Started on: 03-17-2019 02:55 PM
Replies: 12 (362 views)
Last post by: LitebulbwithaFiero on 02-14-2020 01:08 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is too bad I can not include a frown face in my message icon, along with the smiley face.

First, the frown news. From the Bandera Bulletin, our weekly news rag, on the first page.

BELOVED VETERAN DEAD AT AGE OF 103
WW II Veteran, Stanley Johnson, a centenarian, and beloved figure at events in Bandera, died Tuesday March 5th. He was our oldest surviving WW II veteran.

Last week, 92 year old Charles Maltsberger died. He served in the Army and was honorably discharged in 1946.

To both, I owe my gratitude.

Now, the fun news. Also reported in the Bandera Bulletin. Again, front page news ! Of last week.

THE WILD HOG EXPLOSION CANCELLED

This was a yearly fun event, a fund raiser for our local library. Organized by our library. The action group which organized the festivities was the "Warriors Heart". The Warriors Heart pulled out due to pressure from outside agitators. In this case, an animal rights mob. Pressures which included 'death threats' from keyboard warriors.

My library claimed, that with less than a week to go, they could not reorganize the event. Thus the cancellation.

I first learned about this travesty on the radio. A local DJ, from the next town over (Kerrville), whose head is on straight, derided us for giving up. Saying it was not the Texas way. I felt ashamed.

In steps the Bandera Wranglers. With less than a week to go. The next weeks headlines ?

HOG EVENT RETURNS AS "BACON BASH". The library wanted to keep the "WILD HOG EXPLOSION" moniker. The Bandera Wranglers donated all procecdes the the Boy's and Girls Club of Bandera County.

What was cliffw to do ?

ATTEND !

What a great time I had ! I don't remember when I laughed as much and clapped so much. I also met many great 'neighbors'.

Oh yeah, the outside agitators showed up. What can I say ? I went to meet them, . I never did. I was having too much fun. I got there early, the early bird gets the worm. I was looking for those that 'did not fit in'. I was expecting seeing a good 'ole' fashioned Texas Howdy Do.

I was 'a looking for them and in walks a local who mentioned they were protesting outside the gate. Heck, I was having too much fun.

I did notice a drone, thought it was cool, and was watching it. It had a camera. I noticed the drones camera filming the contests, then the crowd, and then it left. I watched it land, outside the gates. Hmm ... It was them, Unparalleled Suffering.

I urge you to check out their "cause". I did before I decided to attend. I did more intelligence on them. They claim we eat decaying meat ? Question ? Do you eat live meat, ?

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 03-17-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah man, I just cruised through there yesterday on my way back from Marfa. Had I known there was a bacon bash going on... I'd totally have been there!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Ah man, I just cruised through there yesterday on my way back from Marfa. Had I known there was a bacon bash going on... I'd totally have been there!

Did you see the Marfa Lights?

(Jane and I saw them about 15 years ago.....I had always been a skeptic, but yes, they are real)
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry I missed the opportunity to meet you Todd.

Bandera, in it's own right, is a tourist town. More than that but we get plenty of visitors. I know some 'off the regular tourist beat' interesting sights to see.

Coming back from Marfa, going through Bandera, to get to the north side of San Antonio ? I admire your desire to stop and smell the roses in your travels. I guess you went through Kerrville.

Did you have the time to stop in Bandera ? Umm, ask questions, get aware of it's history, events, and other such things that made your detour worth it ? I remember you posting that you wanted to take your daughter to a Dude Ranch. Some are better than others.

Thinking you went through Kerrville, on the way to Bandera, did you see any Buffalo ? here are like three ranches between Kerrville and Bandera, which have small sized herds, which are sometimes in the roadside pastures. One has both Buffalo and Zebras.

If you saw Marfa, I hope you took the opportunity to go to Big Bend National Park. You were oh so close, considering how far Marfa is from us.

I swear Todd, it's not just Texas, everyplace I go is worth going back to.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
THE WILD HOG EXPLOSION CANCELLED

This was a yearly fun event, a fund raiser for our local library. Organized by our library. The action group which organized the festivities was the "Warriors Heart". The Warriors Heart pulled out due to pressure from outside agitators. In this case, an animal rights mob. Pressures which included 'death threats' from keyboard warriors.

HOG EVENT RETURNS AS "BACON BASH".
What was cliffw to do ?

ATTEND !

I guess we are on "The List"

This year, the Chicken Toss" was cancelled.

What is cliffw to do ?

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen the chicken toss or chicken run at Mardi Gras all over S. Louisiana in past years. Usually done from a horse or horsedrawn wagon.
Plenty of video documentation regarding it on youtube. These are the traditional mardi gras celebrations as they were done in the 1800s...not the big city parades you see on tv.

(Someone will probably be along shortly to explain to all the 'unwoke' folks, that these celebrations and costumes are racist.)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-13-2020).]

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These celebrations and costumes are racist.

How dare you, how dare you

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 02-13-2020).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this one of Trumps racist policies?
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Did you see the Marfa Lights?

I didn't even now she could illuminate.

Do Agafa, Berfa and Yolanfa have the same ability?

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Bacon Bash?

No idea exactly what that is but, I will say this, I love bacon. (and it shows)

Rams
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I have seen the chicken toss or chicken run at Mardi Gras all over S. Louisiana in past years. Usually done from a horse or horsedrawn wagon.
Plenty of video documentation regarding it on youtube. These are the traditional mardi gras celebrations as they were done in the 1800s...not the big city parades you see on tv.

That looks like a lot of fun... always down for some Louisiana Mardi Gras action, though I think most of those costumes look more scary than they do fun.

I have to say though, what is up with this dude's violin? I've never seen so much rosin dust in my life. Dude really needs to take care of his violin. Is this a thing for fiddlers, as opposed to concert violinists? Kind of like the NAVY Chief's coffee cup, you don't clean it because the more staining, the more established it is?

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

These celebrations and costumes are racist.

How dare you, how dare you

It's not racist, it's speciel appropriation.

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have to say though, what is up with this dude's violin? I've never seen so much rosin dust in my life. Dude really needs to take care of his violin. Is this a thing for fiddlers, as opposed to concert violinists?

It is.

Charlie Daniels:

Michael Cleveland:

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think they just got sloppy with their nose powder...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock