Started on: 05-13-2019 11:10 AM
Replies: 11 (324 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 05-21-2019 10:36 AM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2019 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, the huge manatee!

NHRA fun stuff inside. View with loud volume and in full screen. You nave been warned.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 05-13-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2019 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Link?

Rams
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2019 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Link?

Rams

There should be video available on your page? I have the YouTube link playing as I type.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2019 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
There should be video available on your page? I have the YouTube link playing as I type.

Hmmm, if there is one there, I don’t see it.
Will get my bifocals checked soon.

Rams
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2019 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I was able to watch it as well.

"Why is this happening!?"

Because we as humans seem hell bent on pushing the envelope to extremity. In NHRA this is done by squeezing out every last bit of power possible while saving as much weight as possible to get us down that 1/4 mile hundredths of seconds faster. Eventually things go boom!

Besides have you ever been to a NHRA drag race? If you have not, I suggest it be a bucket list entry for most out there. Walking in the pit's you can watch them tear the engines down and rebuild them between runs. I saw several kids walking around with worn out clutch plates the crew had given them when they were rebuilding the engine/trans. They would test run the engines before taking them out for a zip down the track and the methane fumes would burn your eye's. The fumes would be so heavy in the air that breathing would be difficult, but each thump of the exhaust was a thumping you could feel. Then when it comes to the actual race? I suggest sitting not on the starting line but down maybe 25 yards. You can see the cars line up, feel the vibration in your ear drums and smell the nitrometh flood out into the stands. Then the light goes green, the cars jump as more nitrometh pour's out and the sound? You can feel it in your soul. It's so loud and so powerful that I don't think most couldn't stand in awe over the experience. It really is an experience that just doesn't get conveyed well over TV. Yes you can see it on TV but the smell, the burn, the pounding and the sheer volume of it all is something you can only really get by being there.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-13-2019).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2019 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I was able to watch it as well.

"Why is this happening!?"

Besides have you ever been to a NHRA drag race? If you have not, I suggest it be a bucket list entry for most out there. ...

I love the feel of an NHRA event. Very much plan on going again this year several times. Spokane County Raceway has a track nearby.

I worked for Winston Cup and NHRA for several seasons back in the mid to late 90's. Four years of traveling to events and I enjoyed every frickin' minute of it.

It is with out a doubt a great bucket list item for anyone that has never done it. It is so much more than a race. The sounds, smells, and feel or it all cannot be described accurately. Bring that along with an amazing family environment and the whole of it all begins to make sense.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2019 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is it happening?
Five gallons of high explosive and 65psi of manifold pressure, making 1450psi BMEP. (remember the "M" stands for mean, not maximum)

Wind resistance increases at the square of the increase in velocity, so at the high end of the track, most of the horsepower is used just fighting the wind.
Put your hand out the window at 100mph. At the high end of the track, the wind resistance would be more than nine times as much.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 05-13-2019).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2019 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your all wrong. It's because nobody in the NHRA knows how to turn left. If they did they wouldnt be there !!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2019 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://dieselinnovations.co...dragster%20facts.pdf

A short list of Top Fuel dragster facts:

* The 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower than the first 8 rows
at Daytona.

* Under full throttle, a the engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of
nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded
747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

* The supercharger takes more power to drive then a stock hemi
makes.

* Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the
supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into
nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of
hydraulic lock.

* Dual electronic magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This
is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro),
the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen
above the exhaust pipes at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated
from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After
1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression-plus the glow of
exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down
by cutting of its fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro
builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can
blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

* The engines twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in
the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset
from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to
synchronization with the pistons.

* To exceed 300mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at
an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 250 mph well before 1/2
track, launch acceleration is closer to 8G's.

* Drivers must shut off before the finish line, or even dual
parachutes will not stop the car.

* If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and
for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.

Bear in mind here that the engine behind all this Herculean output is a
modified offshoot of a common American big-block V-8
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2019 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that was an awesome video, Ive never seen stuff like that. Definitely gotta go in person

Cool info guru, that stuffs crazy

shem
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
Besides have you ever been to a NHRA drag race? If you have not, I suggest it be a bucket list entry for most out there. Walking in the pit's you can watch them tear the engines down and rebuild them between runs. I saw several kids walking around with worn out clutch plates the crew had given them when they were rebuilding the engine/trans. They would test run the engines before taking them out for a zip down the track and the methane fumes would burn your eye's. The fumes would be so heavy in the air that breathing would be difficult, but each thump of the exhaust was a thumping you could feel. Then when it comes to the actual race? I suggest sitting not on the starting line but down maybe 25 yards. You can see the cars line up, feel the vibration in your ear drums and smell the nitrometh flood out into the stands. Then the light goes green, the cars jump as more nitrometh pour's out and the sound? You can feel it in your soul. It's so loud and so powerful that I don't think most couldn't stand in awe over the experience. It really is an experience that just doesn't get conveyed well over TV. Yes you can see it on TV but the smell, the burn, the pounding and the sheer volume of it all is something you can only really get by being there.

What he said, there is noting that compares with a nitro car making a run, The intensity is amazing...

Joe

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2019 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Cool info!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock