Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anyone have experience with the Chevy 2.2 liter in the 2007 Malibu?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone have experience with the Chevy 2.2 liter in the 2007 Malibu? by DanDamage
Started on: 10-18-2019 06:49 AM
Replies: 7 (207 views)
Last post by: DanDamage on 10-31-2019 10:20 AM
DanDamage

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2019 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought a 2007 Malibu with only 102k miles. I have 2 issues, first it has an oil leak, looks like from where the starter is in the front. Second my electronic power steering malfunctions in the rain making me think I have a wire exposed somewhere. Any advice would be appreciated thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2019 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil leak I'm no help, but on the steering try checking and resealing all the firewall connectors. Years ago I had a firebird that lost radio and lights every time I hit a puddle and got spray under the hood. Did all the connectors I could find and that pretty much solved it.

About 1999 had the same issue with a Geo Storm ignition. It just wouldn't start in the fog, damp or rain, and again it was moisture getting into the connectors. Common problem on those things. Seems to be a long running failing at GM

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 10-18-2019).]

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks on the PS advice I also suspected the same. The car seems to have been sitting for years in a hot s. Fla yard I'm up in the Appillachian mts now, I covered up so much exposed wires I almost used a full new roll and the old plastic covers were so brittle they'd break upon touching them. The car was not leaking when I was in Florida it only has 102k when I bought it, when I brought it up here in the mountains it started leaking crazily just weeks later where I had to put about a half a quart a week I believe it was, now it's suddenly mysteriously stopped which makes me think something with the oil filter , I hope. On a good note though the power steering works now in the rain.

Anyone know if I can pressure clean the aluminum 5 spoke rims before repainting them black? I have five rims only one has remained black the other four that were on the car exterior are all rust colored

[This message has been edited by DanDamage (edited 10-28-2019).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2019 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanDamage:

Ok thanks on the PS advice I also suspected the same. The car seems to have been sitting for years in a hot s. Fla yard I'm up in the Appillachian mts now, I covered up so much exposed wires I almost used a full new roll and the old plastic covers were so brittle they'd break upon touching them. The car was not leaking when I was in Florida it only has 102k when I bought it, when I brought it up here in the mountains it started leaking crazily just weeks later where I had to put about a half a quart a week I believe it was, now it's suddenly mysteriously stopped which makes me think something with the oil filter , I hope. On a good note though the power steering works now in the rain.

Anyone know if I can pressure clean the aluminum 5 spoke rims before repainting them black? I have five rims only one has remained black the other four that were on the car exterior are all rust colored

If the wheels are alum. the rust color is brake pad dust and rotor material.
I'd have them sand blasted before you repaint if a good cleaning does not remove the brake dust/dirt from the wheels.

The oil leak. do an oil change with the high mileage oil it has stuff in it to help old seals, and gaskets, reseal. not ideal but works.

Can't help on the p/s. but is the motor under the dash,? or near the rack under the hood?
If under the dash, check to see if your windshield is leaking when it rains, Also check that the heater core isn't leaking, yes the core is most times on the pass side ,and the steering on drivers side, but the bcm (body control module) and it's wiring can be anywhere.

one last thing, if this car has a sunroof, the drain hose(plastic) most likely is done for from the heat. and the sunroof can drain the water down the front of the roof and a pillars, dash/etc. as most newer vehicle the headlinder is coated boarding or plastic with fabric over that, the water will not show on the headliner.
replacing said drain hose is, well, fun.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 10-30-2019).]

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2019 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Frugal , I got the Power steering all patched up it was the exposed wires.

Thanks for the tip on the high mileage oil I already had bought just that and thought I made a mistake in buying that. It's so weird that in Florida it didnt leak
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2019 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Colder temperatures... You got a lot more expansion and contraction now than you did in Fla. The gaskets and seals do the same thing Mr. Happy does.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 10-30-2019).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2019 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Colder temperatures... You got a lot more expansion and contraction now than you did in Fla. The gaskets and seals do the same thing Mr. Happy does.

Ya, problem is gaskets and seals get stiff, and don't like to expand and contract. as they are hard, so they contracted slower and you get a leak, or don't contract enough and always leak,
the high mileage oil softens the seals some. but in the end ,long term it will ,the leaks come back. but most vehicles don't last long enough to worry about it.
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2019 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Lmao

It scienceing

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock