Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Baseball fans, you will never see this again in your lifetime. An amazing play

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Baseball fans, you will never see this again in your lifetime. An amazing play by maryjane
Started on: 05-21-2019 01:09 PM
Replies: 10 (252 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 05-24-2019 09:04 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the Real World News this last weekend...an amazing bit of girl's softball scheming, practicing and teamwork payed off to win a championship. The "Hidden Ball Trick" is pretty old, but usually happens with the 1st baseman holding/hiding the ball in his/her glove and tagging the runner at 1st out as soon as they take a leadoff step off the base.

This, took it to a whole different level. 5 different players had to act on this play, to convince the runner at 2nd that the pitcher had overthrown the 2nd baseman and that the ball went out into centerfield, while in reality, the pitcher never even threw the ball to the 2nd baseman. She hid it in her glove, and the runner, seeing the fielders all scrambling to retrieve the "wild throw" ran for 3rd. The pitcher had the ball concealed in her glove the whole time, ran over and tagged the runner out between 2nd and 3rd base to win the game and the championship. Imagine the amount of practice involved in getting this down pat and the coaching to decide when to use it. Watch carefully at 0:04, as the catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher...The fielders made this work with their superb acting, chasing a non-existent wild throw. You're eyes will want to watch the action in the field, but keep your focus on the pitcher and the runner.
Good job girls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAfH6-6BIow

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-21-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a fast and slick move,Good coaching and execution. Seen many years of baseball as a St.Louis boy but never seen that one pulled off in a game.

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 05-21-2019).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope that "Yadi" (Yadier Molina) has seen this.

Yeah, I'm a Cardinals fan. It's a city of birth thing.

I may come back here later or tomorrow with video of one of the trick plays that he has pulled off. There was one from last season. I think I would have to search through some data here on my hard disk to find it. I do expect that I would find it.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hah... that was pretty slick.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha, ha! I used to do that to my dog and he would look at my like, "What do think I am? Stupid or something?"

Oh, and shouldn't that be 2nd baseperson?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 05-21-2019).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2019 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was awesome- thanks for sharing!
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2019 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

...and the coaching to decide when to use it.

Steve Stone likes to tell a story about a similar play they used to practice when he was a pitcher for the Orioles. It required a very specific situation: left-handed pitcher, less than two outs, runners at 1st and 3rd. Pitcher pretends to throw to 1st to pick off the runner, but "slips" and pretends to fall to the mound. Runner on 3rd takes off for Home, and the pitcher throws to the catcher who of course tags the runner out. They worked on it over and over all through spring training and then occasionally throughout the regular season, but he says they only once used this play during an actual game in the whole three years he was on the Orioles.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2019 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Ha, ha! I used to do that to my dog and he would look at my like, "What do think I am? Stupid or something?"

Oh, and shouldn't that be 2nd baseperson?

To you...maybe.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2019 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Text and video
https://www.mlb.com/news/ca...g-pickoff-c227141800

It was just a base on balls. A walk. With base runners at first and second. The base runners move up and the batter takes first.

After advancing to third, the Reds' Eugenio Suarez was lulled into a false sense of security. Nonchalantly waiting for the next batter to arrive at the plate and step into the batter's box. Suarez expects the Cardinals catcher to toss the ball back to the pitcher. The common expectation. The script that this moment in a baseball game always adheres to.

But not this time.

That was early in the 2017 season.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-22-2019).]

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2019 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Molina has been the best catcher in baseball and the smartest Cardinals player for a number of years and a hoot to watch,The guy is a highlight machine. Didn't know you was from the St.Louis territory rinse.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2019 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Born and raised (during my earliest years) within the city limits of St Louis. After that, University City, which is a suburb that extends west, from the western city limits of St Louis, proper. I think they named it "University City" as a nod to Washington University in St Louis, which was a nod to George Washington.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock