Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  'wrong apt' former Dallas PD officer found guilty of murder (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
'wrong apt' former Dallas PD officer found guilty of murder by maryjane
Started on: 10-01-2019 06:20 PM
Replies: 59 (947 views)
Last post by: DanDamage on 10-29-2019 05:12 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.star-telegram.c...rticle235555602.html

Sentencing phase has begun but done for today. She faces 99 yrs.
The times they are a changin..at long last.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-01-2019 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

https://www.star-telegram.c...rticle235555602.html

Sentencing phase has begun but done for today. She faces 99 yrs.
The times they are a changin..at long last.

Sad story all around.
99 years is not fair. I'm sure(my opinion) that her lack of doing cpr or calling it in asap was being in shock.
If thugs can pop caps in people and they die and they only get 20-50 and are out in 7.
I know this isn't going to be p/c. but tiny females should not be cops. It sounded from watching what she was stating on the stand, that she was scared shitless every day. working that area.
That in it self is not going to ever end well.
Sadly. only reason this is even a case is she is white the guy that got shot was black.
if it was a white guy that got shot, it never have hit the news.
if it was a black cop shooting a white it not be in the news.
What she did, she should pay for. but ,she should not be getting 2-5 times the years a thug would get if a deal went sideways.
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-01-2019 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel sorry for the jury, her former coworkers are going to have that list of names and be harassing them relentlessly. Also the guy WHO WAS SHOT IN HIS OWN HOME. There have been a LOT of these, because a bunch of idiots who didn't graduate high school can't read a street address. This is an excellent precedent.

This whole SWAT team for example, should be executed by firing squad:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/t...an/story?id=13640112
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I feel sorry for the jury, her former coworkers are going to have that list of names and be harassing them relentlessly. Also the guy WHO WAS SHOT IN HIS OWN HOME. There have been a LOT of these, because a bunch of idiots who didn't graduate high school can't read a street address. This is an excellent precedent.

This whole SWAT team for example, should be executed by firing squad:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/t...an/story?id=13640112

Has happened far too often. Too many lies, too many coverups.
https://www.usatoday.com/st...-settlement/2107289/
https://www.dailybreeze.com...her-dorner-shooting/
Complete dumbasses that have been fired but got protected by LA police chief Beck.

The Dallas thing?
Same **** different day.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-01-2019).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been casually paying attention to this. It never made sense to me.
She had no motive to shoot and kill a new neighbor.
Perhaps she did mistake her floor at a new apartment building.
She testified she heard noises then put her key in the door lock. Did the lock tumbler turn ? I guess the door knob could have.
She was supposedly trained to retreat an call for help "on the radio". Likely off duty did not have one.

I really do not know enough about the facts of the case. I am glad justice was served yet sentencing is the final ingredient. Likely a clean record. I would think the lower side of twenty to forty years.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would think the lower side of twenty to forty years.

I will be very surprised if she gets 10...15 tops and may be allowed freedom while the appeals process works itself out.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2019 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An old dude heard someone breaking into his shed in the middle of the night.
He confronted the intruder at gun point and told him to scat.
The intruder came at him with a pickax, so the old dude squeezed off a round.
The perp took off running as the old dude squeezed off another round.
The danger was gone, so the old dude went back inside and went back to bed.

When he got up, he found the perp dead in his back yard.
He called the cops.
They changed him with murder.

A failure to call the cops the moment it happened denied the perp timely medical attention?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

An old dude heard someone breaking into his shed in the middle of the night.
He confronted the intruder at gun point and told him to scat.
The intruder came at him with a pickax, so the old dude squeezed off a round.
The perp took off running as the old dude squeezed off another round.
The danger was gone, so the old dude went back inside and went back to bed.

When he got up, he found the perp dead in his back yard.
He called the cops.
They changed him with murder.

A failure to call the cops the moment it happened denied the perp timely medical attention?

He was charged with murder because there were too many inconsistencies in his story and...because he shot the guy in the back of the neck after he ran off and the threat was over.

"Meyer told the intruder not to come any closer or he would shoot him, the warrant reads. Meyer said the man took a few steps toward him with a pickax in his hand, the warrant says, and that's when he fired his gun. He said the unidentified man dropped the pickax and ran into the park behind his property. Meyer told police he fired another shot "into the night" in the direction of the park and then went to bed.

As the sun began to rise, Meyer looked outside and saw what he thought was a black bag in the park. He went to get a closer look, according to the warrant, and discovered a man lying facedown on the ground.

Meyer said he had his wife contact an attorney before he called 911 at 7:04 a.m. to report a home invasion in progress.
Meyer refused to answer the 911 dispatcher's questions and repeatedly said "he was a victim of a crime and that medical assistance was needed," according to the warrant.

Police officers arrived to find the deceased male lying facedown in the park behind Meyer's home with a gunshot wound to the back of his neck, Dallas police said in a post on the department website. The warrant said Dallas Fire Rescue determined the person had been dead for several hours.

Crime scene analysts called to process the scene couldn't find any spent shell casings. According to the warrant, Meyer told them that he picked them up and threw them away. Detectives also noted in the warrant that several neighbors stated hearing three gunshots, not two.
"

https://www.dallasnews.com/...-before-calling-911/

"Ominous"....

According to an arrest warrant affidavit, officers were dispatched at 7:04 a.m. on a home invasion call in the 5400 block of Philip Avenue, near Interstate 30 and Grand Avenue, where they found the body of an unknown male face down in a park behind the home.

Dallas-Fire Rescue workers noted that blood on the body was dry and eventually determined that the person had been dead for some time.

Meyer told police that he had been awakened about 5 a.m. by noise outside and saw someone trying to break into his storage shed with a pickax when he looked through the window, the affidavit said.

Meyer said he fired an additional shot "into the night" in the direction of the park, even though "from the suspect's accounts, the threat of serious bodily injury against him was over when the complainant dropped the pickax and ran off," the affidavit said.

I have a feeling that Texas "Castle Law" will not prevail in this instance and that the GJ will true bill Mr. Meyer.
Had his first bullet hit the burglar while he was in or close to the shed as he ran at the shooter, then he might be able to claim self defense.
Highly unlikely that his story will hold water and self defense will fail if he is going to claim "Ah feared fer mah life" and the cause of death was from a bullet that entered from behind.

Yes..The callousness that 'appears' apparent in him not immediately calling 911 will probably not play well with a DFW jury.

I find it odd that none of the neighbors, upon hearing the shots did not call 911, but then too, if any of my neighbors heard 2-3 shots from my property in the wee hours, none would be overly concerned either.

(the article doesn't say, but a quick look at data shows full sunrise for Mr. Meyer's location was 7:21am. He called 911 at 7:04, so it wasn't quite light yet, which the article does mention. Here, about 220 miles due South of where the shooting took place, it's still pitch black outside at 5AM. I mention this only because Texas "castle law" makes a clear distinction between what means and level of protection can be used in daylight versus night time)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-02-2019).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69576 posts
Member since Apr 2001

I will be very surprised if she gets 10...15 tops and may be allowed freedom while the appeals process works itself out.

From today's news:

Judge Tammy Kemp said Wednesday that jurors will receive written guidance on the law regarding a so-called "sudden passion defense."

According to the Texas Penal Code, if a defendant convicted of first-degree murder can prove in the punishment phase they caused the death under the " immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause," the offense would be reduced to a second-degree felony. If the jury accepts that Guyger's actions were taken in the heat of the moment, it could reduce the sentencing range to two to 20 years in prison.

End a man's life because of your own stupidity and only get 2 years?
We've simply come undone.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ten Years.

Not sure what the policy is for early release or probation in TX. If like many other states, she'll serve half or less with good behavior.
Being a former police officer, I doubt she'll be out in the General Population.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-02-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Judge reads the sentence. (Note, the judge specifically said: "We jury did NOT find the defendant caused the death of Botham Jean while under the influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause..."
(They had already found her guilty)
IOW, the jury didn't buy her "I wuz skeered" story.

https://www.fox4news.com/video/611147
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2019 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I find it odd that none of the neighbors, upon hearing the shots did not call 911, but then too, if any of my neighbors heard 2-3 shots from my property in the wee hours, none would be overly concerned either.

Exactly. Hearing gunfire in the city means a crime in progress. Out in a rural area it's a neighbor target shooting, hunting or getting rid of pests.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Perhaps she did mistake her floor at a new apartment building.
She testified she heard noises then put her key in the door lock. Did the lock tumbler turn ? I guess the door knob could have.
She was supposedly trained to retreat an call for help "on the radio". Likely off duty did not have one.

I really do not know enough about the facts of the case. I am glad justice was served yet sentencing is the final ingredient. Likely a clean record. I would think the lower side of twenty to forty years.

A girlfriend let herself into someone else's apartment while they were all hanging out on the couch and watching TV. She went to the wrong floor and went into someone else's apartment thinking it was mine. She was so embarrassed and apologized profusely...

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

End a man's life because of your own stupidity and only get 2 years?
We've simply come undone.

You correctly called 10 years. I guessed 20 to 40. I think 10 years for her stupidity is not enough for ending a man's life.

Justice was served as they say (and I am fine with the outcome). Yet the rabble rousers are out protesting "no justice, no peace". Even though in a touching moment, the brother of the victim forgave and asked and was given permission to hug the defendant after he publicly forgave her.
The judge also hugged her.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She will get out in less than 5. They tried to make it another race thing. She thought she was in her apt because she was distracted. Everyone at some time has done something similar...ive missed a turn/exit many times because I was in a conversation and not paying attention. The reasons she was distracted are unimportant. They had to put a sex spin on it to get more attention. She entered a dark apt and sees a man sitting...how would she know he was black. Hes holding a spoon, and in the dark she dont have a clue what hes got. The fact hes eating ice cream was again, of no importance, so why make a point of it. Personally Id have given her time served plus parole. It was a simple accident period. Id also make the police reinstate her.

The real moral of the whole thing, is even if your at home, LOCK your doors. I lock my doors everytime I go out of sight of it. Thats car, garage, house...if I cant see it, its locked.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 10-03-2019).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, it's his fault. Sure.

She has to serve at least 5 years before she's even eligible for parole according to the judge and Texas law. For murder convictions in this state, regardless of the length of sentence, 1/2 of the sentence must be served before they can go up for parole.
The governor 'could' commute' her sentence, but he won't.

Some here, may have gone to the wrong apt or motel door, but they didn't start shooting people inside.
There's a REASON she was charged with murder (and found guilty of it) and not manslaughter. The grand jury, not the prosecutor made that choice and distinction.
I've lived in apts several times over the decades. They all have one thing in common.
Apt numbers and this one was no exception. This one was on the outside light fixture just to the left of the door.
Botham Jean's was1478 and not hers, which was 1378.
She was a moron and according to the actual 911 call she made, she was way more worried about losing her job than killing an innocent man.
Goes to show that sometimes, being stupid really is a crime...this one cost her only 10 yrs but caused the death of an innocent man and all she was really worried about was loosing her job.
https://www.wfaa.com/articl...33-b868-ac6978a60afb

The doors in that apt complex are the heavy ones that are self closing , self latching and lock automatically when they close.
His evidently didn't always latch closed completely and therefore may not have locked.

The ice cream was brought up by the defense, not by the prosecution. He had a teaspoon in his hand, and defense attempted to show it would be "reasonable" for her to think he was going to kill her with the cream covered teaspoon.
(spoons should be banned..ice cream too)

Hard to be sarcastic when the whole thing was one tragedy after another and a good man is in the ground all because some stupid woman was.......................stupid.

But yeah, go ahead, blame the victim. Fortunately, she was tried by 12 people, good and true and they listened to the evidence and not hyperbole.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-03-2019).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, it's his fault. Sure.

Hard to be sarcastic when the whole thing was one tragedy after another and a good man is in the ground all because some stupid woman was.......................stupid.

But yeah, go ahead, blame the victim. Fortunately, she was tried by 12 people, good and true and they listened to the evidence and not hyperbole.

I agree with you too MJ, the only aspect that bothers me is the possibility that judgement and sentencing could have been biased by racial animus. Had this been a white woman and a white man, what would the charges be? I fully expect she'd still be charged... but would she receive the same sentencing?

That is my only consternation. I don't know anything about this beyond what's literally been discussed in this thread.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2019 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a feeling that Texas "Castle Law" will not prevail in this instance and that the GJ will true bill Mr. Meyer.
Had his first bullet hit the burglar while he was in or close to the shed as he ran at the shooter, then he might be able to claim self defense.
Highly unlikely that his story will hold water and self defense will fail if he is going to claim "Ah feared fer mah life" and the cause of death was from a bullet that entered from behind.

Yes..The callousness that 'appears' apparent in him not immediately calling 911 will probably not play well with a DFW jury.

(the article doesn't say, but a quick look at data shows full sunrise for Mr. Meyer's location was 7:21am. He called 911 at 7:04, so it wasn't quite light yet, which the article does mention. Here, about 220 miles due South of where the shooting took place, it's still pitch black outside at 5AM. I mention this only because Texas "castle law" makes a clear distinction between what means and level of protection can be used in daylight versus night time)

The guy, fired once and then let a 2nd one fly to really scare the THUG.
I doubt you or him at is age could tell if the 2nd shot hit him. as it was not even aimed at the thug, it was just letting one fly.

I don't care if the guy had already turned around and was running, that only happened because gun TRUMPS a pickaxe.
only reason.
If the thug wasn't being a thug, he not have got shot at ,in the 1st place.
but again even in TEXAS the thug has more rights than the .
victim
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe. The address was not out in the boonies, but was in the Dallas residential area. May have been enough ambient light from streetlamps or park lighting, Jack-in-the-crack and McD are nearby as is I-30...........the articles don't say just how much lighting there is.......all we have is what the shooter said to the investigators.
I wouldn't be 'just letting one fly' in that area. Too many houses and businesses nearby. I very very rarely even do that kind of thing out here and I live a relatively long way from 'civilization'. I've never been much on the 'spray and pray' school of shooting.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-04-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Letting one fly" into the unknown is a criminal negligent discharge. Makes the "victim" person come off as a thug. As was already stated, shooting someone coming at you with a weapon is justified. Shooting at them once they are running away is not. And once you do fire at someone, call the cops and let them do their job.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2019 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe. The address was not out in the boonies, but was in the Dallas residential area. May have been enough ambient light from streetlamps or park lighting, Jack-in-the-crack and McD are nearby as is I-30...........the articles don't say just how much lighting there is.......all we have is what the shooter said to the investigators.
I wouldn't be 'just letting one fly' in that area. Too many houses and businesses nearby. I very very rarely even do that kind of thing out here and I live a relatively long way from 'civilization'. I've never been much on the 'spray and pray' school of shooting.

The thug was found in a park near the shooters home, dead.
how many "parks" you know of with tons of light at that hour?
Sure, I'm sure you'd be cool carm and collected when a thug is running at you with a pick axe.
Funny all the Monday q/b's.
Clearly he didn't know he "hit" him or he not have gone back to bed.
I doubt many hit men can do that.
Sadly the old guy will spend the rest of his life in a cell, and his wife will lose everything. because the thug has more rights, At least my state doesn't try to hide the fact. Texas does.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 10-04-2019).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2019 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

"Letting one fly" into the unknown is a criminal negligent discharge. Makes the "victim" person come off as a thug. As was already stated, shooting someone coming at you with a weapon is justified. Shooting at them once they are running away is not. And once you do fire at someone, call the cops and let them do their job.

Sure. hypothetical. for you.
You say'n the thug would not use the pickaxe if the homeowner turned away?
ya, right.
Way I see it, one less thug running around to harm even more people.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sure, I'm sure you'd be cool carm and collected when a thug is running at you with a pick axe.

I've been cool calm and collected when people were running at me with AK47s, SkS, RPGs and hand grenades. You have to be if you want to survive. Fleeing will get you killed.
A raised weapon such as a pickax, wood ax, ball bat and even a fixed bayonet in the hands of an inexperienced user is extremely easy to deal with because they require room to swing for them to do any damage, and most burglars or (as you called them) thugs, are inexperienced. You advance quickly and step inside the radius of the swing, rendering the 'weapon' useless. You can't use a long heavy weapon on someone that is in your face. It's the last thing they expect and the best way to deal with it if you are unarmed.
If you're armed? Stand calm and take your shot.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-04-2019).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been cool calm and collected when people were running at me with AK47s, SkS, RPGs and hand grenades. You have to be if you want to survive. Fleeing will get you killed.
A raised weapon such as a pickax, wood ax, ball bat and even a fixed bayonet in the hands of an inexperienced user is extremely easy to deal with because they require room to swing for them to do any damage, and most burglars or (as you called them) thugs, are inexperienced. You advance quickly and step inside the radius of the swing, rendering the 'weapon' useless. You can't use a long heavy weapon on someone that is in your face. It's the last thing they expect and the best way to deal with it if you are unarmed.

I really think Mary Jane needs his own TV show.

"Texas Badlands"

Synopsis: "When a retired Marine turned farmer is pushed to his limits, he's forced to take the law into his own hands. Watch rancher Mary Jane and his side-kick Cliff take on the drug cartels in an epic showdown between good and evil in their quest to return peace to the community. Watch Texas Badlands, Tonight at 9:00PM CST"

As an FYI, I'm willing to fill in as the town's nerd if you need me to do some Digital Forensics on the laptop of one of the drug lords you kill.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

"Texas Badlands"

Synopsis: "When a retired Marine turned farmer is pushed to his limits, he's forced to take the law into his own hands. Watch rancher Mary Jane and his side-kick Cliff take on the drug cartels in an epic showdown between good and evil in their quest to return peace to the community. Watch Texas Badlands, Tonight at 9:00PM CST"

As an FYI, I'm willing to fill in as the town's nerd if you need me to do some Digital Forensics on the laptop of one of the drug lords you kill.

MJ could give cliffw one bullet which he must keep in his pocket.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Sure. hypothetical. for you.
You say'n the thug would not use the pickaxe if the homeowner turned away?
ya, right.
Way I see it, one less thug running around to harm even more people.

No hypothetical there at all.

The guy was running away. He went back in his house anyway, should of called the cops at that point.

You of all people should not get the sole judgement of who is bad. Leave that for the courts to rule on.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Texas Badlands"

Naw, we already got one of those in the neighborhood. I'll just call Bill..
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/123365.html

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Funny all the Monday q/b's.

How ironic.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
MJ could give cliffw one bullet which he must keep in his pocket.

, ... where is my nuclear "neg" button ?

I get a bullet ? I promise to polish it everyday.

I need two bullets. One for my 45 magnum I keep in my sock.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 10-04-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2019 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You didn't answer the question.
If the homeowner turned away from the thug, would the thug not use the pick ax?
Only reason the thug "ran" was after he was shot at, (gun trumps pickax)and clearly the old guy didn't want to kill him or he have hit him when the thug was running toward him with pickax., or maybe just maybe he missed because like most folks, he is alittle scared and shaky. I know I know all you Texans are bad ass cowboys scared of nothing.
If the thug wasn't being a thug he not get shot at.
end of story.
If the area is so populated that it have lights and letting a 2nd warning shot would be a nono, why no one ELSE call 911?
seems it isn't as lit and populated as a few are claiming. or you going with everyone in the area are heavy heavy sleepers?

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 10-04-2019).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can answer the lighting question as well as I can.
This is the block it happened at: 5400 Philip Ave Dallas Tx

Street view does show street lamps on all the streets.

I never said or indicated the guy ran for any particular reason but only said Texas Castle law would not protect him and that's why he was arrested and charged.
Castle Law protects you while you are in your home, vehicle and your business. It doesn't protect you in a detached building such as a shed, barn, shop or garage. I don't always agree with it, but that's how the Tx statute reads.
It'll be up to the GJ to decide if it goes to full trial, assuming the DA's office thinks the GJ found enough evidence to reasonable expect a guilty verdict.

All we 'know' is what the shooter said. Maybe there was a pickax, maybe there wasn't.
I know the difference in light out here at 5am and 7am is insignificant where I live.

Why didn't the neighbors call 911?
You'd have to ask them.
For all we know, he had a silencer....leagl or not, they are way more common than you may think.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2019 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can answer the lighting question as well as I can.
This is the block it happened at: 5400 Philip Ave Dallas Tx

Street view does show street lamps on all the streets.

I never said or indicated the guy ran for any particular reason but only said Texas Castle law would not protect him and that's why he was arrested and charged.
Castle Law protects you while you are in your home, vehicle and your business. It doesn't protect you in a detached building such as a shed, barn, shop or garage. I don't always agree with it, but that's how the Tx statute reads.
It'll be up to the GJ to decide if it goes to full trial, assuming the DA's office thinks the GJ found enough evidence to reasonable expect a guilty verdict.

All we 'know' is what the shooter said. Maybe there was a pickax, maybe there wasn't.
I know the difference in light out here at 5am and 7am is insignificant where I live.

Why didn't the neighbors call 911?
You'd have to ask them.
For all we know, he had a silencer....leagl or not, they are way more common than you may think.

Silencer, oh and non supersonic rounds, right.
what next he worked for the fbi/cia.
A silencer doesn't do much on normal rounds, you know this. all it does is make being able to tell where the shot was fired. the round still make a ton of noise, it isn't like the movies. lol
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Naw, we already got one of those in the neighborhood. I'll just call Bill..
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/123365.html

That's wild...

It was over the usual type thing. Livestock and bad hay.

In Miami, it's usually about drugs and grand theft auto.

...so I can get the place spiffied up to show so we can sell and move back West.

I checked out a couple of the places you were looking at. Mentone seems to be all but abandoned. Are you really considering moving out there Don? I know we all prefer different things, and I suppose I've always grown up in the city or the suburbs... but I know I'd personally want for more interaction if I was out there. I'm always able to keep myself busy... either building something, working on something, or doing something... always things to do. But I figured when I get into my retirement years, I'd want to start having fun.

I know San Antonio probably isn't what you're looking for... but if it's something you're interested in, I'm more than happy to help out in whatever it is you hope to do. There's a lot of cool places you can get here that are off the beaten path and still have land. I'm happy to loan tools and work on some projects (laying tile, etc...)

I know Converse is near-by, and also kind of out in the Boonies as they say... I think someone else here lives there. Anyway... let me know.

I've always wondered how towns like Menton came to be, and are now all but abandoned. I was reading about their school, where the school is basically abandoned because enrollment dropped down to 2 students. Seems so depressing. I was looking at the pictures and it looks like there's an abandoned church, a public works building, and an abandoned school... and an out house.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silencer/noise suppressors reduce the decibel levels...significantly.
It's flash suppressors that make it difficult to determine where the shooter is located...as well as reducing recoil.
A suppressor reduces the sound from around 150 -180 db to by about 20 db.
But yes, the only way to fully reduce the sound of a gunshot is to use sub-sonic ammo with a noise suppressor , which a lot of people do use nowadays.
One of the DFW PFF members here at my place a few years ago. (disregard the white arrow on the rifle Blakeinspace is holding..it's to signify something unrelated to discussion)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-09-2019).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69576 posts
Member since Apr 2001

I've always wondered how towns like Menton came to be, and are now all but abandoned. I was reading about their school, where the school is basically abandoned because enrollment dropped down to 2 students. Seems so depressing. I was looking at the pictures and it looks like there's an abandoned church, a public works building, and an abandoned school... and an out house.

Oil boom town, that rose up, then down, that is again getting lots of traffic thru it but not much infrastructure there. Biggest employer is the county.

https://www.ghosttowns.com/states/tx/mentone.html
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know Converse is near-by, and also kind of out in the Boonies as they say... I think someone else here lives there.

Oh my. You got it bad. You are a city slicker, as they say. I lived in Converse from '83 till '87. It was not even out in the boonies then.
Now, the SA city border butts up to the Universal City border. Which butts up to the Converse border. Which butts up to the Universal City border. Which butts up to the Shertz border. There may be three/four miles to the Cibilo border, then maybe five miles to the Marion border (I lived there too).

There are some large tracs of old farm/ranch land nearby but I wouldn't consider anything out in the boonies. I am about ten miles from Bandera (pop 900) and I don't think I am out in the boonies.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Silencer/noise suppressors reduce the decibel levels...significantly.
It's flash suppressors that make it difficult to determine where the shooter is located...as well as reducing recoil.
A suppressor reduces the sound from around 150 -180 db to about 20 db.
But yes, the only way to fully reduce the sound of a gunshot is to use sub-sonic ammo with a noise suppressor , which a lot of people do use nowadays.
One of the DFW PFF members here at my place a few years ago. (disregard the white arrow on the rifle Blakeinspace is holding..it's to signify something unrelated to discussion)

Sorry maryjane, that is simply incorrect. The silencer might drop the sound level by 20 db, but not down to 20 db. That is less then normal background noise in a quiet area. So if your rifle was 150 db, it might drop it to 130 db. For most guns, they still suggest you wear hearing protection while shooting them silenced.

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 10-05-2019).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Sorry maryjane, that is simply incorrect. The silencer might drop the sound level by 20 db, but not down to 20 db. That is less then normal background noise in a quiet area. So if your rifle was 150 db, it might drop it to 130 db. For most guns, they still suggest you wear hearing protection while shooting them silenced.

Thanks..I meant to type 'by' and not 'to' for that portion of the reply.
For subsonic rounds tho, the drop is way more noticeable.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock