Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Lawsuit blames Tesla motorized door handles for death of driver stuck in burning car

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lawsuit blames Tesla motorized door handles for death of driver stuck in burning car by blackrams
Started on: 10-24-2019 12:37 PM
Replies: 10 (243 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 10-25-2019 08:32 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lawsuit blames Tesla motorized door handles for death of driver stuck in burning car

https://www.msn.com/en-us/a...hyfq?ocid=spartanntp

Tesla is facing a wrongful death lawsuit in Broward Country, Florida, claiming that the motorized door handles on the Tesla Model S prevented the rescue of the driver of the car who died after a crash. Bloomberg initially reported the news.

The crash occurred back in February this year. Omar Awan, a 48-year-old anesthesiologist, was the victim, and the suit reveals some important new details. Awan’s cause of death was determined to be smoke inhalation. He reportedly suffered no internal injuries or broken bones in the crash.

A police officer who responded to the accident initially was unable to open the doors because the handles were retracted, sitting flush with the car’s doors. The Tesla Model S features door handles that are inaccessible most of the time. They pop out from their flush position with the door when the key fob is near. They’re also supposed to automatically present themselves when the airbags deploy. Neither the lawsuit nor reports have stated whether the airbags inflated during Awan’s crash, but the aftermath of the wreckage show what looks like a high-speed collision with palm trees. The Sun Sentinel reported that Awan was traveling between 75 and 90 mph before he hit the trees, so one would expect the airbags to deploy in such an incident. Despite the high-speed nature of the crash, police say the handles never presented themselves.

Local reports at the time say the flames engulfed the car so quickly that the police officer had to back away, with Awan still stuck inside. Bystanders watched helplessly as the Tesla burned. It’s unclear what state Awan was in post-crash, but the lack of broken bones or internal injuries suggests he would have survived had first responders been able to open
because the handles were retracted, sitting flush with the car’s doors. The Tesla Model S features door handles that are inaccessible most of the time. They pop out from their flush position with the door when the key fob is near. They’re also supposed to automatically present themselves when the airbags deploy. Neither the lawsuit nor reports have stated whether the airbags inflated during Awan’s crash, but the aftermath of the wreckage show what looks like a high-speed collision with palm trees. The Sun Sentinel reported that Awan was traveling between 75 and 90 mph before he hit the trees, so one would expect the airbags to deploy in such an incident. Despite the high-speed nature of the crash, police say the handles never presented themselves.

Local reports at the time say the flames engulfed the car so quickly that the police officer had to back away, with Awan still stuck inside. Bystanders watched helplessly as the Tesla burned. It’s unclear what state Awan was in post-crash, but the lack of broken bones or internal injuries suggests he would have survived had first responders been able to open the door. If he had been conscious, one could also assume he’d have opened the door himself from the inside using the mechanical latch. Reports are also unclear about attempts to break the window and open the door from inside. We can only assume that nobody was able to get a tool in time to bust the glass — the speed of the flames was emphasized in previous reports of the crash. The lawsuit says the battery-fueled fire burned for hours after the crash and reignited several times, and that "Tesla batteries are prone to unique types of fire risk."

You can read more about the initial reports at the time of the accident here. We also dug into door handles and door locks across the automotive industry in the aftermath of this accident — Tesla isn’t the only company that uses automatically retracting door handles.
Tesla has not responded to a request for comment, but we'll update if it does.

Hmm, might want to get that issue fixed.

Rams
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am surprised that is not prohibited in the FMVSS.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't they smash the window?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Normal car crashes, first responders can't open the doors, because they're locked. What do they do? Smash the windows and open from the inside.

How is the Tesla different? It isn't. Smash window, open car.

This story was posted a couple days ago shortly before Tesla was expected to report losses, in an attempt to further drive down the stock price. Tesla ended up reporting a profit, and the stock was up almost $50/share before the market opened this morning.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sigh.....there is a problem that uniquely presents a conundrum in a fire within a closed up vehicle..
I was witness up close to a man burning in a car crash around 1983-84. It happened on a long bridge over the Brazos River in Central Texas.

The wreck had already happened, but barely when I drove up on the bridge..I could see the skid marks wandering back and forth across the 2 lanes and could see chunks of concrete that the vehicle had knocked loose from the guard rails. I parked behind the last car in line and ran up to see thick black smoke pouring out...IIRC, it was a late model 4 door Regal...maybe a cutlass..don't remember. Smoke was so thick you couldn't see inside the car but the windows were up and doors locked and the metal and glass was hot. No flames visible anywhere.
There were a few men attempting to get into the car and I ran back to my truck..about 4 cars back to get my fire extinguisher and just about the time I got back, one of the guys chunked a piece of concrete thru the driver's side window.

WHOOSH!!!

The second the glass broke and air hit the inside of the car, it erupted into a huge fireball. You couldn't approach the car it burned so quick and so hot. All that plastic, vinyl, insulation and upholstery foam had just been smoldering and all it needed was some more oxygen. Flash fire. Hopefully, the driver was already dead before the fireball. I figured the driver had either fallen asleep on the bridge or had some sort of medical problem and his foot nailed the accelerator pedal careening left and right until he hit a steel girder.
VFD truck arrived a few minutes later, put out the fire and you could see one occupant, burned black slumped over the steering wheel.

I've often read, that the same thing can happen to aircraft, especially airliners that crash but don't explode or break up. All the 'plastic' puts off volatile and incendiary fumes/gasses that are just waiting for more O2.
Like this:

https://www.wcpo.com/news/o...gency-landing-at-cvg

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-24-2019).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems like a locked door on any car would have presented the same problem?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, if the driver was incapacitated.
If rescue is going to be successful, better do it as soon after the crash as possible.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"...the speed of the flames was emphasized in previous reports of the crash. The lawsuit says the battery-fueled fire burned for hours after the crash and reignited several times, and that "Tesla batteries are prone to unique types of fire risk."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/1...c-safety-agency.html

https://www.livescience.com...-cleanup-danger.html

https://www.insurancejourna...018/06/27/493366.htm

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 10-24-2019).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On a recent trip, (on I 20 near the MS/AL line) I saw a line of cars up in front of me, everyone was moving to the right into the emergency lane, there was a plume of black smoke coming from something. I could feel the heat from about six cars lengths away and I was two full lanes over. I was looking for a way to pull over, I almost stopped in mid-traffic to rush over there. As it turns out, that would have only blocked traffic so the real help would not be able to get through.
Just as I was about three vehicles from the burning Toyota, the FD arrived. There was someone in the car but, the first thing the Fire Fighters did was grab their hose and try to douse the flames. They didn't even try to get into the car. Knowing I would just be in the way, I continued on down the road.

I hadn't traveled half a mile when I heard a loud explosion, looked in my rear view mirror and saw a large black cloud rise into the sky. No idea what really happened but, I tell the story as to what I witnessed. Told my son about it, he's a Fire Fighter/Para-Medic. He told me that they have a big issue with mobile meth labs and the explosion I heard was most likely a meth lab blowing up. How all that relates to the Tesla law suit and not being able to open it's doors is way over my head but, the thought crossed through my mind that controlling the fire in the situation I saw may have been the much more appropriate and safest thing to do. Don's story would seem to re-enforce that thought.

I have a lot of respect for Fire Fighters and LEOs, situations that make me want to run the other way are the same situations where I would see them running toward the danger.

Rams
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Omar Awan, a 48-year-old anesthesiologist

Maybe he fell asleep.
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

sigh.....there is a problem that uniquely presents a conundrum in a fire within a closed up vehicle..
I was witness up close to a man burning in a car crash around 1983-84. I ran back to my truck..about 4 cars back to get my fire extinguisher and just about the time I got back, one of the guys chunked a piece of concrete thru the driver's side window.

WHOOSH!!!

The second the glass broke and air hit the inside of the car, it erupted into a huge fireball. You couldn't approach the car it burned so quick and so hot. All that plastic, vinyl, insulation and upholstery foam had just been smoldering and all it needed was some more oxygen. Flash fire.

Yes, known as a backdraft. The complete opposite of snuffing a fire. They make CO2 fire extingishers.

Carbon dioxide extinguishers work because carbon dioxide molecules are heavier than oxygen molecules. When the liquid carbon dioxide inside the extinguisher expands into a gas, the carbon dioxide pushes out any oxygen surrounding the fire. Without oxygen available to fuel the chemical reaction, the fire goes out quickly.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock