Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  VPN? Shopping. Can anybody recommend one?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
VPN? Shopping. Can anybody recommend one? by Raydar
Started on: 03-26-2019 08:48 PM
Replies: 16 (389 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-29-2019 02:40 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figure it's about time.

Can anyone recommend a favorite? And maybe tell me why you recommend it?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you actually need a VPN, or an andonym?

If a VPN, to what are you trying to connect?
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Astrill here in China. It’s always reliable. The best part is the ability to program a router with it so that all your internet traffic is routed through the VPN. That’s how I play Xbox online.

Astrill also sells routers preloaded with their software.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't buy fear hype costing $100 - $200 or more per year.
Amazon Newegg Banks Netflix and many others use HTTPS on the whole site and don't need VPN.
So your ISP and others may see you use whatever site via DNS lookup but Not Login etc on the site.

All browsers will show when a site has HTTPS on the address bar for each page like FF currently has Green Lock icon...

or

depending on site used

Adding VPN over HTTPS can make the HTTPS site to crawl because of high overhead for useless double encryption and more hops to get data to/from the site.
Do not believe VPN dumps logs etc either.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-27-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-27-2019 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use BitTorrent.
$20 bucks every 3 month.

Simple setup, works well.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How to set up a VPN on Linux in 5 minutes for free:

https://medium.freecodecamp...n-linux-62e1a93d04f3

You’ll need:

1. Computer with Linux OS. I’m using Ubuntu. The commands may be different if you’re not on a Debian based distro.
  2. Admin/Sudo privileges
  3. Basic computer skills
  4. Basic knowledge of what a VPN is
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use HideMyAss for few games where I need to be in a different 'region' to join my overseas friends. They prioritize small packets for VOIP and gaming (the well known games) so it's great ping wise and for discord/voice chat with your gaming buddies. I don't like it for streaming movies or anything though, it doesn't do well and doesn't allow you to watch out of region stuff like Netflix most of the time.

I use Ironsocket for streaming, seems to be the best for that. I no longer torrent but it use to be one of the best for that as well.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do not have to encrypt your VPN traffic. I don't. I just want to get under the great firewall.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just signed up with nordVPN a couple of weeks ago. Seems to work great.
It allowed me to sign onto US Netflix from my Canadian Netflix account!
I got a 3-year term at only $3/month https://nordvpn.com/

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2019 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I use HideMyAss for few games where I need to be in a different 'region' to join my overseas friends. They prioritize small packets for VOIP and gaming (the well known games) so it's great ping wise and for discord/voice chat with your gaming buddies...

I notice that while going online with the new game “Outlaws of the Old West” (Red Dead Redemption for the PC), my VPN wants to group me exclusively with servers from Asia & Europe.
PFF
System Bot
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Avast Securenet.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2019 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Private Internet Access. It's cheap. Don't use it for shopping, at home, but if I am on public wifi on my Iphone, I use it for such things.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-03-2019 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm one of healthy skepticism, so before someone states, take off the tinfoil hat.
Just read without bias and think and then reply.

A)Facebook and other social media ,as been shown to really be a tool to indoctrinate and push narratives. using pushed stories to your news feed. and with the # of eye balls they reach. can move the goal post to whatever is needed.
B) google a seach engine weaponized to only put the hits they think you should read at the top of the list and bury those they think you should not.
c) news media , same thing.
d) web sites that are used to see if a story is real or not (snopes anyone)
e) find your family roots/tree. send us your DNA and pay for it. to be filed and stored data. sold as family history search use but we all know now also used to allow the government and law inforcement to have your dna. on file that they can search.
F) this VPN. it might hide where your at from those online that you are playing video games with, or the web page you're on, and keep your info out of ad data collection. but why do I get the feeling the dept of homeland sur. and other dept. will be able to search/track and log everything pushed through these VPN's and marketed in a way to even get you to pay for the service. just like the DNA.
That these VPN companies are nothing more than shell companies to get folks to pay for the service of being tracked by your and other government dept's.
The user feels safer as his/her a.p.addy is hidden and stream is bounced around the world to different servers. but. my healthy skepticism is going off that there is more hear than it seems.
Remember grasshopper the one that designed the encription, also can also read everything passed through it/using it.
discuss?

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 04-03-2019).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"F" Doesn't bother me; they can collect whatever info they want. They're not going to give away the game over the minor transgressions most people use a VPN for. Downloading Simpson's episodes or watching you tube videos that are blocked in your own country...they won't care. Like the internet used to be, before it became all about big $$$.

The rest of the conspiracy theories are off topic and things that don't matter to me one way or the other.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2019 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All depends on your needs. But look into PIA. From my understanding they’re a “no log” service and have been served warrants. When the warrants came, didn’t have jack to turn over. As always so your own research. There’s a good podcast for privacy and security that can take you as far down an informed rabbit hole as you’d like to go
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nord VPN has been Hack and Hide this for Months.
https://www.theregister.co....dvpn_security_issue/

I've told people you're buying hype...
Now Many YT "Stars" are now looking for a way out of being as___ but since their video have embedded Nord ads is a big problem.

These are a few who didn't bite---
This Video Is Sponsored By ███ VPN. Tom Scott
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDQEoe6ZWY

The cost of shilling VPN companies is your reputation. Louis Rossmann
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1thc5DSHwA

Shilling NordVPN & Youtube Sponsorships EEVblog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiN9d6NnTDA

Some VPN companies have problems w/ their ads on I-net, tv, etc. because of crap claims like...
NordVPN gets ASA scolding over 'misleading' public WiFi risk ad The INQUIRER

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock