Started on: 11-04-2019 07:15 PM
Replies: 11 (205 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-05-2019 08:05 PM
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having always worked with my hands I never had access to the correct tools.
https://urbanworkshop.net/
Lisa my girlfriend took me to this makers space to look around.
The prices are a little high but they do have an impressive amount of tools and machines.
Everything from CNC machines to 3D printers.

Has anyone ever used a Makers Space before?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They also have 5 bays to work on cars with 4 two post lifts at that location.
If I would have known about them I could have replaced my own headers and for what I paid for labor it would have been the same as 2 months fees
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-04-2019 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a community woodshop for a bit before I left the city, and wasn't impressed. Everything was an overpriced cash grab, the wait to get at the popular equipment unreal and it was full of self-appointed experts who couldn't get out of the way for longer than 3 minutes.

It was 130/mo membership plus hourly depending on what equipment you were using.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The closest I have personally seen was in the Navy. In Bremerton, Washington. They had an auto workshop for us Navy guys. It was really nice. I had a 63 Buick Riviera that has a rear wheel bearing go out on my trip from Michigan to Bremerton. I was able to replace it in that shop. I was grateful for the bay to work on it and the specialized tools I used too.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

The closest I have personally seen was in the Navy. In Bremerton, Washington. They had an auto workshop for us Navy guys. It was really nice. I had a 63 Buick Riviera that has a rear wheel bearing go out on my trip from Michigan to Bremerton. I was able to replace it in that shop. I was grateful for the bay to work on it and the specialized tools I used too.

We had the same thing in Charleston when I was in the Navy.

There was probably 15 people there Sunday and it was close to 4 pm when they close.
But Tuesday through Friday they are open 9 - 9 and they had lots of equipment.
Could probably swing a month fees to try the place out but wouldn't want to shell out more than that without having a return on the investment.
But if you can teach a 3 hour class once a week they will wave the fees. Hmm I wonder who teaches the welding class.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

I had a 63 Buick Riviera....

Boy, I'll bet you wish you still had that car.
When they first came out, they were like something out of a science fiction movie.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

When they first came out, they were like something out of a science fiction movie.

I didnt even have it and wish I still had it
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I sure do. That was one beautiful car. It had about 400 cubic inches of engine and a two speed automatic. You could either be in low or high, it didn't really care. Low would get up to 90 mph. Did several cross country trips as a sailor with that car. And at that time there were no speed limits on some of the highways in Nevada and Montana. It would cruise easily at 130 mph. I ended up getting rid of it to buy a 1959 TR-3 with a 215 cubic inch aluminum block Buick V-8 in it. 1530 lbs and 300 hp of get up and go.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe it's just me but I already have a majoirty of the stuff (at least the equipment I normally use) with no subscription. I'll save the subscription and use the $$$ to buy whatever tool I still need. To be honest I don't have an allignment rack but for the frequency that I'll ever need to I'll just pay a shop, instead of getting the equipment and leanring how todo alignments...I know it's not hard, but a guy can only do so much.

I guess I am just not open, or have been indoctrinated into the "sharing economy" yet.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

Maybe it's just me but I already have a majoirty of the stuff (at least the equipment I normally use) with no subscription. I'll save the subscription and use the $$$ to buy whatever tool I still need. To be honest I don't have an allignment rack but for the frequency that I'll ever need to I'll just pay a shop, instead of getting the equipment and leanring how todo alignments...I know it's not hard, but a guy can only do so much.

I guess I am just not open, or have been indoctrinated into the "sharing economy" yet.

I am the same way but the last 3 years I have been an apartment dweller and its hard to buy and store the same amount of tools I use to have.
I wouldn't spend a year in this place but for what I had to pay to get my exhaust replace when I moved here I could have paid for two month subscription and used their lift and tools like a compressor.
Eventually I will have a place to work on projects but for now its hard when you have no place to do the things you want to do.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-05-2019 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hear ya Jake. Did it for 3 1/2 years. Look into folding work benches, and I used a couple steel office cabinets for tool storage in there. Not great but functional for smaller stuff.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 11-05-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

They also have 5 bays to work on cars with 4 two post lifts at that location.

I remember that a long time ago (maybe 40 years or so), there used to be automotive shops here where people could rent the hoist and tools... but due to liability issues, they didn't stick around very long.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock