Started on: 10-24-2019 07:22 AM
Replies: 7 (192 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-24-2019 04:31 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How would I check it ?

I can't hear videos, nor online streaming. It seems as though everything is un-muted. I am sure it is not the monitor as it is also my TV.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2019 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turn the volume up ?

Seriously, try a reboot. My Acer laptop does it ever do often, and it's something in the services menu that just quits. Shut down and restart fixes it.

Could be worse. My Toshiba likes to shut down and go on a 10 minutes strike whenever it feels like it. Think it's after free coffee benifits.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 10-24-2019).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:
Seriously, try a reboot. My Acer laptop does it ever do often, and it's something in the services menu that just quits. Shut down and restart fixes it.

That fixed it, thanks. I will give you a neg, .

What causes it ? Sound card ?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2019 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With mine it just doesn't get along with W10. Some sort of driver or services conflict that shuts it down.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

What causes it ?

Bill Gates. He is an evil, wicked man.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

That fixed it, thanks. I will give you a neg, .

What causes it ? Sound card ?

You almost assuredly don't have a "sound card" so to speak. Those really fell out of use decades ago except in commercial use and the like. I see you have it fixed, drivers fail and get conflicts. Regular restarts can help this. It isn't unheard of for the sound to quit working altogether, but pretty uncommon. Typically a shock to the MOBO that causes such. If you have plugged and unplugged HDMI monitors (IE sound routing through that cable) I have had issues with this making Windows "confused".

At a computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: “If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.”
In response to Bill’s comments, General Motors issued a press release (by Mr. Welch himself) stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a manoeuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought ‘Car95’ or ‘CarNT’, and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single ‘general car default’ warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say ‘Are you sure?’ before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car’s performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the ‘start’ button to shut off the engine.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a manoeuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought ‘Car95’ or ‘CarNT’, and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single ‘general car default’ warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say ‘Are you sure?’ before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car’s performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the ‘start’ button to shut off the engine

and
14. GM would go bankrupt and need a giant govt taxpayer bailout.......oh...wait...
(maybe CliffW was just suffering from bouts of temporary deafness..... )

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-24-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can try updating sound drivers from system or sound chip maker's site. Unless they have a better driver, MS default drivers other have problems.
Some drivers are available thru M$ Update but time I allow one to install from that has problems and need to remove.
About the one thing that ever worked thru M$ update system are old HP printer drivers.

WinX has many problems because Win8 and 8.1 had most of same problems and WinX name change and constant force upgrades didn't help this time.
Very Likely most problems will Never be fix because WinX is in permanent Beta release at best. If anything it will get worse like 2018 fall release even deleted user data. If you have Win10/X and don't backup to offline drives... expect to lose data next time M$ hiccups again pushing an update or an feature upgrade.
Any thinks 10, the OS as a Service, is great just have no clue or are a "Fan Boy" often w/o a clue or worse a Shill getting money etc to be a "fan." Remember Most trade rags/sites get a huge payout from M$ for ads etc. and won't cover most problems or M$ pulls ad money from them.

Originally posted by williegoat:
Bill Gates. He is an evil, wicked man.
Gates hasn't run M$ in many years. He's been off player "Look at Me the Good Guy"
Balmer left too.
Current CEO is far worse then either and trying to be Apple/Google w/ Wall Garden using "Universal Interface" formerly known as Win8 Metro and apps paying M$ a huge cut.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-24-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock