Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Technology: At What Point Does A Flashlight Becomes TOO Bright?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Technology: At What Point Does A Flashlight Becomes TOO Bright? by Boondawg
Started on: 10-28-2019 09:05 PM
Replies: 15 (328 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 10-31-2019 10:12 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2019 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You turn it on and your face melts?

Some of the new flashlights are pretty amazing.
But is there such a thing as TOO bright?

I dropped my flashlight and went damn-near blind.
Scary.

But just before that, the whole world was 100% illuminated...:rock:
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got one that almost melts your face. It is rated at 3500 lumens. And it is powerful and reaches out quite a ways.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2019 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a couple of them around that will melt flesh and one 3500 or 3700 linen with a strobe setting designed to melt eyeballs.

That one runs on 3 c cells so it's hefty enough to club them while they are blind.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for a decent one that will reach across the distance of say an interstate for no particular reason....

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have little use for a wide angle beam but do have several small bright narrow focused ones, most are mounted on rifle or shotguns.
(for when the zombies come)
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What i hate are those pricks that put those crazy bright white LED lights in their headlights. I can't count how many times iv had some A-hole in a truck with those lights either riding my tail and blinding the crap out of me, or just passing me going the other way and blinding the crap outta me.

I'm sorry, but if you need your headlights to be brighter than the damn sun to be able to see, then you shouldn't be driving at night!

Damn things should be outlawed.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a flashlite that is so powerful you can feel the recoil when you turn it on.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

What i hate are those pricks that put those crazy bright white LED lights in their headlights. I can't count how many times iv had some A-hole in a truck with those lights either riding my tail and blinding the crap out of me, or just passing me going the other way and blinding the crap outta me.

I'm sorry, but if you need your headlights to be brighter than the damn sun to be able to see, then you shouldn't be driving at night!

I bought some 4 x 6 LED headlights for my Fiero. They are bright, but not annoying. The reason for that is that they have several led's across the face of the headlight. This makes it a planar source of light without the bright pin point that a typical light bulb would have. Others have replaced their Fiero Headlamps with the same type of LED planar bulb with good results too.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I have a flashlite that is so powerful you can feel the recoil when you turn it on.

ROTFLMFAO

"Zombies".....................we got zombies???

I'm with Jonesy on the "Bright Lite" headlights as well

....or maybe I should wear shades for night driving? Bright enough to lite the road in front of you does NOT mean it has to blind those on the other side of the road, or the guy in front of you via his rear view mirror.....JMHO.

HAGO!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-29-2019 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

ROTFLMFAO

"Zombies".....................we got zombies???

I'm with Jonesy on the "Bright Lite" headlights as well [QUOTE]Damn things should be outlawed.
....or maybe I should wear shades for night driving? Bright enough to lite the road in front of you does NOT mean it has to blind those on the other side of the road, or the guy in front of you via his rear view mirror.....JMHO.

HAGO! [/QUOTE]

I picked up one of these https://www.tacvisor.ca/?mi...7EAAYAiAAEgLiBfD_BwE and no more glare from those things....or very little anyway.

But I still think it should be a legal and Olympic sport to try and shoot them out as they go by.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

+10, you have connected with a hatred of mine also. For me it borders, on the high side, dangerous.

I live ten miles down a narrow county road from a country town. Street light lighting is non existent. It is a narrow two lane road (one each direction) with no side striping and the no passing center striping is usually very faded. With those overly bright lights it is hard to be comfortable that I am indeed in my lane. I also do a lot of night / early morning driving so my risk factor is higher.

What to do about it ? It's gotten to the point that I do not even dim my bright lights when I see a 'blinded by the lights' yahoo coming. No one ever brights me back. Perhaps I should increase my aim higher in defense. Or get some LED driving lights and get their attention.

Evidently, there are no laws which govern light lumen output. Not that my local Barney's would have a lumen meter (I know they don't have a decible meter for noise enforcement). I remember they had laws which governed light height, and upon vehicle inspection that light aim is checked.

I guess the war is on.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember watching a film years ago about WWII nighttime aerial photography. To demonstrate the power of the flash unit that was mounted to the bottom of the airplane, they put a piece of paper a few feet away from it. The instant they hit the switch, the paper burst into flames.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2019 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For nighttime lighting, the most important thing is WHERE you put the light, not how much of it you can throw in random directions.

Too much brightness just wipes out your night vision, and you can't see anything outside the illuminated area. Those super-bright light bars on police cars are gonna get some cop run over some night, just because a passing driver couldn't see anything around him. I don't care how slow I pass those guys, I still can't see where they are, or what's on the road for the next mile until my eyes adjust.

Even overly bright headlights on YOUR car will keep you from seeing anything outside the beams. I had to teach everyone in my family to turn down the instrument panel lights, too.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2019 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2019 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

+10, you have connected with a hatred of mine also. For me it borders, on the high side, dangerous.

I live ten miles down a narrow county road from a country town. Street light lighting is non existent. It is a narrow two lane road (one each direction) with no side striping and the no passing center striping is usually very faded. With those overly bright lights it is hard to be comfortable that I am indeed in my lane. I also do a lot of night / early morning driving so my risk factor is higher.

What to do about it ? It's gotten to the point that I do not even dim my bright lights when I see a 'blinded by the lights' yahoo coming. No one ever brights me back. Perhaps I should increase my aim higher in defense. Or get some LED driving lights and get their attention.

Evidently, there are no laws which govern light lumen output. Not that my local Barney's would have a lumen meter (I know they don't have a decible meter for noise enforcement). I remember they had laws which governed light height, and upon vehicle inspection that light aim is checked.

I guess the war is on.

I live in a not well lit area as well, which amplify's it, so far as dealing with it, my DD is a caddy cts, is got standard regular headlights, and i rarely ever have to use the brights on it. But if i see someone coming with those super bright led's, i usually just slow down and kinda brace for it and try not to get blinded. If someone is on my tail with them, i slow WAAAY down, cause usually i can't see worth a crap.

Now to comment kinda on what Mark said, iv seen lots of cars with LED's that are just fine, not eye burning bright. But there are lots of guys, mostly younger guys with big trucks (at least around my area, college town) Got them WAAAY to bright.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 10-31-2019).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2019 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'Bubba Trucks' is what they are called here........

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock