investigative reporting" consists of reading facebook and twitter posts.. Its been this way for years and years. Its especially bad now, gets worse as time goes on. But once the news became corporate controlled, ratings became top priority. Or these days "clicks" are the top priority. Traditional news media is slowly dying. They will do whatever they can to attempt to survive, and keep that money train moving.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 11-09-2019).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2019 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The media used to tell us that something happened and we had to decide for ourselves what it meant, now they tell people what to think about something and we have to decide if it actually happened.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2019 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah kinda confusing me here Boonie.. You pretty much made my point for me, so what do you disagree with?

I disagree with the statement "There are no real journalists anymore".

Don't get me wrong, those reporters that travel to war zones, and stuff around the world, those are real journalists..

The above is almost word-for-word the sentence I failed to provide in wrapping-up my opinion.
I got sidetracked when I saw my sweet lil' puppy girl dragging blood across the couch cover.
It seems my lil' girl is a woman now...her first heat!
She goes in for "fixing" later next week.

But Jonesy's quote was exactly where I was headed.
Real journalists still exist.
I just didn't get there!

Sorry pal!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2019 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What the Plastic Media will not show you ... https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sGwhs_1573339574
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2019 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:
This one ain't over. Or at least, there seem to be at least two emerging narratives with some sharp differences about exactly what went down at Stonewall Collegiate High School in Manitoba.

You've been duped by fake news.

It is so easy to say we have been duped by one who was duped.
From your link :

CityNews Winnipeg went to the school where the incident took place to independently verify what happened, but that’s when the facts of the story started to shift. Students told CityNews no one was forced to wear rainbow poppies, and that students were suspended because of a poster they hung up around the school protesting rainbow poppies, which bordered on hate speech.

Let me guess, ... your day job is not as a detective, which all should be when evaluating news. CityNews talked to students, and also observed no rainbow poppies at the school. Did they talk to (from your link) ...

The tweet alleges her 17-year-old cousin was suspended from a Manitoba high school by her choral teacher after refusing to wear a rainbow poppy instead of a red one during a ceremony.

...the choral teacher ?

Did CityNews talk to the suspended students, or any other students in the choral class ? Did CityNews find out what was on the, to some, offensive poster which got them suspended ? No, they just bought what the school administration spouted it seems.

When is it ok to get suspended for ?hate speech? ? Who determines what hare speech is ? "Hate speech" is the very reason for our First Amendment ! Yet, ... these students got suspended for for a poster that ... (again, your link)

were suspended because of a poster they hung up around the school protesting rainbow poppies, which bordered on hate speech.

Again, another fail by CityNews for not investigating the poster. Is the choral teacher a homosexual ?
Was my question hate speech ? Would queer be better ? I really don't care if they are queer but they sure ain't normal. It is they that seem to be, pun intended, butt hurt.

Your link did have something you need to take to heart.
[quote]
... it’s so important that people think critically.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2019 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
[all that...]

I said (in so many words) that I wasn't ready to come to any firm conclusions about it.

I am not likely to drive any kind of investigation of this all the way to any kind of completion.

It's too far outside of my current "remit."
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2019 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I said (in so many words) that ...

Uhh, ok, you say so, .

I said (in so many words) that I wasn't ready to come to any firm conclusions about it.

You said this ... :

I am not likely to drive any kind of investigation of this all the way to any kind of completion.

Neither am I but I do find it curious. If we were to believe CityNews, who seems to believe the school administration, the suspended students dreamed that it happenend. Not likely. I more believe that there is some kind of gay acceptance agenda going on. Also, I don't remember any kind of lone wolf poster hanging happening in my High School.

I forgot to add that burning the American flag borders on hate speech. It is an accepted First Amendment right and protected.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2019 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's true, I did say

I wonder if the reaction would have been any different--maybe a little different--if I had been more careful and used quotation marks, to signify that I was replicating the banner or headline at the top of that news report. Like this:

"You've been duped by fake news."

I have become kind of lax about using quotation marks, assuming that it would be obvious that I was in "replicate" or "copy and paste" mode at that part of my message.

It's the thing that I have done here, message after message. It's like my "signature" move. It always goes like this:
  1. Banner or Headline at the top of the media article
  2. Name of the author(s) or reporter(s) who are credited with the article
  3. Name of the media venue where the article appears
  4. Date for the article
  5. Internet page link that retrieves the article

Forum member "jmbishop" called me out a few times for being lax or being non-compliant in the way that I was presenting words (and images) that I had replicated.

Where's the quotation marks?

I was just saying, in so many words, what "jmbishop" said. If I had meant it to be his exact words, then it would (or should) be:

"Where's the quotation marks?"

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-11-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock