What is the deal? by 2.5
Started on: 07-08-2019 04:11 PM
Replies: 26 (399 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 07-10-2019 08:02 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A guy in a video said he likes to take cold showers, like really cold, so you are shivering and breathing oddly. One of the reasons said was "its like suffering". I assume that makes them feel more alive or something?

Another person, a person I know, was wearing thin tennis shoes while we walked outside in January in MN through snow. His feet got cold and wet. I asked why he didn't wear better footwear. His answer could have been somewhat a sound like a tough guy and blow off maybe that he forgot different footwear (my personal guess). But his additional comment was "sometimes its ok to get really cold feet, because then its lke a reward when they warm up".

This baffles me. Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is useful to be able to tolerate discomfort, but discomfort for its own sake is nothing short of masochism.
I used to take great pride in my ability to tolerate extreme discomfort, high heat, pain, etc, but that ability diminishes with age.
My friends used to tell me that after the nuclear holocaust, the only things left would be the cockroaches and me.
Midwest Fiero Clubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midwest Fiero ClubsClick Here to visit Midwest Fiero Clubs's HomePageSend a Private Message to Midwest Fiero ClubsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I used to take great pride in my ability to tolerate extreme discomfort, high heat, pain, etc, but that ability diminishes with age.
My friends used to tell me that after the nuclear holocaust, the only things left would be the cockroaches and me.

Fiero owners have heir own kind of endurance
Weather wise between you two.. MN in winters or AZ Summers are likley enough!

[This message has been edited by Midwest Fiero Clubs (edited 07-08-2019).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2019 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Annnddd......that crap catches up with you.

I used to take a real pleasure in teasing "wimps" who couldnt take the cold or heat or keep going like the energizer bunny for hours on end.

Now, I"M the one looking for a stool after 15-20 minutes of effort and one of the 1st to say "frack that noise" to extreme conditions.

Karma has a way of getting even with ya !!!!!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah when A/C or finding a cave is required to survive in AZ mid day summer , or you cant breath in deep through your nose on MN winters day (or CANADA) because you'd freeze your brain...heh.
Maybe that's why I don't punish myself on purpose.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-08-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Yeah when A/C or finding a cave is required to survive in AZ mid day summer , or you cant breath in deep through your nose on MN winters day (or CANADA) because you'd freeze your brain...heh.
Maybe that's why I don't punish myself on purpose.

The coldest I have ever been was 6oF. My breath was making icicles on my mustache. I did not like it. I did not like it one bit. Now, if it is below 60o, I have to put on a jacket.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How's -44°F and howling wind sound, Willie?

Come visit some winter, we'll be happy to show you.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

No, no, no! I've seen what happens when that guy dips the rose in liquid nitrogen. Just like that rose, I too, am a delicate flower.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2019 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

BBQ weather.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people LIKE buttplugs. Folks like strange stuff.

Some things, like high temp saunas invoke heat-shock protein stuff. Google it.

And some folks like corn flakes. Google why that guy Kellogg was an odd bird(and why his brother and a company added sugar)

Guess some folks enjoy an occasional date with hypothermia or something?

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?"

"Because it feels good when I stop."

Humans are strange creatures. We like to challenge ourselves. Get out of our comfort zones. See how far we can go, extend our capabilities. But everyone has a different idea of what a "challenge" is, and it changes with age.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always been baffled by the people who cut themselves. I understand that it is a symptom of mental illness, but self mutilation just seems so counter intuitive.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have always been baffled by the people who cut themselves. I understand that it is a symptom of mental illness, but self mutilation just seems so counter intuitive.

Apparently the pain and focusing on it helps them forget other, possibly emotional pain.
Could be a related thought though for some people in regards to physical discomfort.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ever tickle yourself a little, then scratch that spot? a slight irritant, then a little moment of relief. From what I've heard, for cutters, It's a walk down a similar street. There probably is a better 'outlet' out there...
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12441 posts
Member since Jan 2012

Apparently the pain and focusing on it helps them forget other, possibly emotional pain.
Could be a related thought though for some people in regards to physical discomfort.

Hurt - NIN

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real

The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2019 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dad beat me with a hanger. I was 12 years old when it stopped hurting and I laughed at him for hitting a child.

Pain is a construct of my mind. There is actual hurt happening, but pain is ignored. Felt, but ignored. Only folks that can do what I can do will understand. The rest will take my words as me being an azz. I am comfortable within my own skin.

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

If not for T.E.Lawrence, all those people would have killed each other off by now and the whole place would be a Standard Oil theme park.

Brough Superior was called "the Rolls-Royce of Motorcycles" with the permission of Rolls
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A guy in a video said he likes to take cold showers, like really cold, so you are shivering and breathing oddly. One of the reasons said was "its like suffering". I assume that makes them feel more alive or something?

Another person, a person I know, was wearing thin tennis shoes while we walked outside in January in MN through snow. His feet got cold and wet. I asked why he didn't wear better footwear. His answer could have been somewhat a sound like a tough guy and blow off maybe that he forgot different footwear (my personal guess). But his additional comment was "sometimes its ok to get really cold feet, because then its lke a reward when they warm up".

This baffles me. Thoughts?

I kinda get the "cold shower" thing, personally. I've done it a few times, albeit in hot hot weather. (So Cal, so when it got to 104f a cold shower was amazing). It causes a release of endorphins kinda like the legendary "runner's high". It didn't happen the first time, but after a one week experiment with cold showers (well, hot showers that switched to cold at the end) I started to find it really invigorating. Now that I am nearing 40, it's not the same, it just makes my joints hurt.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(well, hot showers that switched to cold at the end)

Done that lots of times when there were 4 teenagers and 2 adults in the house...every school morning in fact..
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Done that lots of times when there were 4 teenagers and 2 adults in the house...every school morning in fact..

lol

I think I originally read about it in one of the James Bond novels, and decided to try it - turned out it WAS invigorating.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This time of year around here, you couldn't have a cold shower if you tried. The water coming from the cold side of the tap is plenty warm.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2019 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those that are prone to breaking out on your back or face, a trick I have used since a teenager is to rinse off with cool or cold water. Warm water agitates bacteria so cooling off keeps the issues at bay somewhat.

Just another Tony Kania Top Tip. Or is that just the top of the tip?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

For those that are prone to breaking out on your back or face, a trick I have used since a teenager is to rinse off with cool or cold water. Warm water agitates bacteria so cooling off keeps the issues at bay somewhat.

I've also always been told cold water closes pores.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2019 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've also always been told cold water closes pores.

I have a tendency to take hotter showers in the winter. (Duh Tony!) When I begin taking the hotter showers to warm myself up after work, I begin to break out. Every time. I do this every year. I know better, but that heat feels so darn good.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2019 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Dad beat me with a hanger. I was 12 years old when it stopped hurting and I laughed at him for hitting a child.

Pain is a construct of my mind. There is actual hurt happening, but pain is ignored. Felt, but ignored. Only folks that can do what I can do will understand. The rest will take my words as me being an azz. I am comfortable within my own skin.

Pain can be ignored...you body cant Tony.

When I blew my knees out and had the surgury, the docs told me to take it easy for 2 years and let the healing happen...

I knew better. 19 years old, fresh out of the Army and going balls to the wall. Witrhin a month I was back driving a clutch and 2 to get back on a bike and toss the crutches. Back on a horse in 3.. I had a few pop-outs but they heal in a few days.

Flash forward to now...I keep crutches and a cane on hand. When they give me problems I can be a hobble-hobbit for up to 3 months, last time was summer of 2017. AND, all 35 years of compensating has worked one hell of a job on the hips. When one of them goes out now, I can be standing there having a coffee with you and just hit the floor like a sack of concrete.

Am I going to stop ?......no
Do you pay the price later for ignoring pain?....yes.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will let you know in the morning, our gas got cut.

With changing jobs we both forgot about it and they wont be turning it back on until Friday.
Just paid the electric so those ****s better not play any games.

**** happens.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock