Started on: 03-22-2019 11:50 PM
Replies: 18 (437 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 01-28-2020 08:02 PM
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2019 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My girlfriend has a 1997 Suzuki Savage 650, its in great shape and has an amazing 200 miles on it.
Its sat for the last 20 years in a garage gathering dust. It has had the fuel changed a couple of times and her dad did try to start it a couple of times and just gave up.
He has not been feeling well.

So the back story, she paid for the bike but its still in her ex boyfriends name. They split the same time she stopped riding it.
Now technically its still his but as he has left it here for the last 20 years we do have options.
We can get a title by doing a lien sale.

Definition of a lien sale
If a person has repaired, furnished supplies or materials, towed or stored a vehicle AND has not been paid for the services rendered, that person has a lien against the vehicle. The lien arises at the time the registered owner is presented with a written statement of charges for completed work or services.
If the vehicle is towed by a public agency or private towing company, the lien arises when the vehicle is towed or transported. The lien may be satisfied by selling the vehicle through the lien sale process.
To conduct a lien sale, the person/lienholder must have possession of the vehicle and have lien sale authorization from DMV. Interested parties, including the registered and legal owners of record will be notified before the sale occurs.
If the vehicle's value is $4,000 or less, the registered and legal owners of record will be notified by the party conducting the lien. If the vehicle's value is greater than $4,000, DMV notifies all interested parties.

But this is California so I don't know how they handle the past due fees for non registration.

How do I report a vehicle with expired California registration?
Since the California DMV has an aggressive delinquent registration collection process in place, it may be that renewal fees have been paid but other requirements have not been met, such as: smog certification, or clearance of outstanding parking citations. Stickers cannot be issued until all requirements are met.
If the renewal fee is not paid within 30 days following the expiration, DMV sends a series of computer generated delinquent registration notifications to the vehicle owner(s). If the renewal fee still remains unpaid after 90 days, the account is transferred to the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) for collection. FTB has the authority to withhold wages, levy bank accounts, intercept tax refunds, and seize real or personal property to collect delinquent registration fees.

I would like to put the bike back on the road but if it cost more than $1000 I would be better off to contact the state and part the bike out.
From what I gather we can send him a storage bill for the last 60 days at $50 a day or $3000, if he declines to pay us we can do a lien sale and then if no one buys the bike we can apply for a title and keep the bike.
There is also the fact that its been pretty much abandoned on the property for 20 years. I don't know if there is a difference in the process.

Bottom line if its going to be too much trouble we will let it sit for a little longer until we decide what to do.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arlo Guthrie - Motorcycle Song (Live) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvLtNBm1yyA

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do you want to do with it?

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will no doubt need carb work and possibly more. The value of such bikes is very dependent on the potential buyer.

Not long ago I bought a Valkyrie in a similar situation. Had the seller had a viable title, the Valkyrie was worth about $6K, as it was, I bought it for $500 and parted it out. In this case, Valkyrie low mileage parts are hard to come by so, it was a very worthwhile effort. I don't know anything about the bike in question but doubt it's worth the effort unless the ex-boyfriend is willing to sign over the title and past due fees are minimal. Just my opinion. Let us know how this turns out.

Rams
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a statement of identification from dmv, you have to mail it in as part of the lein process. 20 years its probably not in the system. When the paper comes back showing no owner, you can apply for title and register it w no fees. Ive done this plenty of times for old bikes n jetskiis

shem
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Cali back fees are probably going to be more than the bike is worth...

Joe
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

The Cali back fees are probably going to be more than the bike is worth...

Joe

This is what I am more worried about than anything else.

Originally posted by blackrams:

Will no doubt need carb work and possibly more. The value of such bikes is very dependent on the potential buyer.

Not long ago I bought a Valkyrie in a similar situation. Had the seller had a viable title, the Valkyrie was worth about $6K, as it was, I bought it for $500 and parted it out. In this case, Valkyrie low mileage parts are hard to come by so, it was a very worthwhile effort. I don't know anything about the bike in question but doubt it's worth the effort unless the ex-boyfriend is willing to sign over the title and past due fees are minimal. Just my opinion. Let us know how this turns out.

Rams

Its going to need work, that's a given. The end would be a nice around town bike and something that stands out. How many have a 1997 bike with 200 miles on it? As close to a barn find that I will ever have.

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Get a statement of identification from dmv, you have to mail it in as part of the lein process. 20 years its probably not in the system. When the paper comes back showing no owner, you can apply for title and register it w no fees. Ive done this plenty of times for old bikes n jetskiis

shem

The weather is giving me an itch to get it running. You are correct I may just talk to the DMV and see what they have on record.

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

What do you want to do with it?

I would like to get it on the road for this summer then if it proves to be dependable fix the controls so my GF can ride it. My hands are pretty big and the controls are comfortable. My GF hands are small and she has difficulty riding the bike, she can and has put the 190 miles on the bike before it was parked but she isn't comfortable with them.
So the plan was to see if we could get it running and titled for this summer then if its dependable put some more money into it and make it a nice bike for her to ride.

I would hate to part the bike out as nice as it is. Other than the tires needing air and a good bath it looks like its ready for the show room floor.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ron has it absolutely correct. As far as 200 miles, BFD. I have a 98 with 9xxx. Pristine. Clear title. Most importantly. It's been maintained and runs. Even getting the title without penalties. Every piece of rubber including tires needs replaced. No idea the rarity, but part it out and buy something running.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Ron has it absolutely correct. As far as 200 miles, BFD. I have a 98 with 9xxx. Pristine. Clear title. Most importantly. It's been maintained and runs. Even getting the title without penalties. Every piece of rubber including tires needs replaced. No idea the rarity, but part it out and buy something running.

This is my GF first bike. So its kind of a BFD for her. We have talked about selling the bike before, she even had an offer but she is willing to put it in the corner of the garage and let it sit for another 20 years.
I would like to get it running for her but we went down and she sat on a Yamaha and loved the controls, they fit her hand better they were just harder to pull than the Suzuki.
I'm not ready to give up on the bike just yet.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

This is my GF first bike. So its kind of a BFD for her. We have talked about selling the bike before, she even had an offer but she is willing to put it in the corner of the garage and let it sit for another 20 years.
I would like to get it running for her but we went down and she sat on a Yamaha and loved the controls, they fit her hand better they were just harder to pull than the Suzuki.

Understood, you really don't have to explain to a bunch of old two seater fans. I've got two Fieros with my name on the title, one of them has way more invested in it than it's worth or what I'll ever get offered if I decide to sell. The other is a stock CJB Formula I just like having. To most folks, my Fieros are a waste of time, effort and money yet, here they are. Yeah, I understand. So, do what ever you and your girl decide.

Rams

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its her bike so in the end she has to decide. But I know what its like to want your first ride back again.
I want to make her happy
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really don't know the first thing about registration, so maybe this is stupid, but....if you still have friends or family in Ohio, could you get it titled and registered there? Then maybe later, register it behind the iron curtain in California.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-24-2019).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I'd give the county clerk a visit. Every state has regulations on lost titles, abandoned vehicles and vehicles that have not been registered or taxes paid within certain time frames.

I know that in Kentucky I can get a new title on any vehicle if the taxes/registration has not been paid in 5+ years. California will be more difficult I'm sure but, I'd visit whatever agency handles registrations to get a complete picture before I put any money into repairs.

Rams

Edit: Heck, your local bike shop might have some knowledge. Ask first.

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

If it's all sentimental what are you even asking? Throw money at it. A call to the DMV or tag agency is infinitely more useful that asking any of us. It sitting so long really makes it a money pit. You want it to be safe and realiable. Tires. Brakes. Carb. All fluids. Probably fuel lines etc. Suspension parts. Make sure the guts of the tank are good. Any rubber seal will easily be cracked.
You wanted thoughts then you seem pissy when they aren't what you wanted to hear. A lot of used clean running bike for Sunday you're likely to have in repairing this one. If it's any kind of rare parting it could potentially buy her a reliable bike. Worst case scenario though, you contact the guy and he claims it and you lose the bike altogether.
Regardless. It seems like you already had your mind made up.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Worst case scenario though, you contact the guy and he claims it and you lose the bike altogether.

Just looking to see if anyone has had experience registering a bike that has been off the road for 20 years
Its all good, I got what I wanted.
I just don't want her to have any regrets.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do them often, but just search ca lein sale process
Ca didnt get every vehicle into the online system when they did get around to it. If its not in the system, theres no back fees. If his name is still on it, he owes you more than its worth. Do the request for info, takes 4-5 weeks. Then you will see what your options are.

shem

[This message has been edited by shemdogg (edited 03-24-2019).]

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2019 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After 20 years, is the ex-BF still alive?
After 20 years, has he let go enough to simply sign over title to her?

Get title, one way or the other. Sell bike out of Cali to a third party you trust. 3rd party registers bike out of Cali. Are back fees still due? If not, trustworthy 3rd party sells bike to your GF. She registers in Cali as if it had never existed for 20 years.

I believe it's called "washing a title." I don't know if Cali has regs to make that illegal, since I live in NJ. YMMV.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2019 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. She will put the title request in and see if its in the system.
The ex is still around and as long as he doesn't have to pay anything would sign the tittle.
If they say its going to cost more to title it due to back fees than its worth we will either part the bike or let it sit.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been a minute

We have the bike title, its not in her name but the bike hasn't been registered in 20 years so we will probably just take our chances.
She could go to the shop she got it from if nothing else because her name is on all of the payments.

I have been cleaning it up a little bit, but there is nothing to do but dust it off really.
Put gas in it and pulled the old battery.
Put my jump box on it and after a few cranks the bike started like it was just off the lot.
Still have to buy a new battery and sort out some maintenance things but it should be on the road by mid summer.
The hoses and rubber are as soft as the new bikes we have looked at.
It will need an oil change and tires. It probably wouldn't have stored well if this was anywhere else.
Long Beach has great weather.

It will still need the title sorted out and as I haven't had an endorsement on my license in 30 years I now have to take a class.
Will try to get that done soon before it gets hot out and I don't want to deal with the heat and a heavy leather jacket.

But its another thing off the check list of me moving in here and putting her Ex in the past.
Been a long road for the both of us.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 01-28-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock