Started on: 05-22-2019 06:46 AM
Replies: 0 (79 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 05-22-2019 06:46 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2019 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bid on an interesting job last night.

Guy has a 35-foot 5th wheel trailer he wants converted into work space. Parked beside his house, he just doesn't have room in there for what he wants to do (small parts fabrication, he runs a mini-mill, mini lathe, mini-everything and the wife is giving him grief about being in the house)

I'm thinking rip out the bed and cabinets, panel the walls and turn the bedroom into an office. Desk, chair and filing cabinet is all that's really needed and even an RV bedroom is big enough for that.

Gut the bathroom, re-panel with OSB painted white to reflect light, toss in some shelving and the parts storage is good-to-go.

Strip the rest down to the walls, again white OSB paneling and install some workstations, fold-up workbench and shelving.

Heat it with an oil-filled radiator (its only 300 sq ft and its insulated, that's plenty) and run about 4 or 5 48" LED tubes up one side for lighting. No need to even mess with the factory wiring, just re-run right on top of the OSB and power the whole setup with 2 circuits of extension cord run to the house. He can only run one tool at a time, and the radiator can be shut off while actually running once the place is warm, so power draw isnt actually that bad.

Hell, I am filing this one in the back of my brain for my own future use. The whole conversion worked out just a hair over 2k plus labor, and that's using good steel workstations as bases. It could probably be done for 1/2 of that if I cheap out and go with wood, and get used stuff for the electrical or something. Most if not all of the cost gets recovered selling off the fixtures once they are out.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-22-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)
next newest topic | next oldest topic

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock