Started on: 09-03-2019 08:30 PM
Replies: 21 (499 views)
Last post by: randye on 11-08-2019 07:49 PM
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2019 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noodling around on YouTube, found a trailer for a movie called "JoJo Rabbit".

Watch it and share your thoughts.
Frankly, Im not quite sure what to think.....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2019 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watched the trailer. Don't think I want to watch the movie.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2019 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks stupid.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2019 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Based on the critic's reviews (MadMark's and maryjane's), think'n I'm not even gonna go there.
Seriously.......................

Rams
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2019 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im wondering what was going through the producers head when putting this project together....
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-04-2019 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Im wondering what was going through the producers head when putting this project together....

Meth ?
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-04-2019 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Liberalism.

Hollywood canceled releasing the movie where demoncrats hunt Republicans. Just made a movie shooting people like me, advertised said move, then cancelled it. Congratulations Hollywood.

Where are our liberal members and their concern? Crickets...
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2019 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I havent supported Hollywood or the theaters in a very long time. Used to go to the movies often, now maybe three times in two years.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2019 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Liberalism.

Hollywood canceled releasing the movie where demoncrats hunt Republicans. Just made a movie shooting people like me, advertised said move, then cancelled it. Congratulations Hollywood.

Where are our liberal members and their concern? Crickets...

The forum has few enough members "period" that participate with any regularity in these Political and Cultural kinds of topics, let alone "liberal" members.

There's something fundamentally off-kilter about this idea of traversing the vastness of the Internet and finding things that are (arguably) objectionable and then complaining that liberals are not seen to be in the process of lodging their objections to it. Whatever "it" would be. Liberals or progressives or anyone that might consider casting a vote or making a statement that doesn't comport with the Republican, or conservative, or right-wing ("rightist"..?) or Trump-populist kind of thinking.

It's not so distant from the fundamental insanity of radicalized Muslims (to pick an example) who object to Everything and Everyone that is "secular" or "American" because they find fault (and it could be justifiable fault) with certain things or certain people that could fairly be categorized as "secular" or "American."

It's a street-gang mentality that only sees people as part of some larger group, and not as singular individuals who share certain temperaments and values, but are not clones of one another, or products of an automated assembly line that are differentiated from one another only by a unique unit production serial number that is tattooed on their buttocks.

It's Antifa-esque.

It needs a rethink.

A "heads up" for FMOJD. Slightly serious material appended to the "Scaramucci 'sez'..." topic.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-07-2019).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2019 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Click to show

It's Antifa-esque.

Click to show

Huh? For once, you have dumbfounded me. I am in awe of your correlation methods. Well done Ronald.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2019 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FMOJD is an acronym for Forum Member "olejoedad." He started this topic and has revisited it with additional comments, not once, but twice. So this thread is kind of an address for him, in an informal way. That is why I am using a Cross Link as an invitation for him (and anyone else) who wants to review what I consider to be one of my more personally revealing messages, on another current or recently active thread. The message is about MSNBC and why I like that particular cable TV channel. It's a response to one of his statements.

It's not something I have been "OD'ing" on, of late... providing a Cross Link from one Pennock's TO/T thread to another one. There was a time when I did it with regularity, and maybe that was kind of "overboard." An "indulgence."

I hope this Cross Link will be accepted in the way that one golfer or golfing party might permit another golfer or golfing party to "play through." A small variation from standard procedure, to better lubricate the gears of communal interaction, in a particular and not constantly recurring circumstance.

Cross Link to Comcast and MSNBC-related message in thread named "Scaramucci 'sez'..."
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/123928-2.html#p61
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2019 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Feeling a bit "extra" today Rinselberg?

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 09-09-2019).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2019 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I think you are not likely to see me trying to push anyone's buttons here or spin anyone up. Not today.

Just for "shitz", have you seen my promo's in the Events section? 'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum7/HTML/000640.html
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Noodling around on YouTube, found a trailer for a movie called "JoJo Rabbit".

Watch it and share your thoughts.
Frankly, Im not quite sure what to think.....

I finally got to watch the entire movie at home tonight. ( online streaming / torrent and all that)

Yes, it's a comedy / satire but it also has some very serious parts and a great message.

The original trailers didn't do it justice.

Recommended
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "Jojo Rabbit" movie was created from the raw material of a novel, "Caging Skies."

There is a fairly brief interview with the author of "Caging Skies" that came out at the beginning of August.

“Caging Skies” Author Talks WWII, Hitler Youth and Upcoming Film “Jojo Rabbit”
Lee Pelletier for Booktrib(.com); August 6, 2019.
https://booktrib.com/2019/0...h-christine-leunens/

At the end (there), a paragraph about the author of "Caging Skies."

CHRISTINE LEUNENS is the author of three novels translated into more than twenty languages. Caging Skies, an international bestseller sold in twenty-two countries, was shortlisted in France for the prestigious Prix Médicis étranger and Prix du roman Fnac. Born in Hartford, Connecticut, she has spent most of her life in Europe and now lives in New Zealand. She holds a master of liberal arts in English and American literature and language from Harvard University. A former model, Leunens was the face of Givenchy, Paco Rabanne, Nina Ricci, and others.

"Believe it or not."

I have not seen anything of the "Jojo Rabbit" movie itself, except for some brief promo's for it on cable TV.

Among the relatively few books I can say that I actually read, a sizable percentage have been about or related to Germany during the Nazi era and the earliest years of the German society and government that emerged after the end of World War Two. The ones that come to mind at this moment...

The Tin Drum (Gunter Grass.) I remember it as a book of many pages (for a novel), but beyond that, it has almost completely faded from my memory. I can't remember any particular event or character.

Fatherland: A Novel (Robert Harris.) Chronicles the journey of a German police detective who embarks upon a murder investigation that moves him from the realm of "ordinary" crimes and criminality, into, what is for him, uncharted territory. Set within an alternate history that describes a largely triumphant Nazi regime that is ready to celebrate a living Adolf Hitler's 75th birthday in 1964.

The Knight, Death and the Devil (Ella Leffland.) A novel, laced with historical references and events, that focuses on the character of Hermann Goering, or Göring, to be more authentically German about it. Sometimes rendered as "Goring." But this novel was not "boring."

The Judge and His Hangman (Friedrich Durrenmatt.) I remember it as a novel about a German police detective on the trail of an "old nemesis." If memory serves me, it was without any direct or in-depth references to the Nazi era, and I remember it--accurately or not--as being set in the early years of the Germany that emerged after the end of World War Two.

Although I have hardly watched any movies from end to end in recent times, it wouldn't be entirely out of character for me to have the "Jojo Rabbit" movie experience; but as of yet, it has not happened. I guess the movie has not yet been released to the theaters, but is on the very cusp of it, in terms of the temporal axis of the space-time continuum..? Such is my impression about it.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-08-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been fascinated with early 20th century world history for decades.
Very little of what I read is fiction.

As to a historically based fiction book, I highly recommend Leon Uris' work "Armageddon".
It is based on the occupation of Berlin, at the end of WWII.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That one (Armageddon; Leon Uris)... it seems possible that I read that book from cover to cover, but enough time has passed that it has faded almost entirely from my memory, in the same way as The Tin Drum.

I guess I would have to see a list of all the books from Leon Uris. Maybe it's some other Leon Uris book that I am thinking of.

I think I will check on this, but later in the day.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be interesting and possibly enlightening to see the different perspectives taken by olejoedad and rinselberg on such a book.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-08-2019).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "good news" is that I have become certain that I once read the Leon Uris novel, "Armageddon." I plowed through it from cover to cover, but I don't remember when that was, or what else was going on with me at the time. I remember something of two of the characters (young German women... sisters, I think) and that there were a lot of references to the Berlin Airlift.

The "bad news" is that there is not much else that I can say about it. It's not a book that "stuck with me" over the years. The winner in that (obviously) very personal category is "Der Richter und sein Henker" or "the judge and his hangman." I read it in the original (German) as part of a German-language class.

I believe that I have incorporated some of the German police detective "Inspector Barlach" (the central character of the Friedrich Dürrenmatt novel) into the "DNA" (so to speak) that animates what I have here, that I try to pass off as a "mind." Or mindset. The idea that a "road leading to justice" does not have to (and likely cannot) move forwards along the shortest or most direct path from A to B. The indispensability of an empirical mind.

All that could be here or there, especially as it concerns me and what I think I've made of it--the daydreams of an "rinselberg", more than any realities--but the Friedrich Dürrenmatt novel "Der Richter und sein Henker" has stayed more with me (so to speak) over the years, all the way down to the present moment, than any of the other books that have just been dislodged from their shelves and tossed into this conversation like so many hors d'oeuvres. Including the Leon Uris novel.

Now we're a long ways distant from "Jojo Rabbit."

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As to a historically based fiction book, I highly recommend Leon Uris' work "Armageddon".

Originally posted by rinselberg:

It's not a book that "stuck with me" over the years.

See? Perspective.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The difference between entertainment, and seeking knowledge?
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The difference between entertainment, and seeking knowledge?

More likely just the difference between an irrational mind and rational one.

A fictional crime novel by an obscure Leftist Swiss writer is just the kind of sludge that would congeal in Ronald's diseased grease trap of a mind.

............................................................................................

I have 4 of Uris' books on my shelf; Exodus, Mitla Pass, Battle Cry and Armageddon.

All well enjoyed.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 11-08-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock