Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anybody else getting sick of this You-Tube and Instructables craze ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anybody else getting sick of this You-Tube and Instructables craze ? by MidEngineManiac
Started on: 05-05-2019 03:34 PM
Replies: 20 (401 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 05-07-2019 04:17 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2019 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems just about EVERYTHING these days has been video-ized.

When I want information, I am NOT interested in sitting thru a 10-minute how-to video, or clicking thru 20-pages of step-by-set instructions on how not to shove my fingers thru the jointer (did that when I was 16 and learned no-be-do-dat then)... I want a few pictures and some text I can scan thru in under 2 minutes and have what I want !!

Scored myself a nice router table (brand-new, in-the box ) for 35 bucks yesterday, and am searching for idea on a jig that I can use with it to cut both circles and ovals (in the same jig, yeh, I know, THATS a tall order).

Its taking longer to weed out the videos and instructibles than it will take me to build the damn jig !!!

(YES, I AM turning into a grumpy old man. Damn millennials are ruining everything with their love of tech stuff !!)

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-05-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2019 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it is a good option for many other people.

The tools should still be packaged for the customer with printed instruction manuals.

My two cents worth.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2019 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Come on a circle is easy, center peg and a string to the router.
Ovals are not as easy as you need two center pegs and a loop of string that the round base of the router uses as a guide.
You will have to play with the size loop and how far apart the pegs are but that's the fun.

If you are lost just google it, I am sure someone has put together a video.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2019 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jake_Dragon

32849 posts
Member since Jan 2001
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2019 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know how to make the jigs for free-handing them with a router...BUT the lumber I get is small off-cuts from a high-end stair company. Beautiful wood, but small pieces (9-18" long, 1x4-1x12 and mostly 5/4) For 40 bucks a truckload I can afford to burn a lot of it eventually. Once I FINALLY get out of here the shop will be an external wood stove for heat.

Those pieces arent big enough to be free-handing anything. I need to design a jig I can clamp to the table and rotate the wood around the bit, not the router around the wood. Circles is easy, its tossing the oval function in there that has me beddy-beddy-compused

I MAY just end up making 2 jigs for the 2 functions, THATS pretty easy to do.

I'm getting a little impatient to get going on the woodshop (and get AWAY from dealing with people-kind) so am thinking set up the router table (I can mount the scroll saw in it for rough cutting) on the balcony and knock out clocks while I find a place where the owner DOESNT try last-second changes to the deal....<sigh>. Its been 4 times since November.

I can make something like these for 12 bucks my cost and do 10 a day. https://www.etsy.com/listin...-shotgun-shell-clock AND, I know a girl with a cricut machine who can make me stencils so I can add a flag or browning or whatever logo stenciled on.

LOL, at least until the neighbors complain about the noise and dust and the management company shuts me down. Meh, its easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-05-2019).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2019 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see, if you get a router guide bushing you can install it in the table.
Then just find the size template you want to cut and use double sided tape to attach it to the wood.
The template rides along the bushing as the bit cuts the wood

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 05-05-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2019 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get annoyed at all of the news and opinion videos. Most videos waste way too much time without getting to the point. Many times, half of the video is someone trying to prove how clever or talented he is.
Like MEM said, I want info and I want it now.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2019 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My "Get off my lawn" statement is these danged videos to "help" you learn something. Say you are looking for help on a game.

You search and find a video.

30 seconds of irritating intro music at full volume.
30 seconds of "Hello everybody, welcome to the channel you just watched an intro on. I'm Brandon the wang jangler."
30 seconds of him begging you to send him money on Patreon
Video starts. "Today we're going to be doing that thing you want to know about." (He's nowhere near where he should be.)
1 minute later, he's still working on getting to the thing you want to learn about, and getting sidetracked like a squirrel crossing a highway.
2 minutes later, gets to the thing. Doesn't have the things he needs, goes back to grind for them.
5 minutes later, he's working back to the thing.
Gets to the thing, moves so fast you can't see what he's doing.

DONT FORGET TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON LIKE I DO YOUR MOM!
SUBSCRIBE AND SEND ME MONEY ON PATREON SO I DONT HAVE TO GO TO A REAL JOB AND SUCK AT THAT TOO!!

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2019 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Then just find the size template you want to cut and use double sided tape to attach it to the wood.

NEVER thought of it, and I have a set in the storage locker somewhere DOH !
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2019 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

My "Get off my lawn" statement is these danged videos to "help" you learn something. Say you are looking for help on a game.

30 seconds of "Hello everybody, welcome to the channel you just watched an intro on. I'm Brandon the wang jangler."
Video starts. "Today we're going to be doing that thing you want to know about." (He's nowhere near where he should be.)
1 minute later, he's still working on getting to the thing you want to learn about, and getting sidetracked like a squirrel crossing a highway.
2 minutes later, gets to the thing. Doesn't have the things he needs, goes back to grind for them.

SUBSCRIBE AND SEND ME MONEY ON PATREON SO I DONT HAVE TO GO TO A REAL JOB AND SUCK AT THAT TOO!!

That describes every guitar/mandolin/harpsichord repair video I have ever watched. Today I watched an eight minute "how to upgrade a jack plate" video. The damned thing has two lousy screws, that's it. Thirty seconds of work, and his hat was in the way for about half of that.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2019 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

NEVER thought of it, and I have a set in the storage locker somewhere DOH !

Just watch the end grain and hold on to your work!!
Watched a guy router his little finger off because he caught the end grain and kicked the part out of his hand.
I hated using the table after that.
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2019 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Circles and curves it don't matter, but there is a trick to straight end-grain to prevent catching and tear-out...

Clamp another piece on as an extension and cut right past the "joint" line. The bit will "see" it as one continuous piece, and you can stop cutting before you reach the end of the sacrificial piece.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2019 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Hahahahaha you nailed it.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2019 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to add in my origianal post....UNLESS its Demolition Ranch !!

Then yeh, I can probably sit thru 10 minutes of how-to...or 20...or 30...or a week-long marathon

Ya know....just in case...you ever need to cut up a car....with a 120-pound sword....

Or...for that REALLY bad day....

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-06-2019).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2019 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I've cut lots and lots of things (large and small) just like that, both on my home router table and in a professional setting.
I've also done it with vacuum instead of double sided tape---if the edges are sealed, you can pull vacuum thru an mdf template.
Saves having to deal with taping each piece to the template.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2019 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like and have used many "how-to" videos on YouTube.
Some new stuff, some just to refresh my memory.
The "How Stuff Works" videos can be very informative, too.

I'm not fortunate enough to know everything just yet.

In my opinion, the mass of information at my fingertips far outweighs the hassles of filtering for applicable results.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2019 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2019 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I've cut lots and lots of things (large and small) just like that, both on my home router table and in a professional setting.
I've also done it with vacuum instead of double sided tape---if the edges are sealed, you can pull vacuum thru an mdf template.
Saves having to deal with taping each piece to the template.

I thought about adding the vacuum option, we didn't have that setup but I have seen Videos
3 1/2 years in the Navy working in the carpenters shop. I will let you guess how many plaque backs I have cut and then routed on that stupid table.
But we had a nice band saw to cut them to shape and only had to use the router to put a nice 1/4 round on them.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I forgot to add in my origianal post....UNLESS its Demolition Ranch !!

Demolition ranch is quite entertaining.

Even the slower vids (off the ranch). It begins to get goin better around 4 mins.

I find vids can be helpful for car repairs.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also hate those videos where they beak off for 10 minutes before they actually get to the topic...

As for the "ant" problem - there is this way, plus I am sure you can sell it afterwards.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 05-07-2019).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

As for the "ant" problem - there is this way, plus I am sure you can sell it afterwards.

I've seen that its pretty cool
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock