Started on: 10-05-2019 10:11 PM
Replies: 35 (620 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 10-25-2019 07:02 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have a problem.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/a...gv7h?ocid=spartanntp

How Grappler Aims to End Police Chases Safely (W/Video)

Are you easily mesmerized by reruns of World's Scariest Police Chases or compelled to click on YouTube pursuit videos? One such all-night binge session, ending with a video of a serious T-bone crash with a civilian, left Leonard Stock unable to sleep. Restless, he germinated the idea for a tool to help law enforcement officers end such chases more safely.

His idea was a vehicular lasso to grab a perp's vehicle by the tire. A roofing contractor by trade, Stock was naturally handy and a proficient welder, so he began prototyping the concept on his own vehicle. He quickly confirmed his theory that a moving vehicle's spinning tire would indeed pull a loop of tow-strap material around itself if said strap could be forced into firm contact with it.

That prototype led to many iterations, all of them self-financed by Stock and his lucrative house-flipping business in the booming Phoenix metro area. His final Grappler design uses 2-inch nylon webbing with a 20,000-pound test strength; in many instances it's doubled for a 40,000-pound capacity.

The webbing forms a "ladder" net of sorts. The sides of the ladder are about 5 feet long and consist of doubled-up webbing with metal rings that connect to six 52-inch-wide "rungs." The front-most rung includes some pads to improve tire engagement in the rain.

The tether connecting the webbing to the police vehicle varies in length to suit the particular agency's needs and is accordion-stitched in such a way as to break away gradually as the vehicle is brought to a halt. The typical extended length of 30 to 40 feet starts out at 15 or fewer stitched feet. (The net must be replaced after each capture.)
How does the lasso reach the bad guy's car? At the press of a button in the police vehicle, two vertical bars hinge downward. Gas struts then fold open a second length of steel L-channel in each bar, pulling the net ladder out of its stowage cubby and into position. (Note that the Grappler, which weighs 180 pounds—similar to the strongest bull bars—works well as a push bar, though heavy bumps can compromise the deployment of the net.)

The police vehicle then drives up behind the suspect in a police chase, needing only 7 inches of ground clearance at the back of the vehicle, after which the contraption can ride down the bodywork to a lower clearance at the wheelhouse. A 5-mph closing speed is enough to engage the Grappler on a tire, then the net typically tangles and ties itself to the rear axle, stopping the wheel and often rendering the vehicle undrivable. You just roped that baddie, sheriff.

Pretty darn cool in my opinion. Way to many stupid kids and old men think they are safe at high speed and apparently don't understand the danger they present to others on the road. Yeah, I've been guilty before but, I grew up or should I say matured. Will say that I have no problem with others driving within reasonable safe speeds but, as I said, there are some out there that simply lack good judgement.

Rams
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spin a 180° and smack that cop in the nose.
Then run like heck and spend a LOT of time behind bars.

Or, dont do stupid stuff.....
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2019 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In another 10 years, every car will probably be able to be shut down remotely.
I have no doubt real-time tracking is already in play.

Even the wilderness is no guarantee anymore:

Are the days of "anonymity" over?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 10-05-2019).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Until someone gets hurt.

They didn't show what happens if the car slams into reverse
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a bit confused. Your thread title and closing remark don't seem to jive with the intent of the device. The device is intended to end "police chases" safely. Someone who is excessively speeding but pulls over if a cop gets behind them need not be advised at all. Likewise, someone who runs from a cop but was not speeding when the cop went to stop them, need be advised. So I'm wondering where you drew the conclusion that this is in someway was aimed to target those speeding excessively and not those who are running from the cops?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-06-2019).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2019 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This tool, came into the news a few years ago.
the liability using one. eck.
most vehicles are not solid axle. and ripping a wheel off, and making the car uncontrollable isn't the brightest move.
Even worse on the all wheel drive vehicles that seem to be the fad.
OBIII will have a way to allow the cops to shut down the vehicle.
Truth be known, they can do it now. Any new vehicle that connects to wifi for entertainment ,Also downloads firmware updates/changes.
Mopar/gm/ford/toyo/Honda/kia/mazda/kundi/nissian/etc all can be shut down asap , NOW. just need to be able to get into the network to do it. g.m. has onstar with folks at a call center 24/7/365 so, it be easy to get them to shut it down once ,it becomes law that they would have to if asked by a police dept officer. or more likely the "service" handing over a log in for the dept. to do it themselves as need.
all they need is the keys from all the oems to log into the network of the vehicle updates/etc and it be remote shut off.
They can do this today. they just need to work out the legal kinks to make it happen.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

In another 10 years, every car will probably be able to be shut down remotely.
I have no doubt real-time tracking is already in play.

This is my thought as well. Cars with OnStar can already be shut off remotely, and that has occurred before. It's just not a "tool" that the police necessarily have that they can activate at will. I suspect though that something of the sort will be available, if not mandated at some point in the near future.

All it takes is for one child to be injured or a person to be killed in a chase, and the right person to sue and make a stink, and Congress will pass a law authorizing a mandate for remote shut-down of vehicles.

People can already be tracked so long as they have a cell phone on them though, which everyone does. Even when it's shut off or in airplane mode... the phones almost always still keep track of where they are by pinging the cell towers, and all you need is three to get triangulation data.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I'm a bit confused. Your thread title and closing remark don't seem to jive with the intent of the device. The device is intended to end "police chases" safely. Someone who is excessively speeding but pulls over if a cop gets behind them need not be advised at all. Likewise, someone who runs from a cop but was not speeding when the cop went to stop them, need be advised. So I'm wondering where you drew the conclusion that this is in someway was aimed to target those speeding excessively and not those who are running from the cops?

The thread title is intended to get "Excessive Speeders" to notice so that the device would not have to be used. I'm all for using such a device to stop those who would "run" from the law. There are folks on this forum who apparently believe they are "Experts in high speed" driving and apparently don't see themselves as a danger to others on the road. Hope that explains it for you.

In reference to vehicles with devices/technology such as OnStar, I know several folks that have vehicles that are of older vintage without such technology who drive excessively fast and their vehicles could/would be subject to use of such a device. Personally, I don't care how fast someone is driving if they are alone on an open/empty road or, on a track but, if they endanger others while doing so, then shut them down one way or another. How doesn't necessarily matter to me.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-06-2019).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2019 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Not fer nothing, but almost everywhere in the USA 15 over is driving to endanger . And although most will pull over, many others will not.
just say'n.
For this to work you'd have to be linded up with the vehicle you want to stop perfectly, and no one running is driving in a straight line ,they are moving around even in one lane.
What happens when you miss, and that crap goes under the cruiser and it loses control?
No need for this crap.
cruisers have dash cams. they have the make/model/plate/tag # and can follow it until a known traffic camera snaps a photo of the driver. then go get him/her later.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2019 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
This is my thought as well. Cars with OnStar can already be shut off remotely, and that has occurred before. It's just not a "tool" that the police necessarily have that they can activate at will. I suspect though that something of the sort will be available, if not mandated at some point in the near future.

All it takes is for one child to be injured or a person to be killed in a chase, and the right person to sue and make a stink, and Congress will pass a law authorizing a mandate for remote shut-down of vehicles.

People can already be tracked so long as they have a cell phone on them though, which everyone does. Even when it's shut off or in airplane mode... the phones almost always still keep track of where they are by pinging the cell towers, and all you need is three to get triangulation data.

We are tracked by cell phone, but also every vehicle with nav, is tracked.
Those easy pass toll transponders are reporting more than just when you are near a tool booth.
Many areas, have receivers That record that , your vehicle passed it, and when. for traffic studies (wink wink) .
Soon, you'll not be worrying about cops pulling you over for speeding, They'll mail it to you.
Time over distance, They'll know at the speed limit how soon you should be being crossing the receiver down the road , or in another town/city, get there sooner than you should, bing. ticket. The cost savings to towns/city's/states once this system is up and running will be huge, less cops in cruisers doing traffic policing. and all the cost that go with that.
This system is in use in 500 city/towns as traffic data study. tons more on toll roads. And that is how it is being sold, Folks in my state went ape s__t when they found out. and was told that they have no intentions of using it for traffic tickets This decade ( decade ends in under 3 months).
I have opened every toll transponder and added a micro switch between the unit and it's battery. and unless we will be going past a tool booth, it is powered down.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 10-07-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Personally, I don't care how fast someone is driving if they are alone on an open/empty road or, on a track but, if they endanger others while doing so, then shut them down one way or another. How doesn't necessarily matter to me.

Rams

I like the bazooka concept.

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I like the bazooka concept.

Hmm Gives a whole new meaning to "Defensive Driving".

Rams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think soon they would just shut the car down remotely, all these new cars are computers, and many are online in one way or another.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-09-2019).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

We are tracked by cell phone, ...

As I understand it the way google maps knows when traffic is slow and shows red in an area of a road is the speed of the individual cell phone signals people have in those vehicles.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2019 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

As I understand it the way google maps knows when traffic is slow and shows red in an area of a road is the speed of the individual cell phone signals people have in those vehicles.

Most vehicles used as daily drivers have nav. this is how they get the traffic reports/etc.
Very few vehicles used as daily's don't have nav. and the amount of them is tiny .
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2019 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd still love to see it used on a few folks I know. Some actually admit they are endangering others on the road. Then again, there are some very stupid people that think they are God's gift to speed.

Rams
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...and there are many cars out there that a cop car cant catch...simply not fast enough. How would they shoot out their net at a car going 210 mph when their car can only do 140 ? Ohio Highway Patrol has airplanes. They use Cessna 172s that top out at say 130mph. . A lot of the newer performance cars are faster by nearly 100mph, even if they are on the scene immediately. Sure theres the saying about 'cant beat a radio', but yes you can if you can disappear before anyone can find you or get a license number. Get off the road at the next intersection or ramp and disappear into traffic. If your lucky, theres always somewhere to stash yourself like a car wash , shopping center parking lot, or parking garage...or even in your own home garage (unless your speeding thru the desert).

I saw a YouTube police video of cops trying to catch a stolen Dodge Hellcat in Houston. The cops tried catching him on interstate in relays by radioing ahead to other departments all the way to Dallas. They couldnt catch him. They radioed helicopters along the way to follow and they couldnt keep up. The only way they finally caught him was he ran out of gas and bailed into an open field. Helicopter found the stalled car on the berm, then searched the field around it to direct cops to him. If hed been smarter and got close to a city, they never would have found him.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
If hed been smarter and got close to a city, they never would have found him.

If he'd been smarter, he never would have pulled such a stupid stunt. In that video, just how many close calls did he have? How many people did he endanger? Doesn't matter if he didn't hit or kill anyone, he could have easily done so. It's hard to tell when you look in the rear view mirror (prior to changing lanes) just how fast the cars behind you are traveling. You think you have plenty of time and room and all of a sudden, some dumbass speed freak blows by as you're pulling into the lane. I have started trying to get license tag numbers and call them in when I do get them. I hope they get put in jail and their licenses jerked along with their vehicles being impounded and sold at auction.

I was passed just the other day while I was doing the speed limit by some dumbasses, I was in the right hand lane, one passed me on the left and the other in the emergency lane to my right. The dude on the right cut me off in order to get back on the hard asphalt, I almost took off his left rear fender. Obviously, they were racing or maybe just playing, I don't know and honestly don't care. I don't appreciate dumbasses on the road. If they want to play and drive like idiots, do it on the track.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-23-2019).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If he'd been smarter, he never would have pulled such a stupid stunt. In that video, just how many close calls did he have? How many people did he endanger? Doesn't matter if he didn't hit or kill anyone, he could have easily done so. It's hard to tell when you look in the rear view mirror (prior to changing lanes) just how fast the cars behind you are traveling. You think you have plenty of time and room and all of a sudden, some dumbass speed freak blows by as you're pulling into the lane. I have started trying to get license tag numbers and call them in when I do get them. I hope they get put in jail and their licenses jerked along with their vehicles being impounded and sold at auction.

I was passed just the other day while I was doing the speed limit by some dumbasses, I was in the right hand lane, one passed me on the left and the other in the emergency lane to my right. The dude on the right cut me off in order to get back on the hard asphalt, I almost took off his left rear fender. Obviously, they were racing or maybe just playing, I don't know and honestly don't care. I don't appreciate dumbasses on the road. If they want to play and drive like idiots, do it on the track.

Rams

To be fair, where you live the people can't seem to merge onto the highway without stopping. They are either going too slow, or too fast down the highway, and almost all of them are on the phone.

[This message has been edited by Fats (edited 10-25-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every tool has a use.
I can see a use for this in urban street chases, but not at high speed.

As to people that drive at excessive speed on roads with traffic......maybe concealed carry permits could be expanded in their scope.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Tp be fair, where you live the people can't seem to merge onto the highway without stopping. They are either going too slow, or too fast down the highway, and almost all of them are on the phone.

Hell the ****s put stop lights on our merge lanes
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Hell the ****s put stop lights on our merge lanes

We have the same thing. Try going down a ramp with a 73' long, 80,000 lb truck, coming to a complete stop, then merging onto the freeway.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Tp be fair, where you live the people can't seem to merge onto the highway without stopping. They are either going too slow, or too fast down the highway, and almost all of them are on the phone.

Having travel most of the US (probably just as you have) I see the same issues in just about every large city. It's either young studs trying to prove how fast that are or, old farts trying to prove they still have it. Folks that don't use their turn signals, people on their cell phones, etc..... Driving defensively pays it's own way. But, you have to watch yer six, there are some real dumbasses out there.

Don't get me wrong, I was (at one time) a foolish speed demon driver who thought I was invincible.
The difference between myself and those old farts I mentioned above is, I grew up. I finally realized that I could not anticipate what the other driver was gonna do.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-23-2019).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We move about the highways and byways (just what is a byway anyway?) safely based on only one premise.
That each of us and the guys on either side of us, just scant feet away are always going to do exactly the proper thing every single minute they and we are on the road.....

Considering the high velocities being driven on the freeways around Houston and the huge number of vehicles involved, I'm really surprised the daily carnage isn't much much worse than it is.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2019 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...and there are many cars out there that a cop car cant catch...simply not fast enough. How would they shoot out their net at a car going 210 mph when their car can only do 140 ? Ohio Highway Patrol has airplanes. They use Cessna 172s that top out at say 130mph. . A lot of the newer performance cars are faster by nearly 100mph, even if they are on the scene immediately. Sure theres the saying about 'cant beat a radio', but yes you can if you can disappear before anyone can find you or get a license number. Get off the road at the next intersection or ramp and disappear into traffic. If your lucky, theres always somewhere to stash yourself like a car wash , shopping center parking lot, or parking garage...or even in your own home garage (unless your speeding thru the desert).

I saw a YouTube police video of cops trying to catch a stolen Dodge Hellcat in Houston. The cops tried catching him on interstate in relays by radioing ahead to other departments all the way to Dallas. They couldnt catch him. They radioed helicopters along the way to follow and they couldnt keep up. The only way they finally caught him was he ran out of gas and bailed into an open field. Helicopter found the stalled car on the berm, then searched the field around it to direct cops to him. If hed been smarter and got close to a city, they never would have found him.

Canada "fixed" 🤑 that last year. Cops can now show up 3 hours after you were seen or reported driving for a "drunk driving check" and you are presumed guilty until you prove you weren't driving....so if they have a black Mercedes speeding, every black Mercedes registered in the are is getting a home visit. Which one has a warm hood and nervous owner ?

BTW...you Don't have to be actually driving, just reported by say, a vengeful ex or pissed co-worker or something, and if you have had a couple beers tell it to the judge. Even if you prove your innocent and win in court you are still screwed since your car has already been impounded, licence suspended for a week, insurance notified and likely job lost.

Soo.... don't own the same type and color car as the speeder.

Oh, and here impaired driving isn't just dope or alcohol... medication, emotional upset, caffeine overload ect all are the same.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 10-24-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although some politicians in this country are trying to change it, our laws are based on the premise of "innocent until proven guilty".
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2019 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our are too, EXCEPT for Quebec. They run on Napoleonic law and every time we get a Frenchie PM they try ramming that crap up the entire countries azz. They still haven't signed the Constitution simply because they refuse to recognize common law rights.

The courts will rule it unconstitutional eventually, but in the 4-5-6 years it takes to work through the system plenty of people will have their lives destroyed. And they will be unavailable to sue for repercussions. The government attitude is oh, well. Tough crap. Sucks to be you.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 10-24-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OnStar and others have been shutting down cars for years.
Tesla shuts down cars for any reason they want. You DIY or third party a repair for a Tesla expect problem charging etc.

Is only a matter of time US Laws will make OnStar et al to shut down any car under police orders not just stolen ones.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Most vehicles used as daily drivers have nav. this is how they get the traffic reports/etc.
Very few vehicles used as daily's don't have nav. and the amount of them is tiny .

I'd love to know which crevice of your ass you pulled this ridiculous "fact" from.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I'd love to know which crevice of your ass you pulled this ridiculous "fact" from.

This is not one of those issues that requires pictorial evidence. Photos are neither necessary not wanted.

Rams
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Where are all these 200MPH cars? Looked like there were only 33 models made last year and of those, only the CTS and Hellcat were under 100K. As I recall it was damn near impossible to buy the Hellcat. Regardless, You guys just pull this **** out of your asses. I drive a fair amount as do a number of people here, I don't see these cars on the regular. Most Ferrari's, Lamborghini, AMG, Vette's, etc are all electronically limit. Sure you can drop thousands and get it eliminated, but I don't think people doing 200MPH in $100K+ cars is the biggest threat on the road. I drive pretty carefully when I am in machines like that. Buddy has a Ford GT and it is a MONSTER. He is super safety conscious about him or anyone he lets drive it. My vette friends don't show the same restraint on others driving, but it is they are hardly in the same class.
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

This is not one of those issues that requires pictorial evidence. Photos are neither necessary not wanted.

Rams

Fair enough. I have had cars with and without navigation. I REALLY love it in dash. Biggest issues I've found. 1. It isn't nearly as convenient to enter as it is on your phone. 2. Every vehicle I have experienced, except maybe Tesla, doesn't come with free updates. If Tesla are free, I am sure it is in there somewhere... My buddy has a newer Ram and all his maps are out of date as the update is $300. You can buy a phone or 4G tablet and service for a year for that cost. My truck had navigation that I installed, but it was an Android radio with a SIM slot. Anything I can run on my phone ran on the radio. That has been my favorite navigation system used to date. I like is seems everyone else (according to this study) use my phone. Waze was bought by Google some time ago and is far superior than TeleNav (which I used to get from Sprint free, but was a paid service), Google Maps I've always thought sucks, I don't even know the native Apple product. All the Garmin I have used are offline and require regular updates. I assume this has gotten easier, but the phone does all this crap automatically and gives you the option of virtually any program to use.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/...igation-frustration/
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2019 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Huh....

When my TomTom finally died I started using Google maps on my phone just to get me through until I could get another Tom Tom.

Get me through has turned into permanent. I picked up a $15 phone holder set up so it's right at the dash and a-pillar and nav couldn't be easier.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Huh....

When my TomTom finally died I started using Google maps on my phone just to get me through until I could get another Tom Tom.

Get me through has turned into permanent. I picked up a $15 phone holder set up so it's right at the dash and a-pillar and nav couldn't be easier.

Waze is infinitely better and free. Traffic updates, speed traps, debris on the road. I think it is the number one software in the country now.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Waze is infinitely better and free. Traffic updates, speed traps, debris on the road. I think it is the number one software in the country now.

I was going to suggest Waze as well.

My car has the "never updated" way too expensive to update built in Navigation that doesn't make sense. Though I can pirate something and insert that disk and make it work, I use Waze in it.

My wife's car has free updates, and displays weather on the GPS screen (something I think should be on all GPS devices.), but we still use Waze for navigation because the built in system is so horrible to use.

I know my car doesn't have two way communication, the GPS is only incoming signal.. I'd like to know how it would communicate with Toyota.
Her car doesn't communicate with Toyota unless it has Wifi, which it does seem to find on a regular basis, so perhaps it could be remotely disabled... I think we could have paid for their version of Onstar, but everything they offered we have avalable already on a cell phone, and that is in any car we drive. It does do the basic self driving stuff, so there may be something I'm missing. The bonus I guess is if the Police get in front of it and beside it, all the sensors will slow the car down until they aren't blocked.

Why not just have the new cars with sensors "detect" when police lights are behind you, and go into some "safety mode"? You don't need to get all kinds of agencies involved.

Brad
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh hey, your stuck in the turning lane of a 7 lane road how would you like to go the other way and save 7 minutes!
Oh I see you decided to stay on the path you were on.
There is a slight delay ahead expect to be 15 minutes late
Please exit the highway at the last exit before the accident that shut down the highway.
Oh you decided to not cut off the other guys that are also stuck and stay on the highway
Waze may be free butt google still tracks you so they don't care.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock